1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere Pro Scene Detection Question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by torrent, Jun 27, 2004.

1. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I finally relented and have given up on Pinnacle Edition and all it's bizarre nuances. I have installed the tryout edition of Adobe Premiere Pro to see how I get on with it. Already I prefer the interface.

Anyway, 10 minutes in and I'm stuck :) I have just logged a clip with scene detection selected however it has only logged the main clip, no scenes anywhere. Hey-ho I thought, I'll just select the clip and create them now. However, I cannot find any option anywhere to allow me to scene detect on already logged clips. I've searched Premiere's help, but can only find reference to the scene detection check box used when you log the clip from tape.

Any help as to how I can autoscene detect from an already digitised clip will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a question about Premiere Pro which you might be able to answer:

I have read that the batch capture functionality only works on a pre-defined clip list of in/out points. Is this true? I have a lot of tapes where I did a lot of in-camera editing so there are plenty of short (< 10second) clips and I was hoping to use Premiere Pro to just scan through the tapes and automatically detect the clips and capture them individually. Can I do this?

3. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I am no expert at all on Premiere Pro as I have only been playing with it. Funnily enough I still find myself going back to Pinnacle Liquid Edition.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You cant. You'll have to recapture with scene detect enabled.

The list of in and out points is created by you as you go through the tape. The advantage of this is that if your tape is pre-striped and there are no gaps in the timecode, then you can keep that batch capture list on your pc and delete the footage, and if you ever need to come back to the project, the batch capture list can recapture all your clips exactly as they were.

Yup the DV scene detect will detect whenever you have paused the dv camera during filming, although if you dont have continuous timecode it can freak out a little over breaks in the footage.

5. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweetmate

Thanks for the info. I perhaps should have been a bit clearer with my question though 'cos what I meant to ask was about the way Premiere Pro does this capture. The comments I read elsewhere made me believe that it stopped and reset up the tape as it came across each new scene and so, with a tape containing lots of short scenes, it would be for ever pausing, rewinding a little and then playing again causing lots of wear on the tape heads, as opposed to just capturing the scenes during playback without pausing at all. Does Premiere Pro capture in this "seamless" way, then, or does it really pause and restart the tape between scenes even if they are right next to each other on the tape?

cheers