1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preference or good argument...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Les E, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have come up with a bit of a dilemma with the wife on the placing of the equipment rack in my new build cinema room.

My original plan was to have the rack at the rear of the room with the projector to save on cable length. This would mean buying a new rack for that that corner but it would mean my seating area would need to move forward about 2-3ft from the rear wall.

That was fine with me...although it is getting quite close to the screen (probably about 8ft)...but I could live that!

But the better half seems to think I should the the existing television rack which currently holds my equipment placed at the front of the room so I can have the seating further towards the back wall.

Now I know this all to do with preference, but the way I see it is that the cable to projector length is going to need to be around 10 meters to suffice...and I really didn't want to take them any further than 7 meters.

However it would be great for PS2 games for the equipment at the front and she has kinda got a point with the seating...especially if I want more people in the room!

So any ideas guys...or particular preferences...rear right back or under the screen??

I don't want it to look crap, but at the same time I don't want to minimise the already small amount of space I have already! (11ft x 8ft)

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd be inclined to go with your wifes argument and put your gear at the front. The only lead that would need to be longer is for your projector and an additional 3 metres is neither here nor there, or is at least cheaper than buying a new rack! :)

3. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Les,

Sorry to side with your missus but I like having the gear at the front. As you say better for gaming and you can see whats going on. I have 10m component/s-video/composite leads and they work fine. Only downside is that unless you can dim or switch off the displays (which I can) they could distract from the film when watching in total darkness.

Cheers,

Hatch

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,171
    I'm also with your missus and would put the rack at the front so you can see the volume control and get the extra seating space.
    I use these wireless controllers with my PS2 which means I can keep the PS2 in a cupboard - play as well as the original dual shocks (IMHO) and not having the cable dangling across the room is nicer than you might imagine. http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=142731

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    How about at the side of the seating ? This way, it's close to hand, closer to the projector and the lights from the devices won't distract you. The equipment can go either slightly to the front of the seating or slightly to the rear depending on preference. Wall mountable shelving is also an option for the equipment as it obviously has a smaller 'footprint' and won't take up so much floor space, plus you can fill out the shelves with DVD's, memorabilia etc.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have moved my amps etc. from the front, back to the side (where they were originally) so I can now use a shorter component lead from the DVD to PJ, improved the picture. Also and in the end more importantly it gets all those annoying bright blue LED's out of my line of sight. So they aren't now distracting from the picture and the movie experience.