1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

preparing for install..Q's..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rob_w, Jul 3, 2003.

1. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to put my barco data800 up, and have a few questions before I put up some unistrut etc.

My screen size :72" x 40.5"
    hcpc @ 1024x576

1) When I've deleted all blocks and set all parameters to midpoint, the blue raster is way over to one side(it needs nearly all of the shift to put it central) Can I set it to middle mechanically ?

2)A lot of talk about G2 voltage. Does this appear as a slightly wavy pic/ or slight hazy horizontal lines on whites?

3) My screen is 16:9, and if I position the pj the recommended distance (102" to front mounting bracket - Barco lens program)then the pic is too big for the screen, and the vertical size has to be squashed to the limit. (still overuns by 6/8" top and bottom) and also softens the pic way too much. Can I put the pj as close as possible to the screen so I do the maximum horizontal stretch, and minimum vertical squash? ie: left and right edges of tube just off the edges of the screen.

4) I read Chris Frost mention shims for the angle of projection. Does this apply to me?

I think I've rambled enough for now :blush:

Cheers

Rob

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've searched through all the stuff I've read before, and took a gamble on the brass topped pots. This has centred the blue raster for me,

So we can scrub Q1 :)

1)Are the g2 adjustment pots the ones deep inside the white plastic cylinders ( have to go through the ally side panel to adjust?) Looking from back of pj (table mount)they're on the left hand side.

If yes they dont seem to make a difference :confused:

2) I'm still not sure of the distance from screen. I've re-set all up tonight the recommended distance, and the vertical size adjustment is on 0. The picture is still too large heightwise for the screen, and I can't see scanlines with my nose on the screen. (1024x576 res @72Hz)

3) What about the shims? will they apply to a ceiling mounted install?

If anyone can point me to a pdf of the intallation manual I'd be grateful - I've got the owners manual, but can't find the installation one.

Cheers

Rob

3. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Brian,

I've got the beamer site in my favorites, but when I looked for that a week back it had the manual as 4 seperate zips, and the links didn't work.

Unless I'm going loopy :clown: (more likely)

Rob

5. zap

zap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The G2 adjustments are on the right hand side rear ish (table mount) There are 6 pots in total 3 of the pots are for electrostatic focus adjustment and the other 3 are G2. The pots are red plastic (if I remember correctly) Do not push the G2 too far on the 800. It is very tempting but could cause damage in the long run.

1024x576 is pushing this projector quite hard I used to run mine at 800x600 which seemed to me to give better results. Try the widescreen equivelent of 800x600.

6. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, Zap.

Only prob with stretching the 4:3 is that games and desktop get stetched aswell.

Cheers

Rob

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Rob the ones you adjusted are the width/linearity coils which will make you convergance a bit tricky. they should only be touched if you replace a tube.

I written the proceedure of G2 adjustmets so many times (at least five over the last few years) it must show up on a search.

One last time.
    Find a bit of black video and pause it. turn the contrast down to 0 and the brightness down low probably about 30 some people recon 50 some say 0 too so may be 25....what ever. Find the 6 coloured thumb wheels and leave the top (floor mounted) set allone they do the focus. adjust the G" settings untill the raster just starts to glow as you look down the tube do this for each colour.

800x600 is about as high as an BD800 should be pushed if you want to see scan lines.

The shims are very expensive washers that come in plastic bag that was thrown away with the box your projector came with. They go between the lens and the tube mount. Unless you have seroius corner focus issues I would forget them for now.

Just to go back to your very first point, you have found the correct adjusters. Make sure that your middle convergence setting is set to 50% this will make your convergence later far mor stable.

8. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roland,

I found the other threads before I posted, but could find no mention of where the adjusters for G2 were:blush:

Looks like I made a booboo with the other adjusters - I'll try to get them to mid position, and hope I can get it converged properly. Do you mean they adjust horizontal linearity?

I set the pc to 800x600, and still no scanlines - vertical squash still at full tilt. I'm making a trolley on castors at work so I can push the pj towards the screen and find the nearest I can go on screen width, so the vertical squash is smaller, and the horizontal stretch bigger, if that makes sense.

I've got a black window in Avia, buts it's NTSC. I think I read somewhere that the PAL black is a lower IRE. Anyhows, using this black it looks like the settings were way too high.

Cheers

Rob

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Roland,
    Ask the mods to make the procedure a "sticky"
    Cheers.
    Tim.

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry I didn't mean I was fed up with answering questions on it we are here to help each other

11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Roland,
    What you got to be sorry about?:D i know how mundane it is to write procedures over & over, just write one out & ask the mods to make it a "sticky" (a permanent note at the top of a thread)
    Cheers.
    Tim.

12. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd let you know that I've been playing with resolutions, and the best for image so far is 848 x 480 - This seems to stop the lines overlapping, and creates a sharper picture.

However, this is with the pj on the floor, using nearly all the keystone to get it square - maybe when it's on the ceiling proper it will be more 'within spec', and produce better at higher res'?

Cheers

Rob

btw Roland - can I fix the messing I did with the width/linearity coils ?