Preparation:-What is the best TV to look out for on Black Friday / 2018 spring reductions.

Is there any particular reason for concern, or just that it's a relatively new joint venture/ownership transition?

I genuinely don't care who owns Philips. The track record of this brand has been a disaster in recent memory...
Their product are good and sometimes superb but if I go by the last 3-5 years...
Very very unreliable in term of release and availability...
Really hope they improve this under the tp umbrella...especially in the uk

I had originally read that it was supposed to be a 2017 panel, but that dutch review threw me off.
Actually there is less difference in testing than I thought between 2016 and 2017 panels.

I guess the newer ones are simply a refresh, similar to tick/tock in processor fabrication. 2018 should be a new design of panel...I think.

It sounds like that currently unless you pay a high price then the mid range UHD TVs are not worth the upgrade from HD, unless of course the remaining SD channels, which amount to about 75% of all channels, change to at least HD very quickly.

@bryfly the very high end TVs are supposed to do a better job. Some people prefer Sony's picture processing but I don't personally find a difference at all. To me they all look bad. Maybe with a TV like the Sony ZD9 they will look better.

I'll try my best to make an overview article when I get the time.

It would be really helpful if you get time to make an overview article, having read the whole thread as a non tech it became a minefield to me towards the end with all the talk about:- 1000 nits, quantum dots, 2016,2017 panels versus 2018 panels etc, I have noted the recommended models mentioned earlier in the post, but if you do an overview article it would be great if you could mention which of the recommended models perform well with an SD picture.

From some of the comments in the thread it sounds like it might be worth sticking with my HD Panasonic giving the 2017 models a miss and wait for the 2018 models which may or may not improve on SD picture quality, as SD is obviously going to be with us for sometime as TV technology has advanced quicker than the technology for transmission .

I don't agree at all. @Steve Withers has even stated that the LG OLEDS this years 2017 models have improved (albeit not massively), compared to the 2016 models and even concluded that they have hit a sweet point and would recommend buying one.

On the OLED front, the Sony A1 would be a model i'd shortlist but tbh cannot see a massive price drop compared to LG's models.

I do agree that on the LCD front, there hasn't been any real change and has been disappointing.

I did say for me it's been a disappointing year. Unfortunately OLED out of my price range.

I was looking at a worthy successor to the KS7000 priced around the £1000 mark.

The MU7000 certainly was not

Having tried to absorb all the info in this thread it looks like come black Friday / spring time, my best choice at 50” is between Panasonic:- 50EX750B (£1129) & Sony:- 49XE9005 (£1249) and
at 55” is between Panasonic:- 58EX750B (£1499) & Sony:- 55XE9005 (£1399)
from various comments here, I guess when on offer I can expect the price of the above models to be around £800 to £1100, has anybody a view to which would be the best model to go for, especially as I will be viewing a fair amount of SD, I am currently favouring the Panasonic, for no other reason than that is what I have currently.

It depends how highly you rate HDR, the Panasonic EX-750 is not a capable HDR TV unlike the Sony XE9005.

SD wise upscaling is about as poor on all of them, don't expect much in the way of SD on an UHD TV. In a recent shootout between the Sony A1 OLED and Panasonic EZ1000 OLED the Sony won with upscaling slightly, but not by much. SD will always look poor, you can't really polish a turd.

It depends how highly you rate HDR, the Panasonic EX-750 is not a capable HDR TV unlike the Sony XE9005.
SD wise upscaling is about as poor on all of them, don't expect much in the way of SD on an UHD TV. In a recent shootout between the Sony A1 OLED and Panasonic EZ1000 OLED the Sony won with upscaling slightly, but not by much. SD will always look poor, you can't really polish a turd.

Just start to wonder why I'm changing, currently have a Pan Viera TX-L50ET60B which is 4 years old , so thought it was time to update, but not so sure now!

If you aren't sure whether to upgrade take a look at my UHD Vs HD link in my signature.

I think your current TV uses an IPS type panel so provided you don't need wide viewing angles you will get an upgrade in contrast and blacks...just the SD material that won't be an upgrade really.

Everything else...well it depends what you use the TV for. If you have lots of UHD and HDR content and plan to view close enough to an UHD TV then yes it can be a big upgrade.

Great thread as I was looking to have the same question answered. I've got a budget of £1000- 1200 and I'm looking for a new TV.

I'm happy to wait for the sales buy I haave no clue what to look out for.

Here's what I'm after:
- 49 -55 inch
- Used for SD, HD (sky and Netflix) Gaming (Xbox and soon Xbox One X) and blu-rays.
- Viewing distance 1-2 meters ( Usually closer for gaming )

Any Tv's I should be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.

It seems like your answer is the same for 99% of people @Crunx

Sony 55XD9005. Maybe just maybe if you wait until spring next year you will be able to afford the XE9305.

SD - don't expect it to look any better, in my opinion on UHD TVs, even with Sonys great upscaling, look poor with SD.

Don't be fooled by the hype, if you want to get the most from an UHD TV you will be looking to upgrade your sources.

The Samsung models this year don't seem to be any better than last years models, but if a better price is found on them compared to the Sony's then they may also be contenders.

Panasonic and LG don't have any LCDs decent with HDR.

Hisense and Philips are due to release LCDs that should be at least decent/good with HDR, but no idea when it will be. They may be in your budget.

Been into JL to look at the various TV's and have a play, HD good on all 3 sets but wanted to see how they handled an SD picture, tried the Sony55xe9005, and two OLED's the LG OLED55b7v and Panasonic 55EZ952B, I know it is subjective + how the TV is set up but the Sony was terrible in SD and the two OLED's I thought were much better, so think I will go for one of the two OLED's, hopefully when the prices drop might be able to pick one up at a better price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom