Premiership highlights and 'match choice' - SD?

somerset

Standard Member
It seems that the consensus opinion is that Sky's Premiership coverage in HD will be limited to live games, and the highlights will only be SD.

If this is the case (as in the cricket), I'm going to be rather disappointed - football was the one selling point of HD for me, and this would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Does anyone know for sure that this is what is planned?
 
I

irishstu

Guest
I`ve been wondering this too. I really hope they are in HD.
 
I

irishstu

Guest
They should allocate bandwidth according to premiership position :thumbsup:
 

somerset

Standard Member
grendal100 said:
I don't see how they can be. Surely they won't have the bandwidth
Perhaps not for a full 'match coice' type program, but they could show each match one after another?

In other threads it mentions Sky's lack of recording capability for HD, as opposed to straight live broadcasting, but I can't believe that this is an issue - surely old Rupert could invest in an HD-DVD recorder?
 

uno

Novice Member
At present Sky dont have the required facilities to store and playback things in HD so for the time being it will only be live sport in HD . They have plenty of premiership football and rugby union filmed in hd from last year that has all been archived its just the playout side where the problem lies.
Also at present they are not able to show any live sport in hd from abroad im not 100% sure of reason behind this though im trying to find out for sure reasons behind this as they showed Champions league final in HD to trial users and BBC managed it for world cup also American broadcasters do it on frequent occasions. Although I know transatlantic fibre routes for HD are very expensive nearly triple what it costs for sd circuit so american sports is more cost based.
 

packerbully

Standard Member
uno said:
Also at present they are not able to show any live sport in hd from abroad im not 100% sure of reason behind this though im trying to find out for sure reasons behind this as they showed Champions league final in HD to trial users and BBC managed it for world cup also American broadcasters do it on frequent occasions. Although I know transatlantic fibre routes for HD are very expensive nearly triple what it costs for sd circuit so american sports is more cost based.
They should be able to - Premiere in Germany do show weekly live US Sport in HD and Canal Plus France will shortly be showing Live (non sport) events from the US in HD.
 

somerset

Standard Member
uno said:
They have plenty of premiership football and rugby union filmed in hd from last year that has all been archived its just the playout side where the problem lies.
Do you know what the problem is Uno? I don't understand how they can broadcast from one source (live, film, TV series) and yet not from their own archives - it doesn't make sense to me...:confused:
 

richardr

Active Member
Plus, in theory, at least some of the Ryder Cup should be in HD, and that will be coming from abroad (albeit as close as Ireland), although Sky is almost certainly the host broadcaster for that.

I note that next week, the Ireland game against Holland isn't flagged as HD (I don't know who provides the pictures), but that currently the highlights of the England v Greece game afterwards is. This may be a error, as it doesn't seem that the BBC (who have the live rights) are showing the game on their high definition channel.
 

Deputy Dawg UK

Novice Member
richardr said:
Plus, in theory, at least some of the Ryder Cup should be in HD, and that will be coming from abroad (albeit as close as Ireland), although Sky is almost certainly the host broadcaster for that.

richard

When you say some of the Ryder Cup will be shown surely it will be all or none??? My box is being installed on 25.08.06 (touch wood) and the Ryder Cup was a big one for me!!!
 

richardr

Active Member
kevinthekoala said:
richard

When you say some of the Ryder Cup will be shown surely it will be all or none??? My box is being installed on 25.08.06 (touch wood) and the Ryder Cup was a big one for me!!!
I have no knowledge of what will be in HD, so the following is just a guess, but I am expecting that the main coverage will be HD, but that the interactive coverage won't - on the basis of bandwidth and other requirements.

As I say through, just a guess. The number of cameras and the logistics needed to provide the type of coverage Sky normally provide at the Ryder Cup is substantial.
 

grimoor

Active Member
I think it will only be the live game. But would be interesting if they started putting HD programmes on the "Red Button"

Would be nice if Match of the Day turned in to a BBC HD trial programme.

Tried to watch a bit of Arsenal game last night on ITV and the 4:3 and poor picture quality was too much for me. I can see I'm going to hate watching some football.
 

corh5

Active Member
Highlights of Chelski v Celtic is on Skysports HD 1 at mo and is in HD.

Hope for premiership highlights in HD after all.

PQ wise good but not great, not on a par with world cup.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Top Bottom