Prescription prepayments ....

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Just a heads up for anyone doesn't know about this, for £10.40 / month you can get unlimited prescriptions dispensed on the NHS, with a single prescription fast approaching £10 it is going to make a massive difference to anyone who needs more than one dispensed a month :)

D

Deleted member 498601

Thanks, but I think prescripton pre-payment cards aren't new, is this a direct debit kind of system instead?

blue max

Distinguished Member
Thanks for making that known. Not something I have any need for fortunately, but certainly useful for anyone I know who falls into that category.

D

Deleted member 498601

Direct debit yes ....

Cool, I'll look into this
clear.png

IronGiant

You break even on 13 a year and start saving above that. Note: The prepayment fee tends to rise in line with prescription charges, so it is unlikely to become "better value" if charges go up* :). It only becomes better value if you get sicker ;)

* obviously you will benefit if they go up during that year.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
The wife just renewed hers today, she's asthmatic so £104 against the guaranteed £193 she'd have to pay for inhalers make sense.

Ironically £8.05 per prescription for them here, but when we're in Spain we can pick her inhalers up for €4

Last edited:

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I have four items on each prescription so it would cost a fortune if I paid for each item. What I do is get a years worth of prescriptions from the docs, then buy a 3 month PPC and get the prescriptions filled over the three month period.

Phil57

Also, be aware that certain illness(s) give you the right to free prescriptions for that illness and any other illness (related or not)
I mention this as for example my brother in law had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and hadn't been told by his doctor or practice nurse, it cost him nearly six months of prescriptions which should have been free.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Also, be aware that certain illness(s) give you the right to free prescriptions for that illness and any other illness (related or not)
I mention this as for example my brother in law had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and hadn't been told by his doctor or practice nurse, it cost him nearly six months of prescriptions which should have been free.
I had it in my head that Type 2 didn't qualify but apparently it does, as long as you're on medication for it. I'm coming up to a year on Metformin for which I've been paying, as I was never advised otherwise either. I shall be having words. :(

Details of categories of help here.

Last edited:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member

Could he have not claimed it back ? ....

RuddyRoad

The wife just renewed hers today, she's asthmatic so £104 against the guaranteed £193 she'd have to pay for inhalers make sense.

Ironically £8.05 per prescription for them here, but when we're in Spain we can pick her inhalers up for €4
Ironic? It's a different healthcare system, so some things will be priced differently. Wine is cheaper there too you know, but it costs £1.50 for a can of Heinz beans. I'm just messing with you :)

Phil57

Could he have not claimed it back ? ....
From what I understand, one can only get a refund of one month prior to the exception certificate application being received by the relevant NHS department.

IronGiant

I think that is correct.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Ironic? It's a different healthcare system, so some things will be priced differently. Wine is cheaper there too you know, but it costs £1.50 for a can of Heinz beans. I'm just messing with you :)

The ironic part is the inhalers are the same ones she gets in the UK, made in the UK then exported to Spain and still cost less.

RuddyRoad

The prescription charge in the UK has nothing to do with the cost of the item though. It's just a revenue stream, like tax. I think I get what you are saying though, and like I say, I'm just being pedantic.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
The ironic part is the inhalers are the same ones she gets in the UK, made in the UK then exported to Spain and still cost less.
We were on holiday in the US and I lost my inhaler and they charged $80 for the exact same inhaler. I took the risk of completing our trip without one. If I was hospitalised that would have been covered by my travel insurance, the inhaler wasn't.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I had pretty bad asthma my whole life but now I'm virtually cured.

I seldom use my blue inhaler at all.

All I did was learn to control my breathing and force myself using special techniques, to only ever breath through my nose.

I used to spend a fortune on inhalers and was on these ridiculous steroid preventative inhalers.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Just a quick thank you to Phil57 as my Exemption Certificate is on the way, saving me the annual fee. :clap:

Sadly there is no way of claiming a refund for the last 12 months that I've been paying as no-one told me I was entitled to exemption. If you have to pay for prescriptions while the application is being processed you can reclaim that as long as you have the right forms. :(

Refunds
If you have to pay for any prescriptions before your certificate arrives you may be able to claim a refund. Ask your pharmacist at the time you pay for an FP57 receipt and refund claim form. You cannot get one later.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
You used to be able to buy an annual "Season Ticket" for circa £120, which then covered you for prescription costs.

blicky_1

I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer earlier this year (Chordoma) that i'm awaiting surgery for anytime soon, I was not told ANY form of cancer makes you exempt......just filled in a form got the GP to sign it and got a 5 year exempt card through the post a week or so later.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer earlier this year (Chordoma) that i'm awaiting surgery for anytime soon, I was not told ANY form of cancer makes you exempt......just filled in a form got the GP to sign it and got a 5 year exempt card through the post a week or so later.
Hope all goes well with surgery, and fingers crossed you make a full recovery.
I too have cancer, well I've had my tumor removed just awaiting radiotherapy. If you want to talk feel free to fire a PM at me.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio