1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

predator disc mix up?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by micks_address, Jul 20, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi folks,

I picked up a copy of predator (2 disc special edition) in our local video shop the other day. The packaging stated the first disc had the film in dts/dolby 5.1 with audio commentary by director. When i got around to sticking on the disc - disc 1 had what seems like the old version of the film from the original release of predator on region 2. The transfer looked pretty ropey from what i watched and there was no dts sound available.. or directors commentary. i brought back the disc yesterday thinking it was a mix up at the shop but they search through the other copies they had there and all the discs were the same. Has anyone else come across this with the predator region 2 special edition? i exchanged it for something else but would still like to have the film. I'm just wondering now where's the best place to order it from?

Cheers,
    Mick

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    that's strange.. what was the image on the disc like? The original version if i recall has a picture of arnie holding a gun, and the PREDATOR logo.

And i believe the new version has a jungle style theme with either Pred's or Arnie's face covering it, depending on which disc it is.

Please correct me if i'm wrong anyone, i don't have the discs in front of me, so that's going from memory as i own both versions.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    it was deffo the original release - i have the original disc and the disc from the special edition set looked the same. The set didnt seem right as disc 2 was titled dvd 2 but there was nothing on the first disc to indicate it was part of a set... i was sure it was a disc mix up at the shop but the guy looked through the 3 remaining sets they had in stock and they all were the same

4. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    new or old bbfc logo on the disc?

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    cant remember

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    It defently wasent the right disc mate, mine has Disc 1 written on the first disc and Disc 2 written on the second disc so sounds like someone tried to get rid of their old stock of the original release of Predator.

7. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this same experience with a copy of the Predator Special Edition I bought from my local Tesco as part of the 2-for-1 deal everyone was doing on fox dvd's.

After watching the film, I noticed there were several cuts which I knew were not supposed to be in the special edition. On checking the disc, it didn't state it was disc 1 (the second disc had 'disc 2' printed on it) plus the tiny version number on the disc did not match the special edition version number I found from searching various dvd catalogues.

Unfortunately, by the time I got round to taking it back to the shop, they had stopped the promotion and had no further copies to be checked. :(
    Got my money back though. :)

All-in-all, sounds a bit dodgy.

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    was it in a sealed box? its a simple mistake to make in a shop (if you werent interested in DVD's could you spot the diff between the two versions) someone probably got the wrong out of the drawer/stock room.

just as a pointer the new DTS release of ID4 is identical to the old one, the disks and catologue numbers are the same, unless you put it in a player you cant tell the difference.

Gary

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    the box was actually sealed which is what surprised me.. i wonder was it a distribution problem?... there were 3 other copies in the store which the guy checked and they were all the same! sounds like its not an isolated incident

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    in that case it sounds like a factory problem, get your cash back or get them to order you a new one?

Gary

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    the shop changed the disc for me no problem but more worrying they didnt remove the other copies from the shelf so if some unsuspecting punter buys the discs they wont be getting the version they should be.... one to watch out for....

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Is there much difference in content? I think the original ID4 DVD was rather good as it was.

13. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just left a post regarding id4

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,906
    There actually is an easy way to tell the old releases from the new without putting them in your player, just look at the surface of the Disc.
    When the DVD was originally released it was before the BBFC changed the certificate logos, if you look at the new release of ID4 you can tell that the logo on Disc 1 is different to the logo on Disc 2 so you can be sure its the version with DTS. If you bought the DVD from the shop and opened it up to find Disc 1 with the same style of certificate logo as Disc 2 then you can be sure you have the original release.

15. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er hang on.................................................................isnt this fox? the same company that re did the id4 disc..............mmmm.........you know.............the wrong disc................in a new box

16. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago at my local branch of MVC with a copy of "ID4". The box was the for the limited edition release with the DTS sound and "The Day After Tomorrow" promo gubbins, but the disc inside was for the first release of the flick. I got my money back, but only after spending five minutes trying to explain to a mystified counter assistant why I was returning the disc.

Sounds like stocks ran low on this offer all over the place and Fox sent out old stock to keep the wheels running. Fact is that most people buying the movies probably wouldn't care either way about surround sound options, but it's something of an annoyance when you've bought a disc for the best quality presentation of the film possible and you don't get what you've paid good money for....

17. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so really fox are pulling a fast one because surely if an item does not have what it says, ....thats not right? an issue for watchdog surely? hmv still have the 2 for 1 thing going only now the id4 dvd in missing its cardboard slipcase and there is no dat sneek peak sticker on the box.

18. Jomox

Jomox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya,

unfortunately I have to bring this thread up once more. During my last vacation I bought the Predator SE in a shop in Ireland. Back home a had to realize that the movie disc was identical to the previous single edition - as some people did already mention here :mad: .

Now I'm from Germany and I can't just bring the disc back to the shop were I purchased it. At the FOX homepage I couldn't find the contact address for the customer service. Because of this I'm asking here for help to get in contact with FOX for an exchange.

Thanks for your help!

Greets

Jomox

19. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    why dont you all get in contact with trading standard and let them do the work on your behalf.

It i s illegal to not supply the goods that are advertised on the cover.

Genuine mistake or not they have to be made aware so they can fix it

20. Jomox

Jomox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A very good idea. But what if you are from Germany and bought the DVD in Ireland? Trading standards is only working for UK, not for Ireland. So I'm searching for a direct contact to FOX!

21. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i looked on their site, and i cant find a telephone number. but their address is (is this the right fox?)

Please send your written enquiry to:

Customer Enquiries
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Twentieth Century House
    31-32 Soho Square
    London W1V 3AP

22. Jomox

Jomox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, obviously I will have to write a letter then. Thanks for your help!

23. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jomox

i had a thought and did some investigating, i found a telephone number.

020 7437 7766

Good Luck

24. Toothy

Toothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Predator 'mix-up' also happened to me at Music Zone, took it back, explained the lack of DTS on the first disc and they exchanged it for another copy......with the correct first disc.

A few days later I bought ID4 DTS SE again from Music Zone...again no DTS on the first disc...I couldn't be bothered explaining to some spotty kid on minimum wage, what the problem was...so I just said it was bought as a present for someone and they already had it.....and they exchanged it for something else....and I bought the correct version from Blockbuster.

Both copies were unsealed when I picked them from the shelf...so I may have just been unlucky or the branch of Music Zone in my town, is staffed by students playing 'swap-discs' for a laugh. :thumbsdow ;)

25. Jomox

Jomox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ sjp1966: Thanx a lot! I really do appreciate it! I will give it a try.
    :D