Preamp choice.

Fanie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,
Which preamp , Nad c165bee or Rotel rc1570 , is the best choice for my system ; Roksan K2 power amp , Nad c565 cd player and Sonus Faber Toy Towers.
I prefer a warm to neutral sound . Your input please.

Thanks.

We can help someone create a Short List, but when it comes down to Product-A vs Product-B, it becomes too personal. I would imagine either of those would be good.

In this case, both are good, so you can go by price, style, and availability.

How much money do you have to spend?

Are you looking at USED equipment?

As to availability, I'm finding many sources for the Rotel RC-1570 (£795), but really none for the NAD C 165BEE. Though I'm just doing a quick Google search.

Hi-Fi Choice Magazine list the NAD at £650, though I can't verify that from other sources.

Given that both are most certainly good, I really think it gets down to your views on Price, Availability, Appearance, and Features.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve ,

Thanks for the information.

My main concern is the quality of the music from the system.

I'm closer to a final choice ! :smashin:

Regards.

I know you've asked for views on powered pre-amps but, from the information you give, I question the need for one in this setup. How about a passive pre-amp?

I'm not familiar with your kit but most CD players have a pretty healthy output that is more than capable of directly driving most domestic power amps' inputs to full output (you could check out the CD output voltage and amp input sensitivity specs to be certain).

All that active circuitry within conventional pre-amps can only add noise and possibly other distortions whereas a passive pre-amp is just a collection of sockets, switches, wiring, a potentiometer and a few resistors. Which do you think will likely impact the signal more? And which would you expect to have the longest maintenance-free life?

Tisbury Audio Mini Passive Pre-Amp, Stepped Attenuator Preamplifier

The Tisbury has built quite a reputation. Have a Google. I appreciate that, for those with a strong belief that cost relates directly to audio quality, spending such a small sum of money can adversely affect their perception of the sound quality whereas spending a fortune tends to favourably affect their perception of the sound quality.

I've used a similar passive pre-amp for years with Meridian, Crimson and Nytech power amps. Other than source output level/amp input sensitivity, the only instance when passive pre-amps may not be suitable would be if there was a long cable run between passive pre-amp and the power amps.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Again, how much MONEY do you have to SPEND and what features do you want?

If you have a pile of cash, then most certainly do consider this pre-amp that has Digital Inputs and Bass Management, plus Tone Controls, MM/MD Phono, XLR Input and outputs -

Model Halo P5 « Parasound

Roughly £1000 from Stone Audio -

Parasound P5 Preamplifier

A very highly rated product, dead neutral without being boring.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom