Premier League 19/20

rustybin

Distinguished Member
As for your last comment on his character for the last decade? What are you on about....give examples, back it up? The character I'm seeing is exactly the man I've read about in books and articles over the last decade. The man has been like this since he arrived in Liverpool, and from a number of German football fans I know they say he is very well liked over there as well.
I'm genuinely surprised you don't know about it all.

As I said, mostly before he signed for Liverpool. But still :

Take look at the Avforums football threads from before the 2018 season. Plenty of Liverpool fans expressing frustration at Klopp's team selections and transfer policy.

But don't let all that stand in the way of rewriting history.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Brilliant time to be an LFC fan, with us and City really raising the bar over last 5 or so years,
5 or so years? Liverpool have finished below Utd in two of the last 5 years. Liverpool finished 8th in the last 5 years. More rewriting of history.

City have raised the bar over the last decade. Liverpool have done so over the last 2 years.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I'm genuinely surprised you don't know about it all.

As I said, mostly before he signed for Liverpool. But still :

Take look at the Avforums football threads from before the 2018 season. Plenty of Liverpool fans expressing frustration at Klopp's team selections and transfer policy.

But don't let all that stand in the way of rewriting history.
Is that it? Is that what you are putting forward questioning a man's character? Getting fined for shouting at refs, or celebrating too much. Jesus what did you think of Ferguson or Mourinho...or the average fan in the stands at games? I think there's just a bit more involved than that in bringing a man's character into question.

Frustration at Klopp was and is exactly that....furstration, no one wanted him sacked, did you hear any songs / flags / banners from the fanbase wanting him gone? But then one only reads and hears what they want to read and hear. Remember, history is written by the victors....and we won !

rustybin

Distinguished Member
L.

Frustration at Klopp was and is exactly that....furstration, no one wanted him sacked, did you hear any songs / flags / banners from the fanbase wanting him gone? But then one only reads and hears what they want to read and hear. Remember, history is written by the victors....and we won !
I didn't suggest any Liverpool fans wanted him sacked. Just that they were frustrated and critical of Klopp's early transfer policy and team selection. That's not really an opinion of mine, it's a fact... At least for a number of regular Liverpool fans on here.

Perhaps my opening comment, 'Klopp's record speaks for itself' needs qualifying, it wasn't a dig or a criticism. CL and PL in successive seasons and a huge points tally in two successive seasons is a fantastic achievement.

But let's not pretend that this was all inevitable by any stretch. His record at previous clubs bought him time. He's fortunate he didn't join Utd. They'd have probably sacked him after 18 months.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Hang on. Let me go Google all the players that turned Liverpool down to join United in the past. Might take me a while. Back in a bit

faiz0

Distinguished Member
Think Murphy is gettting confused with himself, in his heyday, not being fit to lace the boots of KDB.

Guard of honour is nice gesture of admiration for the best team, but don't think many LFC fans are that fussed about it-obviously it means little compared to actually getting our hands on the trophy.

Also nice to wrap the title up with many games left- can have a nice celebration/party for each remaining premiership game knowing we are champs.

Brilliant time to be an LFC fan, with us and City really raising the bar over last 5 or so years, so good even for neutrals, or dare I say opposition fans , to watch quality exciting attacking football.
To be fair its only the last 2 years Liverpool have raised the bar. And 2 for City too.

Panavision

I didn't suggest any Liverpool fans wanted him sacked. Just that they were frustrated and critical of Klopp's early transfer policy and team selection. That's not really an opinion of mine, it's a fact... At least for a number of regular Liverpool fans on here.
Just like ManU fans frustrated with Ole. Big deal. There is more to professional football than what goes on the pitch. A lot of changes had to be made internally as well. The owners never lost faith in Klopp.

Perhaps my opening comment, 'Klopp's record speaks for itself' needs qualifying, it wasn't a dig or a criticism. CL and PL in successive seasons and a huge points tally in two successive seasons is a fantastic achievement.
Klopp himself has improved as a manager. There have been subtle changes in his tactics, for example, the low block against Spurs in the CL final.

But let's not pretend that this was all inevitable by any stretch. His record at previous clubs bought him time. He's fortunate he didn't join Utd. They'd have probably sacked him after 18 months.
Our first CL final showed me that we were on our way, but no one expected this kind of improvement so soon. Even Klopp was surprised by the points swing.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
“The low block”

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Who's pretending? His continuous progression year on year at Liverpool bought him the time he originally asked for when he first joined. There were no calls to sack him. LFC fans are over the moon with what he's achieved, but no one is sitting there saying "told ya so".

And I'm not so sure Utd would've sacked him after 18 months. If Solskjaer gets Champions League and reaches 2 finals in his first 18 months would Utd sack him? I don't think so, because that would represent progression in the context of the previous season and sacking him would show deeper issues at the club rather than giving him time and resources if he's clearly shown progress and the players are responding to him.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
And I'm not so sure Utd would've sacked him after 18 months. If Solskjaer gets Champions League and reaches 2 finals in his first 18 months would Utd sack him? I don't think so, because that would represent progression in the context of the previous season and sacking him would show deeper issues at the club rather than giving him time and resources if he's clearly shown progress and the players are responding to him.
I meant if he'd have been appointed back when he joined Liverpool. There's no way back then Utd would have allowed a manager 4-5 years to win a title. Back when the Utd powers that be thought 'being Manchester United + spending lots of money = titles.'

Now I would suggest that if Ole delivers a title in his first 4-5 years (if he's given that long), that would be a decent start.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
How long was it from when Klopp was appointed until he reached his first final in the League Cup in 2014?

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I meant if he'd have been appointed back when he joined Liverpool. There's no way back then Utd would have allowed a manager 4-5 years to win a title. Back when the Utd powers that be thought 'being Manchester United + spending lots of money = titles.'

Now I would suggest that if Ole delivers a title in his first 4-5 years (if he's given that long), that would be a decent start.
Exactly ....in the context of the situation of both clubs 4-5 years ago, then he could have been sacked. Liverpool were in a very different situation than Utd, so in that respect and context, Klopp has earned all that time and patience because of the progression he has shown season upon season, not necessarily his track record at Mainz & Dortmund.

Perhaps that's what attracted him to Liverpool more than the "Disneyland" pitch he got from Utd for his services?

faiz0

Distinguished Member

Don’t Utd still think that way? What with the £200 million spent this season?

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Don’t Utd still think that way? What with the £200 million spent this season?
I don't think so. Clearly with the Ole appointment, holding firm with that appointment when perhaps he might have been sacked, getting rid of Sanchez and Lukaku, there's been a change in tact at Utd in terms of set up and transfers.

That's not to say they won't or don't spend big, but the quick fix attitude looks to have gone.

As you've alluded to, all the experts on here said Ole would be sacked when Poch became available. Not saying that won't happen, but Ole looks more the part every week.

Lose tonight though and I'm sure it'll be Ole out again though.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
And not even his team. I think we got Matip on a free in January of that year?
is that a good thing or are you saying it was nothing to do with Klopp?

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
When I see “United being knocked off their perch”, it seems a little premature.

Panavision

is that a good thing or are you saying it was nothing to do with Klopp?
It was a good thing. Klopp got them to two finals. You could see what he was capable of doing to a squad of players who he didn't buy.

Only Henderson, Origi and Lallana survived the cull.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
It was a good thing. Klopp got them to two finals. You could see what he was capable of doing to a squad of players who he didn't buy.

Only Henderson, Origi and Lallana survived the cull.
Ah right I’m with you. Was Coutinho part of the ‘cull’?