1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

preparing files to burn to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cheenis, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes!

I've got a 9Gb file which I wish split down into three chunks (3 Gb each) The first 3Gb I will discard and the second and third chunks I want to burn onto two separate DVD-R.

Software wise I have Nero and I have ULEAD Movie Factory.

I have used the Ulead software to make the chunks, etc. and everything was going well until I tried to burn. It got 1/3 of the way through and then suggested that I don't have enough memory. The machine I am doing this on has 1Gb of Ram and 320Gb of HD, about 160Gb of which is used, hence I'm not convinced by this error message.

Has anybody experienced this?
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Can anybody recommend other software to use?
    Is there any help for me at all - excluding the obvious mental help I require!

Looking forward to your thoughts/ advice!

Cheers,

Chris

2. volvofl10

volvofl10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    not sure on whats causing the problem, but i use dvdshrink to break a large file down, to 2 or more discs
    dvdshrink is freeware from here
    by large file i mean several .vob's , if its 1 large .vro, then you will have to convert it using tmpgenc author first, then dvdshrink.
    you can split a large file up in tmpgauthor, then change into .vobs for use with shrink.

basically i use the open files button ,ire-author buttton, and drag the coresponding middle section over to the left pane, and back up a an iso, then do the same again with the last section you want to save.

its possible to shrink your 6gb onto 1 disc, but you will lose some quality by compressing so much, if you can lose some menus, extra sound tracks and foreign subtitles, you may make it small enough to go on 1 disc . i wouldnt go less than 70% compresion though.

i have heard that some people have problems burning with nero, i dont use it myself, so cant advise what to use instead.
    i always use dvddecryptors burning engine to burn .iso's

3. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is fantastic help thanks! Looks like I will have a busy weekend! It's a couple of hours worth of TV, so by the time I take all the adverts out I probably won't need to shrink it that much, so this sounds perfect. I presume that it will still run on a normal DVD player once shrunk (sorry, I am new to this stuff)

I am assuming that it only affects quality, rather than needing something on the player to understand the shrunk version - in the same way that you can take a digital photo and make that smaller by reducing the quality.

Many thanks Volvofl10!

Chris.

4. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following a weekend of trials I found the following to work - just in case anyone was interested in the outcome.

Basically, I used the ULEAD Movie Factory to cut and edit my video, from there I got it to create the VOB files and save them to my hard disk & didn't get it to burn the actual DVD. Once I had the .vob files, I then chucked them into Nero to burn the final output. 2 hours of TV minus adverts went into DVDshrink at 87% and fitted perfectly to a single DVD. Perfect.

Didn't get time to try out the tmpgauthor software you talked about, but will when I get an hour or so.

Cheers for the help.

Chris.