Predict Capello's starting 11 for England vs USA

CaptainCook

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen too many direct hints from the camp, so what's your guess on his starting eleven?

My guess would be:

James
Johnson Terry King Cole
Lennon Lampard Milner Cole
Gerrard Rooney

Green
Johnson - King - Terry - Cole
Lennon - Lampard - Gerrard - Cole
Rooney
Crouch

This, although I would much prefer the Gerrard off Rooney one with Milner (Barry when fit) sitting in behind Lampard.

I think the following is a given:

Rooney - Crouch​

So just the keeper to choose. Green has had the playing time, the press think Hart so I'll go James. I'd start with him, the FA Cup final was enough to prove his current form.

wouldn't suprise me if it was :

James
Johnson Terry King Cole
Gerard Lampard Milner Cole
Rooney Heskey

Green
Rooney
Crouch

Pretty much what i would say, except James in goal. :smashin:

I think we'll see

James
Johnson, Terry, King, A.Cole
Lennon, Lampard, Gerrard, J.Cole
Rooney, Crouch

When Barry is fit, Cole will drop out of the team and Gerrard will go left, and if Crouch doesn't do well in the USA game, i think Capello will choose Heskey for the next game.

Will be interesting to see how good the USA are. I watched them at the Confederations cup and they were very good, and brilliantly beat Spain in what I think was one of the greatest underdog performances i've ever seen. Spain are probably twice the quality of England so we may be in for a shock, but hopefully not!

I think for teh group stages the team apart from a few positions is a gimmee

Personally i think that when we reach the knock out stages he is going to be a bit more ruthless i think and i hope he will be

dropping johnson and playing carra at right back and then playing gerrard off ronney :thumbsup:

when?

I like your confidence, but the USA are going to beat you, you will beat Algeria convincingly, but a final 'heroic' draw with Slovenia will see you go out due to their draw with the USA.

If we don't win our group then I'll be hugely let down, if we didn't even qualify then I'd be shocked. As much as I don't underestimate the USA, I think they are capable of beating most teams on their day, ultimately they need high quality opposition like us (and yes we are, nobody deny it) to be on an off day to stand a real chance of actually winning. With Capello's discipline and preparation should get rid of any complacency and extra nerves which will cause that off day.

when?

I like your confidence, but the USA are going to beat you, you will beat Algeria convincingly, but a final 'heroic' draw with Slovenia will see you go out due to their draw with the USA.

I hope that happens.....

when?

If we only draw against Slovenia I'll eat my hat!!

USA are hot & cold, we could either just edge passed them or slaughter them. I personally think we'll take all 9 points for a change & start the campaign with a huge performance against the USA.

The word on the street is this will be the starting 11.

Green
Johnson King Terry Cole
Wright-Phillips Gerrard Lampard Cole
Rooney Crouch​

In all honesty I'll be surprised if wright-phillips starts, unless he's been really impressive in training. I heard an unconfirmed rumour as well that Green is starting in goal; courtesy of SSN

James
Rooney - Crouch​

OR

James
Johnson - King - Terry - A. Cole
Carrick
Lennon - Lampard - J. Cole
Gerrard
Rooney​

Last edited:
i think

james
johnson carra terry cole
SWP lampard carrick cole
gerrard
rooney

i heard a rumour lennon has been dropped for turning up late for training and i dislike carrick hugely but i reckon that will be the starting line up.

Green
Johnson Dawson terry cole

j Cole Lampard Gerrard SWP

Rooney Heskey

well it's been announced

Green
Johnson Terry King Cole
Lennon Lampard Gerrard Milner
Heskey Rooney

a couple of surprises there but a good lineup :thumbsup:

I like it. Positive intentions. USA has not kept a clean sheet in 10 games. Capello has to go for it. He who dares wins

To be honest I'm glad Heskey is there instead of Crouch. Despite his scoring record I just don't think he works well with Rooney, and Heskey should benefit Rooney. It'll be interesting to see how Milner plays, I'd like to see Joe Cole having a run of games personally, but if Milner performs then I wont complain.

It probably means Gerrard on the left though... :rolleyes:
It means Gerrard and Lampard are in the centre. He tried Milner in the middle in the pre-WC friendly and does not trust him there. Plus it'll be more balanced as Gerrard keeps cutting in anyway :suicide:
It'll be interesting to see how Milner plays, I'd like to see Joe Cole having a run of games personally, but if Milner performs then I wont complain.
I think it is because Milner has more energy. Donovan will give the full backs a hard time

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom