PReP ... how's it working for you?

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, what's been happening? DVDO told me they've released a public beta VP50 firmware with PReP.

What do you think?

StooMonster

before upgrading to 1.01 I used skyHD set to 1080i all the time as it gave me the best picture, and it worked flawlessly.

after upgrading to 1.01 with prep and skyHD set to auto, I do notice occasional oddities e.g an occasional scene in a film that runs really slowly, you know, the kind of effect you get with a strobeing light, every thing is in slow motion. Also watching BBC1 last night, during 1 program (can't remember which) I was getting large white blobs flash on the screen about 3 times in a half hour program. Now all this may be the source, but all I can say is I never had any oddities before upgrading from 1.00.

:offtopic: What does really annoy me though, is that you can't override the HDMI auto aspect ratio function once enabled. especially as it forces 4:3 mode on all material when you first switch on the sky box. I have to select a 4:3 channel then switch back to a wide channel to fix it.

before upgrading to 1.01 I used skyHD set to 1080i all the time as it gave me the best picture, and it worked flawlessly.

after upgrading to 1.01 with prep and skyHD set to auto, I do notice occasional oddities e.g an occasional scene in a film that runs really slowly, you know, the kind of effect you get with a strobeing light, every thing is in slow motion. Also watching BBC1 last night, during 1 program (can't remember which) I was getting large white blobs flash on the screen about 3 times in a half hour program. Now all this may be the source, but all I can say is I never had any oddities before upgrading from 1.00.

:offtopic: What does really annoy me though, is that you can't override the HDMI auto aspect ratio function once enabled. especially as it forces 4:3 mode on all material when you first switch on the sky box. I have to select a 4:3 channel then switch back to a wide channel to fix it.
I think you would be better to revert to the original firmware untill the upgrade is released as a non beta one

I think I'll stick with 1.01 thanks as SD with prep is better Q than with 1.00. besides, knowing DVDO there may not be another release for 6 or so months

Sky HD and Sky boxes do this on pin-8 output too, as well as over their HDMI signals.

I find it annoying that you cannot override HDMI aspect ratio too -- this is where PARC209 worked really well with Lumagen scalers (and may with DVDO too soon), it could be over-ridden.

StooMonster

I had the same problem until I realised it can be solved by powering up devices in the right order. Namely, VP50 before SkyHD.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402492&page=10

I don't bother with the HDMI auto-AR thing at all.

And PReP has worked pretty much flawlessly for me :)

Thanks Redpavlos,

I never actually power my vp50 down at the mo, only the sky box & tv. I'll have a play around.

Chris

I never actually power my vp50 down at the mo, only the sky box & tv. I'll have a play around.
Same as here, but it would be nice if we could over-ride HDMI auto aspect-ratio. e.g. watching 14:9 content on 4:3 channel.

StooMonster

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom