1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preorder now from Dixons 360 package

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by smashed, Sep 20, 2005.

1. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi,

Dont think this has yet been discussed on here, but could be wrong.

Dixons online now has the 360 package for preorder.

£354.99 for the decent pack
    + extra wireless controller
    + choice of Perfect Dark Zero or PGR3

Now, if you input code DISCOUNT25 into their voucher box, you can take £25 off. Its still an extra £6 for delivery, and perhaps more if you want it on the day.. not got that far yet.

But for the £6 delivery, thats £335.99.

So an extra £55 on top of normal cost gets you a new game and wireless controller.

Preordering now also guarantees you an XBOX off their 1st batch according to the website. Might be ideal for people worried about getting one on time.

Is this a decent deal??

2. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
  3. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    "28th of June 2005" it's all rumours at the moment. And even if it is incorporated at a later date, there'll be an alternative for those that do want it (either sending it back to them or somesuch).

4. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Going back on track..

Do you think this is a better deal than the £280 one?? If so I may cancel my amazon order since I defintely want PDZero and another controller :)

Im just wondering now whether even better packages will be cropping up :confused:

5. miketrim

miketrim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Seems expensive, even with the discount.

6. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Yea it does seem expensive :(
    But unfortunately, if you want a 2nd wireless controller, its £30 even from play.com, so thats £310 straight away. (if you buy a £280 system)
    So £25 for either PDZ or PGR3... which most people will want at launch anyway ?

Im sure that GAME or somewhere will do good launch offers too ?

Its scary how much it will cost once you buy ..
    Xbox 360 £280
    Extra controller £30
    games £35-40 each...

And i need 4 controllers, because I only play when my mates come over :suicide:

8. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Isn't anyone concerned that there could be 4 different types of 360 on the market, and that things could get confusing, especially when it comes to buying GAMES? It seems to me, and this is my personal opinion, that the beauty of consoles was that regardless of the age of the game, it would always work in the console of your choice. Now imagine; A core system without HDD, one with HDD but no HD-DVD, then maybe a core without HDD but with HD-DVD and then one with HDD & HD-DVD? (Actually, even typing that was confusing). Imagine the uproar if you has to upgrade your console as the new Halo game is on HD-DVD & requires a HDD?

I think I'll wait to see how in pans out - especially how M$ have stated that the machine will get cheaper year on year....

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11619

Good luck to all those early adopters, I hope the above situation doesn't arise !

9. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    No, because that wouldn't happen. If they do eventually make it HD-DVD, they'll ALL be HD-DVD and simply not produce the older stock. I can't see that happening within the year anyway so it's no concern.

GAME won't do many good launch offers, they're there to sell machines and software at the highest margin, the Dixons offer seems good though.

10. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Mickus, you are making me worry.
    Perhaps everyone should wait, and then they will make it cheaper for us all :clap:

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    MS have already said that if they do incluide HDDVD late it will only be for movie playback and games will still be required to be on normal DVD. I don't see the problem really.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Oh dear, this old chestnut :rolleyes: We've been talking about this for ages around here, and the consensus seems to be that it is highly unlikely that an HD-DVD version will ever be released.

1) You can't play movies from a HD-DVD drive in a 360 as it doesn't have HDCP compliant outputs, analogue only. Therefore a whole new output method would have to be installed. Very unlikely and would p**s off early adopters.

2) If the HD-DVD drive were to be released for games content, then there would be 2 formats for games and REALLY p**s off early adopters who would then have to upgrade. Again very unlikely, and actually unneccessary (if you believe the games developers saying they don't need more than 9GB of content yet).

So, in summary, it's not going to happen (anytime soon at least!).

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    the dixons offer basically means your getting a wireless controller for £10 so just need to decide yourself really if you think thats good value. there won't be many savings at launch as all retailers will need to maximise margin on it so don't expect any packages with ANYTHING 'free'

14. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have a question, I'm on the verge of pre-ordering this, cause this is exactly what I want.
    I would have pre-ordered already but I've been waiting for a bundle deal with the X360 Premium Edition, an extra Wireless Controller and Project Gotham Racing 3.
    So, naturally this thread hit the spot!

However, what I want to know is, if I pre-order this item, do I still have the option to cancel free of charge if need be?
    For example the same package may appear somewhere else cheaper.
    Or god forbid, Dixons may get in touch and say out of stock for 2 weeks hehehe.

So, if I pre-order this, can I still cancel free of charge? :rolleyes:

15. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    You can get a refund on your £20 deposit at anytime

16. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well then, it's a done deal! Pre-ordered the PGR3 bundle! £336.98.

My only concern is where it says: "Delivery date/time - 5-7 working days, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm". Eeek!

I've e-mailed Dixons to ask if it's likely I'll get the console on release day, and if not, if I'd be able to pick it up from a Dixons store.

17. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    You have to pay a deposit at Dixons ?

It states..

* The price shown is only an indication of the expected launch price. If the price goes down we will only charge you the lower price.

* We do not charge your credit card until the product is shipped.

* Availability will be limited at release and pre-ordering with us secures your XBOX 360 when the first shipment arrives in the UK.

* All pre orders are limited to a maximum of 2 units.

* This item cannot be pre-ordered on a credit agreement, either solus or as part of a larger order.

* Please keep checking back with us for more info on software releases.

So I didnt know you paid anything up front??

Im sure that they would HAVE to let you cancel before you received it if you wished to do so, since you have a legal right to return anything within 7 days under the Sale Of Goods Act. It would be stupid for them to make you receive it first, particularly as it would allow another person to buy it on launch as they may be short of stock.

I would assume they would have stock, as im sure the offer has only just hit online, and you should be near the head of the queue... and it does state...
    Availability will be limited at release and pre-ordering with us secures your XBOX 360 when the first shipment arrives in the UK.

18. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    That was my concern, when we receive it...
    Did the order process not give you the option of selecting a delivery date?

I ordered a TomTom 700 via Dixons last night, and it offered delivery slots to pick from. I assumed that they would do the same here for this? If they havent, perhaps they will contact customers to arrange delivery?

19. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It didn't mention anything about a deposit to me, so I don't believe there is one. It just said they won't charge the card until the product ships.

I'm confident Dixons will have my console by release day, but my concern is will they be able to get it to me on release day? :cool:

Smashed, it didn't offer an option for delivery dates or times. I don't think Dixons themselves have that info yet to be honest.

Anyhow, in all my excitement I've lost track of time, I'm gonna be late for work! gah! :clap:

20. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Forget the online site, go to the store, your be almost certain to get one release day

21. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    You wont get £25 discount in the store tho, which makes the deal not worth it :(

22. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well the talk was of adding an hdmi output at the same time that the hddvd was added. It wouldn't **** me off, can't speak for any others.

They also said that if they released a HDDVD verison that it would be for movies only and not for games.

As for developers saying they don't need more than 9gb, team ninja were complaining about the use of standard DVD as it didn't have enough storage for all the pre-rendered movies they wanted on DOA4. I am sure that this is an exceptional exception to the rule though! :)

23. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I'm sure this has been said before...but it's not going to stop me :devil:

I'm usually an early adopter. MD, PS1, DC, GC, XBOX all bought on release day.

I shelled out £300 for a Xbox then M$ dropped the price by £100 after what seemed like a few days - Yes I got a load of lame games and an additional controller I didn't want as compensation..yipppie. We then had to wait for 18months for another good game to buy....I spent more on Xbox mags than games in the first year of ownership! Think I also played my DC more as well!! I think I'm going to wait and see what happens. We'll probably find out the UK is going to suffer spec wise in someway, just like we did with the Xbox.

The graphics look great but not revolutionary. Unless I see some games that take my fancy I'm not going to buy. PGR3 doesn't do it for me...I've owned MSR, PGR & PGR2...so I think I've done that game now ;)

Look if we all wait and don't buy on day one M$ will panic again and drop the price sharpish...go on...whaddayasay?

24. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +725
    good point that i didn't read!!!!!!

25. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I've got tons of unplayed games on my Xbox so I'm in no hurry for the 360. If the 360 is ever going to have HD DVD (movies is all I'm interested in) then I'll upgrade.

26. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Yeah I heard that too, and MS came back with what to me seemed a good counter-argument - why pre-render stuff when in-game graphics are so good?

27. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    the easy option is of course to span discs if they need to. which i very much doubt that any game will need to.

28. Mac07

Mac07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys,
    does this mean the 360 might have hdmi incorporated, and if so would this negate the need to buy a hd dvd. Seen as it is a pretty nifty box and if it has hdmi whats the point in also having a hd dvd just creating clutter?????????

29. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    No, it won't, not for the forseeable future anyway (it will be years away if it does happen) according to MS.

30. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I really can't see it happening at all to be honest. History says (Mega CD, 64DD, PS2 HDD) addons like this will always flop, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.