Preamp ?

Vepman

Hello, I am looking for a budget turntable. My amplifier is a Nad 325cbee .. I think I need to do something like buy a preamp .? I’m really not sure what to do , the amp doesn’t have a facility for a phono so any advice would be gratefully received.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Depending upon your budget you have more than one option, yes you can purchase phono stage and it doesn't need to cost a small fortune or you could purchase a turntable with one built-in. Many turntable also enable you to turn this feature off enabling you an upgrade options whether it be the amp or phono-stage integration at a later date

So some of this will come down to budget and expectation plus if looks are important, then you'll most of these require more interaction than other with you having to change the speed of the record manually like the Pro-Ject Primary E Phono

Vepman

Thanks very much , if I were to get a turntable then with an inbuilt phonostage .. do you think I could connect it to the disc , video or tuner inputs of the amp ? They’re the only ones I have available as I’m using the aux and cd already ..

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you was to purchase any turntable with a built in phono stage, you could use any of the RCA inputs available. It would be the same if you purchased turntable which required an external phono stage to with the turntable having to be plugged into the phono stage and then those RCA's from the phono stage to any of the inputs on the stereo amp

I can see from an image that you have 5 input plus 2 for tape which both inputs and outputs. You also have pre out and a main input which you cannot use for these purposes of connecting a turntable

If you have the manual, do have a read as some of the inputs like video and disc could be lesser connections compared to cd, aux and tuner. I very much doubt it, but I seem to recall being told some manufacturers did do this in the past (I'm unable to substantiate it thought)

Ultimately, the easiest way is to try it in one of the inputs like cd and then move it to disc to see if it sounds any different. If sounds the same, then you know all the inputs are the same and you have nothing to worry about

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Have you had a record player before? There are lots of people that upgrade once they’ve got the bug so be sure to check your local marketplace too.

As Shane above says; the Pro-Ject Primary E Phono is a brilliant starter table or for not a massive amount more; the T1 Phono SB comes with some nicer features too.

Both feature a line out / phono out which can go into any RCA input on your amp.

Note - phono out is generally quieter than other line sources so you may need to change the gain a little (if poss) on your amp. But getting a more capable table that lets you turn the phono amp off gives you more scale to improve the sound at a later date :)

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Note - phono out is generally quieter than other line sources so you may need to change the gain a little (if poss) on your amp.

just to add to the above, not only is phono out in low level/volume (I.e. direct output from the cartridge, typically 2.5mV for a moving magnet) but it will also sound very odd as records are recorded with the bass and treble altered (google RIAA filter). The phono preamp (built into the turntable, built into the amp or a separate phono stage or preamp) not only boosts the signal to around 1V (40x amplification) which the line level inputs on the amp require (cd, aux, tuner etc) but also reverses the treble and bass filter applied in the record output making the record sound normal again. Plugging in a phono out from a turntable into the line in and turning the volume up to max does not work.

As above, I would start by looking for a table with a built in phono preamp (look for “line out” in the specs) and as others have said newish second hand items where the owner has upgraded are worth searching out. The Teacher TN300 is also worth searching for at around £150.

Here’s one for £120 but needs a cartridge, add a AT VM95e for £45 and away you go.

Last edited:

Vepman

Teacher TN 300...Ive not heard of that but Ill take a look , so you reckon Id be better off with the preamp built in...fair enough ..thanks mate

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Teacher TN 300...Ive not heard of that but Ill take a look , so you reckon Id be better off with the preamp built in...fair enough ..thanks mate
It saves another box to buy (phono pre amp) which when starting out, you want to be buying music :)

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You can get a preamp from around £20 (Behringer PP400) through the various Pro-ject Boxes (£60+) but I think you need to be in the £100+ region (maybe the Rega A2D) before you get a jump in performance over the built in ones (Pro-ject being a version of their Box E in the lower end turntables). Just my experience and your ears may say different.

Bigdigger

Novice Member
I think he means Teac TN300. I used to have one, good deck. Just changed it for a Project Debut Carbon

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom