Preamp to get TT further from AV Receiver?

drzz

Novice Member
Reaction score
*Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - but it's a bit of a crossover topic I suppose!

I've got myself into a bit of a conundrum!

I recently bought a onkyo 676 (which I'm loving, and can't fault so far!). And due to it having a phono input I decided to finally get myself a half decent record player. (project essentials 3).

So, before we start, I'm happy with the setup to be honest, the sound is really great, sure it could be improved upon, but I've spent enough money recently and I'm happy with it, for now!

My problem is more to do with cable length & my furniture setup.

Basically the wired rca/ground is quite short and severely limits where I can put the turntable, to the point there my only option is to either wall mount my tv, or buy a phono box.

Having the tv wall mounted would mean I could put the turntable on the TV unit under the TV, but this has its problems too - the cable length would be adequate with a bit of slack, but accessing the back of the receiver buy spinning it around would now tug on that cable, with the ground wire this makes it quite annoying!

With the phono box, I would, if I understand correctly, have much greater flexibility in how far from the main amp I can go. I don't want to go crazy, a few meters away with a meter or so of slack, so maybe 3-4 meters cable between the preamp and main amp.

So (actually whilst writing this I realise the phono box is the way to go!), any recommendations on a pre amp?
Theres a project phono box for £59 on richer sounds, decent enough reviews. Is it worth buying something so cheap, and will the sound quality be better or worse than going straight into my onkyo?
Or are there even cheaper ones which would still not degrade the sound at all?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom