Predator 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Stop it damn you do not temp me away from my plasma :D

Great review thank you.

Spot on review, took a decade but finally the film has the transfer it deserved and you are not wrong about it feeling like watching the film for the first time.

Well if the screenshots are anything to go by I will give this a massive bodyswerve
you can't make out detail in the dark

Altogether now - "get to da choppa". Great movie, and sounds like a great UHD blu-ray. On my list for sure.

Word of warning to anybody thinking of getting this 4K just for a decent blu ray, until an eventual TV & player upgrade, - don't. The included blu ray is not using the new master. (according to the review on digital bits). So all the old problems persist with that.

My only gripe is that catalogue titles like this (as amazing as predator is) should be cheaper. It'll inevitably appear in 2 for £30 offers though.

Great review thank you.
First of I was going to say "Stop it, I am already buying too many discs :)" but secondly as good as some plasmas are, there are two avenues to take going forward and you should if you want to see the best of the best (Men in Black). A lot of people have gone the OLED route which is like Plasma on steroids. I went what I call the LED HDR route. If you have the right LED then it is still matches or betters even the best Plasma for black levels but you get the best HDR which means awesome highlights, colours, reflections and more realism. Choose wisely and you won't miss your Plasma :)

First of I was going to say "Stop it, I am already buying too many discs :)" but secondly as good as some plasma's are
It was a little tongue in cheek (hence big grin in green) i admit but yes i know your right & one day i will OLED it.

Still i must admit am not looking forwards to buying the same movies all over again :D

Beta/vhs/dvd/blu/4K blimey i am in the wrong job (thank goodness i skipped laser disks)

Last edited:
It was a little tongue in cheek (hence big grin in green) i admit but yes i know your right & one day i will OLED it.
....A note to all reviewers, please only review crap discs. I still haven't watched all the discs I have bought yet. I do NOT want any more discs to buy :)

Sorry last off topic thing :)
Looking at your ridiculous system in your signature, I'm shocked you haven't already gone 4K. I mean I am happy with what I have got but you obviously are seriously into your AV lol. Very nice!

Sorry last off topic thing :)
Looking at your ridiculous system in your signature, I'm shocked you haven't already gone 4K. I mean I am happy with what I have got but you obviously are seriously into your AV lol. Very nice!
Why thank you , I am seeing what dies first me or the plasma :D (yes back on topic soz)

Well if the screenshots are anything to go by I will give this a massive bodyswerve
you can't make out detail in the dark
The picture is overall a bit darker compared to the crapfest Blu Ray. But HDR takes care of that.

But I'll take that with the grain put back and almost zero DNR so you can see everything with natural sharpness. I'll take it if I was Stevie Wonder.

It simply doesn't and wont ever get better than this. I didn't see anything that made me go, "It's needs another remaster"

Word of warning to anybody thinking of getting this 4K just for a decent blu ray, until an eventual TV & player upgrade, - don't. The included blu ray is not using the new master. (according to the review on digital bits). So all the old problems persist with that.

Yep all the Blu-rays included with the UHDs are the old discs so only good for the extras.

My only gripe is that catalogue titles like this (as amazing as predator is) should be cheaper. It'll inevitably appear in 2 for £30 offers though.

Picking up the Trilogy set is definitely the way to go, worked out £28 after selling the codes.

To those stuck with blu-ray for now...you still need the old blu-ray (not the "ultimate" edition here) which still looks reasonably good considering on my OLED. Cant wait to check the 4K later and thanks for the review Simon.

Put me in the grain hater camp, but I'm going to get this. Haven't seen it in years, and will try to see past the grain and enjoy the added detail and colours. Maybe I'll be converted.

Put me in the grain hater camp, but I'm going to get this. Haven't seen it in years, and will try to see past the grain and enjoy the added detail and colours. Maybe I'll be converted.
Question: Is it grain hating or your TV shows it more? I only ask because I've seen some films where the grain was not that obvious for me but others were saying it was awful.

Thanks for the Review Simon :thumbsup:

Great review thank you.

As a long time Plasma owner (Mine died on me :() I know how you feel!

First of I was going to say "Stop it, I am already buying too many discs :)" but secondly as good as some plasmas are, there are two avenues to take going forward and you should if you want to see the best of the best (Men in Black). A lot of people have gone the OLED route which is like Plasma on steroids. I went what I call the LED HDR route. If you have the right LED then it is still matches or betters even the best Plasma for black levels but you get the best HDR which means awesome highlights, colours, reflections and more realism. Choose wisely and you won't miss your Plasma :)

I went OLED & could not be happier :). I've said this before, but even the Missus, on the occasions we get to the Cinema, now says "I can't wait to see this on our Home Set up" :)

Still i must admit am not looking forwards to buying the same movies all over again :D

Beta/vhs/dvd/blu/4K blimey i am in the wrong job (thank goodness i skipped laser disks)

Yep I've sunk a lot of cash recently into getting 4K versions of our Faves - nearly there now, though, thank goodness!

....A note to all reviewers, please only review crap discs. I still haven't watched all the discs I have bought yet. I do NOT want any more discs to buy :)
:rotfl: Yep! Same problem here! Huge pile of unwatched disks sitting by the Sofa...but.must.buy.more!

Question: Is it grain hating or your TV shows it more? I only ask because I've seen some films where the grain was not that obvious for me but others were saying it was awful.
I can't say as I've only had one HDR television, and it's the same as used in this review. So I think it's just my own bias. Although I'd say there's no doubt that HDR shows up grain a lot more due to the maxed backlight and high resolution.

I can't say as I've only had one HDR television, and it's the same as used in this review. So I think it's just my own bias. Although I'd say there's no doubt that HDR shows up grain a lot more due to the maxed backlight and high resolution.
OK that is the TV I would have seriously considering because it has 3D but the reviews always said it wasn't brilliant at that. By the time I thought about getting one, I couldn't find one lol.

OK that is the TV I would have seriously considering because it has 3D but the reviews always said it wasn't brilliant at that. By the time I thought about getting one, I couldn't find one lol.
In the owner's thread the 3D isn't well regarded. So if that's a priority you've probably done well to avoid it. Slim pickings now though if you want 3D.

This absolute classic movie gets even better when you realise McTiernan made a film that ruthlessly and satirically deconstructs the generic 80’s blockbuster action flick.

Start with the fact that cinema goers must’ve been close to getting testosterone poisoning from seeing so many body-builders on the big screen at the same time - the ludicrous power handshake between Dutch and Apollo Creed at the beginning being a particular highlight. Then recall the scene where every surviving member of the team unleashes as much ordnance into the jungle as every other action film of the decade put together and hit absolutely nothing.

Then finally consider that the Predator is actually the protagonist of this film, in much the same vein as 80’s actioners cast alpha males as one-man armies to the point of cliche. Compare with another absolute classic Arnie cheese-fest Commando. In that he’s kills hundreds of soldiers single handedly in pursuit of his goal. In this, the Predator is the one-“man” army, using knives and a shoulder-mounted BFG to off a bunch of well-armed mercenaries whilst fighting with honour and sparing the life of the only non-combatant he comes across.

I have to buy a 4K telly just to enjoy this again in all its fabulous UHD glory.

I really enjoyed watching this new 4K disc - it looks so great compared to what has come before. Sometimes it is grainy, especially in the first five or so minutes, but generally less than I remembered from the 2008 disc and in terms of colour I found it something of a revelation, as you’ve said in your review. Nice one!

Great review thank you.

It's time to get rid of the plasma I'm afraid, you won't look back:)

Anyway, back on track.....I so want to buy the 4k but as big a fan as I am of the movie I'm honestly not sure I can watch it again:censored:
Ok, ok, I'm leaving:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom