Premium soundbar (Samsung Q90R) or Sony/Elac component system

Funkdr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have read endless threads on the soundbar vs component comparison , here is my situation, I'll try to keep this concise:

Budget - about £1000

Room - small living room approximately 7x5m (see attached picture

TV - LG oled c9 or B9? will be wall mounted above fireplace.

Source - Netflix and amazon prime - no blue ray, no gaming system

Choices - Samsung Q90R or Sony STRDN1080 (£420) and ELac B6.2 or possibly Klipsch RP-600m

I was set on buying a Samsung Q90R , rated as Best in class by AV forums and costs about a grand, on checking through used listings I realised how quickly these things loose value in 2-3 years and become old tech. On the other hand component systems seem more flexible and upgradable. So the questions to you all are

1. For this small a space will an initial investment in some good bookshelf speakers and an AV receiver give a similar (or better) effect to the Samsung Q90R?

2. Is wiring a component system in this space going to be a nightmare? Should I just stick to the simple solution

3. Is a q90r with rear speakers overkill for such a space?

Any suggestions on my component choices welcome too =)

Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• 20200823_144413.jpg
    20200823_144413.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 72
Jeez that is high position for tv, already gave me neckpain just to think about it. 😅 Better scenario would have been tv on the wall where you have the chair now and couch opposite side to it. But assuming the alcoves at both side would be empty you would have good space for bookshelf speakers with stands. No space for center channel sadly cause the tv would raise too high. Some speaker stand in front of fireplace (if not in use) is only option for center channel, but i can already hear wife screaming for that idea.. 4.1 system is possible and maybe adding some atmos upfiring speakers later on top of main speakers.

For the tv you can ask here which model to go for. I hope 65" will fit there!

1k£ is quite low budget. You would have to start with 2.0 system. It will still sound great, but not as immersive with movies as the soundbar i can imagine as it has so many drivers shooting and bouncing every direction. If you can see yourself spending little by little each month then you can build very nice system slowly that will have better sound quality, overall scale/depth etc. You might start to listen music too as the receiver has Spotify connect so with phone app you can choose the songs easily.

Receiver - ~450£ (Yamaha RX-V685, now sold out everywhere. New models coming October (?), maybe the old ones too for limited time)
Front main speakers (L/R) - ~300£
Speaker stands - 50£ -100£
Wireless "rears" - 300£
Subwoofer - ~360£ - 520£ (there is smaller and cheaper ones too, but your room isn´t exactly small)

Link for the wireless surround speakers which will work with Yamaha receivers. Notice you still need power outlets near the speakers at rear of room as they have power cables, but no speaker wires. Black finish too available. Keyhole at rear for wall mounting.

Here is the d-line trunking etc. to hide speaker wires. They have sticker behind so you can install them on floorboards. It should give you quite clean look.
Amazon product ASIN

That TV position would be too high for me as well. I can only agree with what's been said above and that you should start of slowly and use budget when it becomes available. Receiver with front left and right, sub, centre and then the surrounds.

Your most important is going to be the fronts and it looks, with that TV height that you may have to dispense with a centre. That's not a problem as the fronts will easily downmix and present the dialogue just as well. That would give you a 4.1 set up which many do use to great effect.

Even with a 4.1 that will easily outperform a soundbar.

Jeez that is high position for tv, already gave me neckpain just to think about it. 😅 Better scenario would have been tv on the wall where you have the chair now and couch opposite side to it. But assuming the alcoves at both side would be empty you would have good space for bookshelf speakers with stands. No space for center channel sadly cause the tv would raise too high. Some speaker stand in front of fireplace (if not in use) is only option for center channel, but i can already hear wife screaming for that idea.. 4.1 system is possible and maybe adding some atmos upfiring speakers later on top of main speakers.

For the tv you can ask here which model to go for. I hope 65" will fit there!

1k£ is quite low budget. You would have to start with 2.0 system. It will still sound great, but not as immersive with movies as the soundbar i can imagine as it has so many drivers shooting and bouncing every direction. If you can see yourself spending little by little each month then you can build very nice system slowly that will have better sound quality, overall scale/depth etc. You might start to listen music too as the receiver has Spotify connect so with phone app you can choose the songs easily.

Receiver - ~450£ (Yamaha RX-V685, now sold out everywhere. New models coming October (?), maybe the old ones too for limited time)
Front main speakers (L/R) - ~300£
Speaker stands - 50£ -100£
Wireless "rears" - 300£
Subwoofer - ~360£ - 520£ (there is smaller and cheaper ones too, but your room isn´t exactly small)

Link for the wireless surround speakers which will work with Yamaha receivers. Notice you still need power outlets near the speakers at rear of room as they have power cables, but no speaker wires. Black finish too available. Keyhole at rear for wall mounting.

Here is the d-line trunking etc. to hide speaker wires. They have sticker behind so you can install them on floorboards. It should give you quite clean look.
Amazon product ASIN
Thanks for the feedback , actually sat on my couch looking at the wall about comments regarding height here, i think we'll be ok, I don't have any other choice. Great suggestion about the wireless Yamahas, wasn't aware that was an option. I'm wondering if there are any latency issues pairing them up with traditional wired speakers up front but a 4.1 is a good start. I'll look into the receiver as well =)

Thanks for the feedback , actually sat on my couch looking at the wall about comments regarding height here, i think we'll be ok, I don't have any other choice. Great suggestion about the wireless Yamahas, wasn't aware that was an option. I'm wondering if there are any latency issues pairing them up with traditional wired speakers up front but a 4.1 is a good start. I'll look into the receiver as well =)

New models announced today! :) Although not sure is that V6A too expensive.

That TV position would be too high for me as well. I can only agree with what's been said above and that you should start of slowly and use budget when it becomes available. Receiver with front left and right, sub, centre and then the surrounds.

Your most important is going to be the fronts and it looks, with that TV height that you may have to dispense with a centre. That's not a problem as the fronts will easily downmix and present the dialogue just as well. That would give you a 4.1 set up which many do use to great effect.

Even with a 4.1 that will easily outperform a soundbar.
Thanks again. My only other concern other than the suggested 4.1 is weather it's worth it shelling out for atmos. I can imagine the wiring situation becoming really messy with the addition of two upfiring speakers while the q90R just gives you all that ready to go. I'm going off piste but for someone that watches ONLY netflix and amazon prime, is there much good atmos content out there?

Thanks again. My only other concern other than the suggested 4.1 is weather it's worth it shelling out for atmos. I can imagine the wiring situation becoming really messy with the addition of two upfiring speakers while the q90R just gives you all that ready to go. I'm going off piste but for someone that watches ONLY netflix and amazon prime, is there much good atmos content out there?

Not sure about the content, there is some for sure and probably more in future. But the receivers today has upmixer modes so you can get the upfiring speakers working with every material. Example if you buy Elac B6.2 then you buy the Elac A4.2 on top of them, speaker wires will go same route behind speaker stands and receiver is somewhere at front. But don`t worry about the Atmos yet as you need to first get good 4.1 system and that is going to cost some..

You should go to local dealer some Richer Sounds if there is one where you live and ask to listen soundbar and then some separate system with larger speakers. I think you will be wiser afterwards which way you want to go. Demoing is free, no need to buy anything! :)

It's not so much the actual Atmos content, although there is plenty on both streaming services. What the additional speakers do is give the ability to upmix and bring those Atmos speakers into play which can be very effective and breath new life into a basic 5.1 soundtrack.

Not sure about the content, there is some for sure and probably more in future. But the receivers today has upmixer modes so you can get the upfiring speakers working with every material. Example if you buy Elac B6.2 then you buy the Elac A4.2 on top of them, speaker wires will go same route behind speaker stands and receiver is somewhere at front. But don`t worry about the Atmos yet as you need to first get good 4.1 system and that is going to cost some..

You should go to local dealer some Richer Sounds if there is one where you live and ask to listen soundbar and then some separate system with larger speakers. I think you will be wiser afterwards which way you want to go. Demoing is free, no need to buy anything! :)
Thank you that really puts it in perspective, be some time before I have to make the decision to atmos or not, could one not do a "2.1.2" so to speak? Our couch is stuck to the wall and I just don't see where rear speakers would go, especially at their cost. Thanks for the recommendations, the Elac and Klipsch 600m speakers keep popping up as solid recommendations

It's not so much the actual Atmos content, although there is plenty on both streaming services. What the additional speakers do is give the ability to upmix and bring those Atmos speakers into play which can be very effective and breath new life into a basic 5.1 soundtrack.
Gotcha, so can benefit from atmos without having dedicated bluray/content , thanks for clarifying

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom