Preamp question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by martinoslice, Jun 16, 2008.

1. martinoslice

martinoslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im using all the pre outs on my pioneer lx70 amp, 5 are going into a rotel 1095, the other two are connected to 2 mono blocks.
    Im using a sonos as my source connected via coax to a beresford dac which then connects via rca to the cd input of the lx70 which i listen to on the pure direct mode.
    My question is would i be better having a pre amp between the monoblocks + the lx70 or is the signal path from the sono's better the way it is.
    I feel adding a pre amp will just cause more complications as the signal seems to be going direct with the dac doing the processing.

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Unfortunately you have the LX in the signal path, i.e. it's dealing with the volume control.
    My experience with AV amps is that generally they're "not too hot" as musical pre-amps.

I'd suggest that you borrow a decent pre-amp from a local dealer that will work in synergy with your mono-blocks, and prove it either way to yourself.

3. martinoslice

martinoslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive tried a pre but i cant tell which sounds better, in the pure direct mode of the lx isnt there suppost to be no processing. I just use the volume on the sono's.

What would be your ideal way to set this up so i get the best of both worlds stereo/hc.

Is it suppost to sound better with a pre.

4. coliam

coliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Seems to me, the way you're using it, the LX70 is your pre-amp. ;)

The only way I can see another pre-amp helping is with the Sonos/Beresford combo,
    which could go direct to the pre-amp. Of course you'd have to find a pre-amp that
    performed better than the LX70 in Direct mode. :)

I suspect you'll find it'll be a high cost for a little gain in this situation.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You wouldn't be able to use a stereo pre-amp with movies, but it would be viable to setup source > DAC > stereo pre amp > power amp.
    I have to say that I would expect a good stereo pre-amp to out perform your LX.

6. martinoslice

martinoslice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think maybe a good processor that works well in stereo, it would also have to be hd, i know theres only a few about at the minute but theres a lot comming out this year, anything spring to mind.