Pregnant Pause

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MikeNolan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got myself an Ipod 60gb and have started transferring some CDs. The first to get transferred was The Beatles "Sgt Pepper". However, there appears to be a slight problem, and for those who are familair with this album will understand what I mean. As track 1 ends, and segues into track 2, there is a silent gap of about 1-2 secs, then the last few bars of track 1 continue, although by then it is indicating Track2. Haven't noticed it on anything else. Is the iPod forcing a silent pause when it picks up the change from one track to the next? Thanks

2. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Yeah, it's a software design problem with every ipod (and most other mp3 players) ever made. Search these forums for more on "gapless playback". Then trade in the iPod for a Sony (or other player) which will actually let you listen to albums.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If you load Rockbox onto your iPod it's supposed to support gapless MP3 I believe.

I do find the gaps distracting but this is an 'on the move' device and as such the advantages outweigh the gapless issue for me. And if I want to listen to Sgt Pepper properly I'd play the CD at home. :)

4. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Not suggesting Sony is the only option (although about the only option available on the high street). Junking the firmware is also an option. Whatever, there's no excuse for the lazy programming which generates the gaps, but you weigh up what you want from a player and make your choice. Being able to play albums was pretty important for me...

5. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Entirely your choice of course but I (and I suspect others) would be interested in why you bought an iPod in preference to any other device - perhaps it was the lure of 60gb?

I believe the gap issue is a well known iPod "feature" and Sony with ATRAC is the only player I know of to offer truly gapless playback but my Archos Gmini XS202S does a fair job with minimal gaps.

6. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a mechanical fault. I've managed to get round it by merging the files into one and then copying across onto iPod.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    An often-asked question with connotations that the answer would be " 'caus it's really cool man".

If however, like me, you wanted to attach an MP3 hard drive to your car head unit (with full control functionality) the iPod was the best way to do it.

8. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Yes it is very annoying and a blemish on an otherwise fine product. The workaround is to combine all the tracks that are interlinked, so to speak, as one track. This can be done in itunes. This means that you cannot jump straight to one particular track. Then again, if you want to hear all the tracks together this is not a problem. If you want to do both, rip the problem albums both as a single track and as individual tracks. Almost the best of both worlds, although I agree that we shouldn't have to piddle about like this.

I had a look at Rockbox and thought I might give it go (with some trepidation) but then read somewhere that I would no longer be able to download images from my digital camera.

9. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will decrease the batteries playback time even more as the HD is constantly adding to the buffer!

10. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hmm... how would playing the same 40 mins of music at the same bitrate affect the battery life differently if the music comes from 1 track not 13? It's the same amount of stuff and the same size of buffer. I know that apple don't understand buffering (if they did they wouldn't insert gaps) and that apple don't like long battery life (another win for Sony and others), but they can't have got things THAT wrong...

11. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    *Gasps in horror*

Oh boy have you opened a can of worms. The ipods inability to play gapless is a, shall we say "contentious" issue.

For the purists amongst us this is an unforgivable oversight by apple and is akin to audiophile heresy.:D

Personally it's not a problem for me as I hardly have any albums that require gapless playback. There are ways round it as others have said and yourself has found out but if it's essential for you out of the box, the ubiquitous ipod is sadly not for you.

12. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well the original question will crop up again and again as long as apple (and the other offenders) choose not to make their player do gapless and people continue to be amazed that after a hundred years of all music players being gapless, the current market leader isn't. Thnakfully, there are ways (joining tracks hacks, alternative firmware, buying Sony) to get hundreds of albums in your pocket and have them play properly, if such a thing is important...