1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

preferred DVD (quiet & region free)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1138, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are your choices for HCPC DVD players / drives (not burner... already have a SONY 500),
    drives which are:

- quiet (also can be speed controlled if necessary)
    - easily made region free
    - in black

for the region free - either with firmware, or preferably with a simple region kill fix, like the Lite-on on my sisters' Dell

have just ordered all the bits for a 2.4 800FSB P4 HT screamer with Radeon 9500 & 512 MB corsair Cas2 DDR3200...

... all except that is for a DVD drive

This Swiss site has a dB measure for what THEY reckon is the quietest... Tosh M1712 (32 dB(A))
    http://www.silentmaxx.ch/dvdrom_auswahl.php

Steve

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I was going to recommend the Lite-On 165H, but I don't think you can get it in black.

If it's anything like the 163 I've got, then it'll be very quiet during DVD playback, and is easily made region free via firmware.

Gary.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll second the LiteOn drive...but I still prefer to rip the DVD to the hard drive as an ISO file and have TheatreTek play it back that way. Not that conveinient as it takes about 15mins to rip but it's one less thing to make a noise.

Not sure about getting black drives but you can allways get a can of black vinyl spray dye from Halfords and paint the bezel yourself.

Cheers, Lee

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Can't recommend which one to get but can recommend that you do NOT get a Pioneer 106 slot load and they are VERY noisy. Not too bad if you use the quiet utility but still way noisier than any other CD or DVD drives that I have :(

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh 1712 is available in black.

I can't say how quiet it is because it's in a normal PC but it isn't noticably loud!

DaveP

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can't get the 106s drives anyway anymore - Pioneer discontinued them in favour of the newer 120s (which currently can't be firmware reprogrammed to make them region free).

Personally, I think the 106s + Speed control is pretty okay.

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I agree

Conor

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a NEC 5700A for the last few years - absolutely silent in operation. My HCPC is absolutely silent (all watercooled) & can thoroughly recommend this drive. RPC1 is available too :clap:

Recently ordered a 5700B but rec'd a 5700C & can confirm it's practically silent too. No RPC free firmware available just yet, but an excellent Windows based util available so no probs.

NEC "do it for me" :)

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One thing worth mentioning is that quite a few people (myself included I suspect) will be going down the RIP & Play route. For one thing, it saves wear and tear on your DVD ROM (since the drive doesn't have to spin for the length of a film, just the time required to rip it). Also, if you have a large HD you can then use it as some kind of DVD jukebox.

Worth a thought. Plenty of free software available now that can rip your discs to HD as ISO images...

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kustom do do a fasia for the Lite on, so can go balck

I have the 165 and it is dead quiet when playing DVD's when it spins to 48x ripping a CD, then it is loud

No need to hack the firmware, as there is a software called region killer that works fine. You need also need to region free it with another piece of software first.

11. Rob KSA

Rob KSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe there is already a hack for the pioneer 120. for liteon, newegg has this info which shows it as black:

LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM