Premier AV CENTRE - DO NOT BUY

H

haycockd

I have purcchased a camcorder from the above shop and have returned it within 3 days, have been informed by them that they will deduct a 20% handling fee, this was not mentioned at time of purchase, but was on invoice that was sent with camcorder. Have had to get trading standards and Credit card company involved. Premier AV are not interested. BE WARY

This has been the case for a while with lots of suppliers .I buy lots of PC componants and this is what's on their sales receipt : "Any goods returned found to be in good working order a 20% handling and restocking fee will be applied in all cases "
But ,I didn't know it applied to retail shops.

Trading standards have told me that what they are doing is not right and that they will take the case on board. Also my credit card company has put the payment back onto my card pending an investigation. When I called, AV, they were not preparded to speak to me and kept putting the phone down, not helpfull at all.

Good on Trading Standards! I'm assuming you're returning it because it was faulty or "not fit for purpose"? If so, the retailer is obliged to give a full refund, including all costs (e.g. postage both ways), no question, - with no handling/re-stocking fees added. However, if you've just changed your mind and are returning it under the retailer's own "14-day return" policy or similar, it's up to them.

Why did you return it then, if there was nothing wrong with the camcorder but you changed your mind then I can see why they're keen to charge a fee as they'll not be able to sell it as new now.

You are very very right it only applies if you purchased over the web etc. You are not entitled to a refund if you just changed your mind. Not all traders are like M&S. If faulty yes you are entitled to a full refund. There is a lot of confusion about this. I have a simple rule if I buy from a retailer in person when I walk out of the shop its mine for life. If its faulty I can return the goods and ask for a replacement or refund. Trading standards covers this point very well.
My point is based on reasant experience. I purchased a new Sony 40" Bravia LCD from a Sony Centre. When I got TV home still in box waiting for my Sky HD to turn up I was checking prices for the same unit and found the same set £250 cheaper. I decided to take set back still unpacked told them I decided not to buy, there comment was, Sorry you bought it, you keep it, They gave me a copy of the trade act which covers this subject, and they were within there rights. They did however give me a £200 discount off another item I was buying. So it balanced itself out.

Yes, sorry I was confused by the suggestion that Premier AV was a "walk-in" shop. Of course all things bought online / mail-order (with a few exceptions, like opened software, and services) allow you the 7-day return period, which lasts 7 days after the item arrives. This covers the original delivery charge too, but you do have to pay for the return postage yourself, as long as the seller specifically said so when they confirmed the order (i.e. before they sent it).

It was returned as mt wife came home with a Sony camcorder. I have not opened any of the packing on the box and when I checked on the phone, they said it was fine to return, no mention of the cost. On their website, it states, that they get back toy you in 24 hours, has been 72 and still waiting.

Can I just check......was it bought by Mail Order/Internet/Phone (i.e. shipped to you) or did you buy it over the counter??

If it was Mail Order/Internet/Phone then the Distance Selling regs apply and they CANNOT legally refuse you a full refund (aside from shipping costs) if you return the goods in saleable condition within 7 days of receipt.

If it was over the counter then the above does NOT apply and they can treat you in whatever way they want, including a total refusal.

So haycockd, do you know that they've definitely received the camcorder back now? (Sounds like you bought online from their website?)

The OFT has a set of pages about the Distance Selling Regulations which includes:

"[The seller] must refund the consumer's money* as soon as possible and, at the latest, within 30 days of receiving the written notice of cancellation. The consumer may, at [the seller's] discretion, be charged the direct cost of returning the goods, but [the seller] must tell them about this in the written information [they] give them" (before the goods are sent).

* that includes the original delivery charge

I know they have recieved it as I have checked with Royal Mail, they are refusing to speak to me, when I call they just put the phone downas Soon as I say my name. my credit card company have refunded the money while we settle the dispute. Will have to wait and see.

Thanks for all the links to the various sites, most appreciated.

Any update on how you have faired so far?

Please be warned not to buy from the Premier AV Centre. In August 2008 we purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV from Premier AV Centre only to find that the box that the TV came in was already opened and parts missing to fix the stand to the TV, also there was scratches on the front of the TV. Basically the TV looked as if it had been used and possibly even been a returned item, we came to this conclusion because the security settings on the TV asked us to put in our own postcode and there was already an SE1 London postcode in the TV. We rang the Premier AV Centre only to be told that the box had been opened by them as they check the screens before they are sent out and that it was definitely brand new!!!

Since we bought the TV the TV guide fuction has not been right, some times it works and other times it does not. We rang Premier AV Centre and e-mailed but have had no response from them three weeks later.

We get a real bad feeling about this company and are now handing it over to Trading Standards, our credit card company and are going direct to Panasonic as they are their approved retailer and cover the 5 year gurantee that came with the TV!

Michael & Karen :mad:

I purchased a Samsung LED TV from PREMIER AV CENTRE Birmingham on the 12/09/2012. Having had the TV for approximately 33 days and experiencing a fault with the screen i contacted the retailer and was told to contact Samsung direct to resolve the issue as the 30 day warranty had expired by several days.

I spoke to Samsung who were happy to collect the TV and repair it under the 12 months manufacturer's warranty. I was not very happy but felt there was no other option. I received the TV back from repair which all appeared good until around 10 days after and another fault of no sound from the TV had developed. I contacted the retailer immediately explaining of the problem but they showed little interest and were adamant Samsung should be contacted to resolve the problem.

I then contacted Samsung a second time and insisted to speak to someone in customer services. I was then told that the retailer was responsible under the ‘sales of goods act' to replace or refund faulty or defective items.

After a third conversation with the retailer a person called ‘Asif' who i believe is the manager clearly stated that the 30 days of warranty is no longer valid and that Samsung should be contacted for further support. My intentions were to return the TV to the retailer or arrange collection. This was not at all possible as the retailer accepts no responsibility for this problem.

At this point i had no other option but to contact Trading Standards. After speaking to the trading standards team i am told the retailer is fully responsible to refund or replace an item under the ‘Sales Of Goods Act' which clearly states 6 years time period is given and not 30 days. They also stated that the retailer has broken the law as he has limited my statutory rights under the consumer regulations authority.

The trading standards team have firstly advised me to authorise a chargeback through Nationwide and to contact them if any further help is required.

After a very long wait of around 6 months the charge back through the bank has now been accepted by the retailer. A full refund at last.

This outfit may be cheap but the after sales support is appalling.

BE WARNED!

JOHN LEWIS WITH 5YR GUARANTEE EVERY TIME!

Welcome Guest. . . .
The problem is that we are attracted by cut-to-the-bone pricing and with retailers having to buy and stock so much kit (to get Dealer discounts) they are often overstretched....even web-based ones.

Whilst you may have rights extending a long way into the future, if the Co goes belly-up you're sunk. The trouble is that these Rules come about on a Case-by-Case problem and don't really address the fundamental issue that the Retailer is liable . . . because he won't price that risk into the price. . . or you'll go elsewhere. They are working on very slim Margins. Anyone use Richer Sounds . . . I've bough some items there, but Amazon can still beats for the odd-kit.
It's always a good idea to pay by Credit-Card as this gives you much more protection - - - funny that.

That Samsung product should have gone back a second time IMHO - since only Samsung has the expertise to fix things - small box-shifters can't finance a repair shop (and hope they don't need one, which is probably right) . . . so it pays to buy from a larger retailler and accept that those cut-to-the-bone prices are only for risk-takers.

Er, IMHO.

In support of Premier AV. I have bought a few TVs from the over the years. In person rather than over the phone/Internet. Never had any issues and got some great prices.

Also trading as totaldigital.biz.

I bought a camera back in 2010 from Premier AV because they were £30 cheaper on a ~£270 product. I took it on holiday (after about two weeks) and realised the lens was damaged (internally). It definitely affected the photos.

When I got back from holiday after another two weeks I contacted them, expecting them to offer me a replacement. They refused and argued. Assif was very rude with me. He started going on about being nothing to do with them as it was past a 28 day limit. This is a load of rubbish.

In the end, Panasonic repaired it under the warranty, but I had to cover postage costs.

My understanding is that my contract was with the shop. The product was clearly faulty and it is their job to sort out a repair or replace, including any such costs.

The trouble is, who can be bothered to fight for £10 worth of postage. I boycott them now as a matter of principle and would be happy if this thread hit them wheere it hurts.

Boo to Premier AV Centre, Handsworth, Birmingham. Aka totaldigital.biz.

(You have to ask why their website and their shop name are so different too!)

I'm off to John Lewis for a new camera tomorrow. I know I'm going to pay more but I know they'd replace it no questions asked if I took it back with a fault.

Last edited:
Spotted these guys had 2 different named websites linked to that/there Premier AV store, tried getting JL to price match being as there much safer but they wriggled out of doing a PM :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom