1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'premium' aerial cable - any point in buying?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jon_mendel, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At the moment, I've got a 5m run of cable (cheap one, from Maplins) from the aerial socket in my flat to my freeview box. You get various companies offering 'premium' aerial cables (for example http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV8925.html); I get the occasional problem with interference to my TV signal - is something like this going to make any difference? Bearing in mind I live in a flat, so there's already a good run of cable from my flat to the actual aerial...

Cheers,

Jon

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It is normally the screening efficiency rather than the actual signal transmission quality.

Screening efficiency is an odd beast, in the same light as CE testing and cable tv stuff.

Basically the screening is not only there to protect your signal from interferance from other sources but also to reduce the interferance you put out through the bad cable.

We had an issue about 5 years ago recording interferance on a cable tv network. Everything started to go quiet from about 11pm onwards untill 2pm, where it went nuts for about an hour and then quiet again. The only solution we could come up with was it was a student town and all the night clubs kicked out at 2, taxis took them all home, microwaves went on and off allong with kettles and playstations etc. When they eventually fell asleep it all settled down again.

Not the same scale but the interference will be the same sort of stuff and with lower quallity or unapproved cables you will both be adding to it and receiving it.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers for the clear explanation, might be worth a try then :) One other though - belkin do a surge protector (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=615672) which also claims to filter EMI/RFI - including from the aerial plugged into it. As this doesn't cost much more than a better aerial cable (unless you know of somewhere to buy a cheap-ish one ;) ) would this also do the job of dealing with interference? or am I better just upgrading the cable?

Jon

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If that does your uhf frequencies as well it might be worth a go.

But a custom made cable from a friendly installer on here, using CT100 or an eqivelent CAI Approved cable shouldn't be that much.

5. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers (I thought the ones I'd seen looked a bit dear). Any friendly installers around? :hiya:
    Jon

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, I think I may have found a solution... I had a spare ferrite bead lying around, and noticed some aerial cables came with these attached. I therefore clipped the bead onto the end of my cheap cable - and that *seems* to have improved matters (although I'll need to watch a bit more to be sure). Nice cheap, easy fix if it does work, anyway :D

Jon