Preamp for microphone in, karaoke

PolkChop

Novice Member
Not new to the forum, but newly registered. Need some preamp advice:

I have a Yamaha TSR-7850 AV receiver that has a dedicated Zone 2, which I intend to use for the microphone in a karaoke setup. I will of course be using the main zone to run audio tracks and video to lyrics, etc. I do not currently have a preamp, but have been wanting to purchase one for awhile now. In addition to the karaoke (which I will only use on rare occasions), I also have been interested in a preamp to better reproduce sound from my CD changer or other audio devices. I have seen many microphone-specific preamps that would solve the karaoke issue, but is there a preamp out there that I could use for both of my needs?

Any advice or guidance you have for this setup would be greatly appreciated. My system is a 7.1 (or 5.1 with a zone 2). Mains (Polk RT55i), Center (Polk CS245i), surround (Polk FXI30) and rears/zone 2 (Polk RT25i).

alebonau

Not new to the forum, but newly registered. Need some preamp advice:

I have a Yamaha TSR-7850 AV receiver that has a dedicated Zone 2, which I intend to use for the microphone in a karaoke setup. I will of course be using the main zone to run audio tracks and video to lyrics, etc. I do not currently have a preamp, but have been wanting to purchase one for awhile now. In addition to the karaoke (which I will only use on rare occasions), I also have been interested in a preamp to better reproduce sound from my CD changer or other audio devices. I have seen many microphone-specific preamps that would solve the karaoke issue, but is there a preamp out there that I could use for both of my needs?
hi PC, a very interesting question ! my daughter loves singing and something i explored some years ago and ended up buying a little amplified speaker with mic and guitar input instead...we use now for guitar and mic as sometimes happens for sing along :D

I have explored another solution and that is to simply use a mic pre amp or ADC unit. I have the teac unit below,

1616286098836.png

1616286131192.png

note it can also be used as a stand alone mic pre amp and also has a AD DA if needed which could feed any processor avr...

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Remember a preamp cannot improve the quality of the sound, only modify. You will still be running through the preamplification stages on your main amp.

I would suggest a small mixer would suit you best. This will have the mic inputs,.mono summing and panning so that you won't just end up with the mic just coming out of 1 speaker and some EQ controls so that you can tweak the sound. It will also have stereo line inputs for a CD player if you wish. Some mixers have simple echo and reverb settings, so that you can enhance the vocals and compression to provide some dynamic range compression and protect the amplifier and speakers.

Check out Behringer, Yamaha or Soundcraft as they all offer small mixers at reasonable prices.

Make sure you get PA speakers that will handle more abuse than domestic, as feedback and distortion will occur. You may be disappointed with the level your AVR amplifiers produce, as even if they are rated at 100w, they will struggle to get near that figure with all channels driven.

PolkChop

Novice Member
Thanks Alebonau and Noiseboy72, excellent advice! Both much better suggestions to solve my issue than I had come up with. I have actually been meaning to pick up a mixer for other applications, so I'll start there and work back towards a mic-preamp. Ultimately, the last thing I want is for some drunk friend to turn up the volume too high and blow one of my monitors yelling the lyrics to Don't Stop Believing. I'm going to tinker with it and post a reply on how it goes. Cheers!

alebonau

Thanks Alebonau and Noiseboy72, excellent advice! Both much better suggestions to solve my issue than I had come up with. I have actually been meaning to pick up a mixer for other applications, so I'll start there and work back towards a mic-preamp. Ultimately, the last thing I want is for some drunk friend to turn up the volume too high and blow one of my monitors yelling the lyrics to Don't Stop Believing. I'm going to tinker with it and post a reply on how it goes. Cheers!
definitely post back what you ended up finding going with and be great to hear how find it :)

ps i too now you mention it would be petrified if one of my speakers blew especially with mix feedback or something which is always possible in these kind of situations :D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom