Premier League 19/20

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I can't believe that football has no leverage here. Clearly everyone all round needs to recoup money, but if and when things get back to some kind of normality, broadcasters will be back courting big sporting events again. If clubs do struggle because of strong armed contracts, I hope memories aren't short going forward. But I suspect, maybe hope, that compromises will be looked at.

Jimx26

I can't believe that football has no leverage here. Clearly everyone all round needs to recoup money, but if and when things get back to some kind of normality, broadcasters will be back courting big sporting events again. If clubs do struggle because of strong armed contracts, I hope memories aren't short going forward. But I suspect, maybe hope, that compromises will be looked at.
It confuses me to be honest, all this talk of millions need to be re payed even if games go ahead. Aren't SKY and BT getting like 80% of the other games on top of what they had before?

I still think that clubs should look at doing their own thing and stream their own games and charge £10 or so per game and show all games when this contract is up. The technology is already there with iFollow being used in the Championship.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
I would think advertising revenue might have something to do with it.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member

Panavision

It confuses me to be honest, all this talk of millions need to be re payed even if games go ahead. Aren't SKY and BT getting like 80% of the other games on top of what they had before?

I still think that clubs should look at doing their own thing and stream their own games and charge £10 or so per game and show all games when this contract is up. The technology is already there with iFollow being used in the Championship.
Because it's more lucrative to sell to broadcasters around the world.

And do you expect armchair fans to pay a tenner per game?
What if they want to watch four or five games that weekend? That's fifty quid for that weekend!

jason g

Distinguished Member

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Or drove to Durham for childcare.

richp007

Distinguished Member
There will be plenty more positive tests before we get going, I'm sure.

I think there's been some from Championship clubs as well today.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
What happens if a player gets tested positive the day before a game and he’s been training all week?

Miss Mandy

What happens if a player gets tested positive the day before a game and he’s been training all week?
I think you've asked that one three times now and we still don't have an answer for you. If I did I'd let you know, I promise! :laugh:

In all seriousness I don't actually know and I can't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere. I asked a similar question to you in wondering what would happen if a player tested positive in their first test after they'd played a match, but again I haven't found an answer. A positive test after a game is arguably worse as it has the potential to infect across two teams rather than training only affecting one.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Yep I’ve asked it a few times and not had an answer / opinion / reply. That probably indicates I’m on several ignore lists more than anything !!!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
I think it more likely shows that nobody has an answer. Do the PL even know?
That’s a fair point. I suppose they will cross that bridge when they come to it. Could you imagine City v Liverpool and the day before, Van Dijk tests positive ?

Miss Mandy

It's a valid question, and like you say what will the reaction be if it's a team's star player that tests positive? Have the powers that be even thought that far ahead?
It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of using testing as a yardstick on safety and risk. A test is only valid in the moment it's taken, as soon as the person walks away from that test they're at risk of catching the virus. If the windows aren't tight enough they could be spreading the virus around their teammates before they realise they have it. If games are potentially twice a week that could have a big impact on the fixture list.