Preowned MacBook Pro Where to buy?

Ana1910

Novice Member
Hi All I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro and looking for advice from well versed Apple peeps. Price wise the Apple referbished site is on the pricey side although you do get comfort from it coming from Apple and there is a cost saving to buying a new machine. Other places (EBay, classified etc) are cheaper but let’s face it you are putting your hard earned cash in the bank account of a stranger that might potentially screw you over! Let me know your thoughts on where/ how to buy a preowned machine things to consider etc. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I bought mine from the classifieds on here.

It's obviously a much sparser selection than other places but if you have the patience to wait for the right machine and seller to come along it can really pay off. My MBP is probably older and cheaper than you're looking for but it was owned from new by the vendor on here, even the box looked like new condition.

Ana1910

Novice Member
I bought mine from the classifieds on here.

It's obviously a much sparser selection than other places but if you have the patience to wait for the right machine and seller to come along it can really pay off. My MBP is probably older and cheaper than you're looking for but it was owned from new by the vendor on here, even the box looked like new condition.

Thanks Jamie I am looking on here just a bit apprehensive of handing over a good chunk of money over. But I suppose it’s confidence in the person.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've not.had any issues on here but I did very carefully read the rules and recommendations and exchanged full details with the seller. The trader ratings help a lot as well.

Ana1910

Novice Member
I've not.had any issues on here but I did very carefully read the rules and recommendations and exchanged full details with the seller. The trader ratings help a lot as well.
Well that’s good to hear! Thanks for the reassurance 😊

eamon

I would say if you are that worried you may be safer saving a bit more and getting from a trusted retailer. Out of interest do you need the Pro for any specific reason? Amazon have the M1 Air for £950 and you can pay over 5 months or if you do need the Pro that is £1152 and again can be paid over 5 months.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Thought about CEX? Members here are selling CEX vouchers at 15% (or more) off face value and there's 24 months warranty by CEX - not to mention avoiding dodgy hardware by private sellers. Of course, you need to do your homework on pricing and then gauge if a new one is better value.

ascender

I'd buy on here or eBay - lots of good advice on the thread so far. I've not had any issues yet and the only thing to be wary of is if something looks too good to be true then it probably is. i.e. on eBay, someone with 0 feedback selling a £3000 MacBook Pro for a price which isn't crazy cheap, but cheap enough to make you think they need the money fast.

There's some good deals to be had out there.

Other thing to consider is the Apple refurb store which gives you total peace of mind and a 12 month warranty as well as a discount.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom