Preparation:-What is the best TV to look out for on Black Friday / 2018 spring reductions.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by bryfly, Aug 11, 2017.

1. bryfly

bryfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    There are lots of posts on this forum about the best way to find the best deals on good TV’s is to look for some of the top outgoing 2016 models.

I and probably others will be hanging on for the 2017 models to be reduced around Black Friday / new year, I personally will be looking for a 50”/55”, it might be a good idea if possible to list this year’s best TV’s that are likely to fall in price, so those that are waiting can be prepared and jump on the deals immediately.

I’m not savvy enough to create such a list, if worthwhile ,maybe our resident experts will be helpful enough to venture their thoughts.

2. garryboy

garryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I'd be looking at Sony XE9005 for around £1000 in the sales.
    Seems to be one of the only decent models of 2017.

For me 2017 has been a really disappointing year for tvs.

I feel the TVs have been way overpriced this year with no real improvement in technology Over last years model.

Take the Samsung MU7000 for an example and compare it to last years ks7000 which had quantum dot technology.

Think they pulling the wool over the eyes of the novice buyers who may assume it's a direct replacement/upgrade on last years model.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Every tv will be reduced over time, there aren't really any exceptions.

55" is usually the size where you find the biggest reductions.

Which models you look at depends how much you're willing to spend.

For example last year people were picking up LG 55B6's for as low as £1750 with discount codes plus cashback.

Keep an eye on the OLED price change thread.

Obviously there are tv's that stand out being promising like the Sony XE9005, XE93005 but I predict pricing on these won't be quite as well discounted as models from Samsung and LG. Sony tend to be more conservative with their stock, perhaps since they don't sell as many as LG or Samsung.

So this probably also means that tvs like the Samsung Q series will be discounted lots, they should be because they aren't really any better than last year's KS series flagship!

Other Samsung models are a bit different this year,.I'll try my best to make an overview article when I get the time.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    At 50" it'll be the Sony XE90 and Samsung Q7 that'll be the big sellers among those who want the best cutting edge stuff. The LG SJ80/SJ81, Panasonic EX750 and Philips PUS7502 would be the best for their respective brands.

At 55" it'll be the Sony XE93 and the OLEDs that'll be the most talked about models.

The Sony ZD9 is well worth a look at 65" if there's no physical size limit. Ex-display models are already going for £2.5k

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    Very nicely done.
    Allow me to make a small variation. You and @Dodgexander resumed it well.

At 50 and 55, the battle will be between xe90, xe93 and Samsung q7. Pana 50 and 58 ex750 will also sell for very cheap. However, Samsung will go very low indeed as horrible year for them (cutting production by 10-15 percent officially is a big big hint). Notice, i don't even mention lg or Philips LCD as not worth it in my books this year.

At 55, oled battle will happen but different price category full stop. B7/c7 and new Philips/pana oled plus sony a1

At 65. The xe90 will hit £1800 or much lower as just seen it priced abroad. Zd9 will go for around £2500 (already seen this price in August several times and cursing my small flat) especially if a zd10 is announced in September ifa event. Difficult price positioning for the xe93 stuck in between

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    If the rumoured 8602 materialises and offers comparable performance to the 7601 but in 55" then Philips may have a contender. Another potential IFA launch.

7. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    I missed this one. A direct lid with quantum dot and potentially the p5 chip? Interesting..

Just don't get why they mention 1000 nits for an LCD? Doesn't make sense as usually for oled only. Unless they want to make sure the LCD hits enough nits ???

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    The rest of the range, and the previous PUS7601 were dimmer, hitting about 450cd/m². It definitely needs the extra brightness if it wants to compete with models like the XE93.

9. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    Thanks for all these info. 1000 nits is becoming a minimum for LCD and hope they will try to achieve that number on 20 percent window with a bit more on 10 percent.

Forgot about this 8 series and if they manage to bring a full led with quantum dot plus Dolby vision, that will be a very smart move.

Hope you reading this Philips/to vision because there is a gap in the Market for well priced LCD with fald and dv. Not everyone can afford an oled right now.

@Dodgexander @Steve Withers do you know if The Philips review planned soon. I expect it to be in the avforum offices just after the event. Performance of the new p5 are very interesting on oled and LCD.

10. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Given the recently launched POS9002 doesn't have support for Dolby Vision I wouldn't expect it on this cheaper model.

Generally though if we get a KS9500 without the frills for £1500 in 55" then it could be a very tempting prospect for a lot of people.

Even if it's only offering XE90 performance then another competitor at that level is no bad thing.

11. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    Will depend on how many zones for the fald and the local dimming. Need it to be as good as the xe93

Something tells me Philips will bite dv so let's hope my hunch is right

12. bryfly

bryfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the input guys really interesting to read, from reading other threads it would appear that any of these TVs will give a worse SD picture than my current HD Set, does any of the mentioned sets perform better for SD then the others?

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    @Goldorak to answer your question I don't know.

The problem with it is though is that Philips are so far behind others with their release schedules and their availability in the UK is very poor. I don't think last years 7601 was reviewed here, there have been reviews of last years PUS6501 and PUS7101 but not 7601..in fact very little 7601's made it to the UK as far as I know.

So the chances of an 8601 review...slim..but I don't know for sure.

@bryfly the very high end TVs are supposed to do a better job. Some people prefer Sony's picture processing but I don't personally find a difference at all. To me they all look bad. Maybe with a TV like the Sony ZD9 they will look better.

14. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    Thanks for reply.
    By review, I meant for the latest oled which was available. I was expecting Philips to leave it with avforum for a review. The least they could do really
    Beside the oled performance, trying to work out if that p5 is worth all the hype

However, you are right, philips could produce the best TV in the universe, it will remain nada/zero if distribution in U.K. Remains that poor. Time will tell.

15. bryfly

bryfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It sounds like that currently unless you pay a high price then the mid range UHD TVs are not worth the upgrade from HD, unless of course the remaining SD channels, which amount to about 75% of all channels, change to at least HD very quickly.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    The review model was actually given away to a member at the event. Philips held the event and AVF were invited, but I guess Phil and Steve will probably have good contacts with Philips to obtain one for review.

The problem with it though is its a 2016 panel, so the other 2017 OLEDs from Panasonic, Sony, LG will have the improved panel type. Bad availability + late release means they will get left behind, even though I do like what Philips are doing with their OLEDs, they need to release them faster. This is poor due to the improvements in 2017 with brighter HDR, better ABL and near blacks.

But if you can find one and pricing is as good as I have seen it may still be a good buy.

17. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    It was reviewed here:
    Philips 65PUS7601 UHD 4K TV Review

I think most of the other big UK sites/publications reviewed it too. HDTV Test and What Hi-Fi both reviewed it.

Online availability was pretty good. It's been out of stock occasionally, but definitely available for most of the time and still in stock now:
    65PUS7601 | Philips | 65” | Smart | ao.com

It didn't get picked up by many showrooms. I know Harrods had the Ambilux model in the shop but I'm not a Londoner so I don't know if they had the 7601 as well.

I'm surprised the 9002 is the 2016 panel like the 901 though, that seems odd timing.

18. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    A 2016 panel in a set released this year? I hope this is a joke. Doesn't make sense since TV can hit the peak brightness related to 2017 panels plus no 3D.

Doesn't matter because à philips oled will
    not interest me. Their 8 series fald lcd with quantum dot and p5 may if priced right. this year ifa will be interesting.

19. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    I don't agree at all. @Steve Withers has even stated that the LG OLEDS this years 2017 models have improved (albeit not massively), compared to the 2016 models and even concluded that they have hit a sweet point and would recommend buying one.

On the OLED front, the Sony A1 would be a model i'd shortlist but tbh cannot see a massive price drop compared to LG's models.

I do agree that on the LCD front, there hasn't been any real change and has been disappointing.

20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Philips are so far behind it's embarrassing. Unless their new OLED ships now with 2017 panels. Even the LCDs are behind with HDR vs other brands.

Shame really because their motion seems amongst the best!

21. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    The new oled must have the 2017 panels
    If they release a Quantum dot LCD fald with p5 in sept then they may be back in the game (8 series half confirmed)

22. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Well, it has been reviewed and tested that it has a 2016 panel. Strange I know as I expected they would have 17 panels too. Another user actually corrected me when I told him I thought it was a 17 panel.

Translate from Dutch: Review: Philips 55POS9002 oled-tv

FALD likely me similar to 7601. Good value tv but not as good as Samsung's KD9500 or Panasonic DX-902. Especially with HDR. The 7601 was also 65" only.

23. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    The only claim to it being a 2016 panel is that is supposedly still has a 3D filter. I think some UK tech review site also (was first to) claimed the Philips has a 2016 'just like the Sony and Panasonic' and that only LG had 2017 panels :rolleyes:.
    It was possible to watch 3D on the 901 so if the 9002 still has a 3D filter the same method that worked on the 901 should also work for the 9002.
    Iirc it was hooking up a laptop/pc to it and force/play 3D with VLC player ...

edit: this was the article Philips 55POS9002 OLED preview: Stunning flagship TV with P5 processing and Ambilight - Pocket-lint
    The pixel structure for the A1 is exactly the same as the E7, W7, ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  24. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    If they don't add a 2017 panel, i have no time for their oled
    As for the 8 series, I am still intrigued as they may have an interesting beast. Time will tell but an xe90 brother boosted with quantum dot and a p5 chipset could be interesting. Philips tends to beef up its processing and android exoerience much better in general from reviewers...

It is Philips and tp vision reliability I am more worried about.

25. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Is there any particular reason for concern, or just that it's a relatively new joint venture/ownership transition?

26. Goldorak

Goldorak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    I genuinely don't care who owns Philips. The track record of this brand has been a disaster in recent memory...
    Their product are good and sometimes superb but if I go by the last 3-5 years...
    Very very unreliable in term of release and availability...
    Really hope they improve this under the tp umbrella...especially in the uk

27. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    I had originally read that it was supposed to be a 2017 panel, but that dutch review threw me off.
    Actually there is less difference in testing than I thought between 2016 and 2017 panels.

I guess the newer ones are simply a refresh, similar to tick/tock in processor fabrication. 2018 should be a new design of panel...I think.

28. bryfly

bryfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It would be really helpful if you get time to make an overview article, having read the whole thread as a non tech it became a minefield to me towards the end with all the talk about:- 1000 nits, quantum dots, 2016,2017 panels versus 2018 panels etc, I have noted the recommended models mentioned earlier in the post, but if you do an overview article it would be great if you could mention which of the recommended models perform well with an SD picture.

From some of the comments in the thread it sounds like it might be worth sticking with my HD Panasonic giving the 2017 models a miss and wait for the 2018 models which may or may not improve on SD picture quality, as SD is obviously going to be with us for sometime as TV technology has advanced quicker than the technology for transmission .

29. garryboy

garryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I did say for me it's been a disappointing year. Unfortunately OLED out of my price range.

I was looking at a worthy successor to the KS7000 priced around the £1000 mark.

The MU7000 certainly was not

30. bryfly

bryfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Having tried to absorb all the info in this thread it looks like come black Friday / spring time, my best choice at 50” is between Panasonic:- 50EX750B (£1129) & Sony:- 49XE9005 (£1249) and
    at 55” is between Panasonic:- 58EX750B (£1499) & Sony:- 55XE9005 (£1399)
    from various comments here, I guess when on offer I can expect the price of the above models to be around £800 to £1100, has anybody a view to which would be the best model to go for, especially as I will be viewing a fair amount of SD, I am currently favouring the Panasonic, for no other reason than that is what I have currently.