Pre region-free DVD recorder questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dave9946, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Dave9946

Dave9946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if DVD recorders that are sold on-line & in stores here in the Uk as Region-Free are set by altering the firmware or via a mod-chip?.

It's just the extra cost is likely not worth the money if it's only a firmware upgrade that we can all do ourselfs in seconds for free.

But if it's a mod chip solution then thats a different matter & raises a few questions. For would altering the firmware overwrite the use of the mod chip & therefor wipe out it's use?. Would trying to set the region therefor not work from having a mod chip fitted?. Can changing the firmware even work if a machine has been made region free via a mod chip?.

Dave9946

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Most will be firmware upgrades, but it is done in the case of Panasonics and others by using a special one use remote control and an update dvd which is quite expensive to rent and has a hefty security deposit, This is definately not a cheap option unless you can borrow one from a service engineer for nothing. Once the remote has been activated the once, it has to be returned for resetting to prevent its multiple use whilst out on hire.

3. Dave9946

Dave9946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that kenfowler3966, of some use & help.

My main reason for asking (as I've done elsewere with no real direction one way or the other) is that I'm wanting to to buy a particular model from Richer Sounds, a Yamada DVR800 recorder. The problem is that they dont have & probably wont be having any region 2 models back in & want me to instead buy the region-free version for £20 extra. This is of no use to me as I've no dvd's from any other regions & have had 2 dvd players for near 3 years now, both region free at some cost.

Richer Sounds are claiming ALL there dvd machines are chipped by a third party company, Tridek. But there site & 3 other sites that offer chipping & region-free services have nothing available for the Yamada brand. But Richer Sounds are stubbonly still insisting that the model HAS been chipped.

My point is that I want that model as my first DVD recorder for testing as it seems to have plenty of features I want to use. But as they cant be chipping or hard modding them in any way as explained above I'm feeling that they are falsly reporting the lack of region 2 machines instead, but only firmware upgrading them which we can all do ever so easily in secs & falsely selling them as chip modded & charging the extra £20 for a service that has not been done at all. Basically charging £20 for a job thats not been performed.

So I can either byt that crappy LiteOn unit from Currys or hope that Richer Sounds has the Philips DVDR70 in Region 2?

Dave9946