1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-purchase query r.e. Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PoochJD, Aug 25, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I was wondering if some of you may be willing to help answer this query for me please, regarding Sky+. I don't think it's been asked before, so here goes...

I am going to be buying a Sky+ box soon. It will be connected to my TV, alongside my VCR and DVD player. The reason being, so that if two TV shows clash, and both are on late, I can record one to the Sky+ box, and the other to my VCR.

Now, the question I have is this: is it possible to:-

1) Record one Sky channel (say E4), to the Sky+ box'x hard-drive, whilst also
    2) Recording a second Sky channel (e.g. FilmFour Extreme) to my VCR.

I'm worried, that I won't be able to do this, as my VCR won't be able to distinguish which signal it is meant to be receiving from the Sky+ box. (At the minute, it's easy. The Sky box is either on or it's off.) With Sky+ though, you can receive two different signals at the same time, but is there a way to tell either the VCR or the Sky+ box which signal is to go to the hard-drive, and which is to be sent to the VCR or TV set (as if I were going to watch/video it like from a normal Sky set-top box)?

Apologies if this is rather long-winded, but I hope it makes sense.

Thanks, in advance,

Pooch
    (DVD Talk moderator)

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    When the Sky+ box is recording onto its internal hard disk, it records the digital signal - it doesn't do the mpeg decoding (there's only 1 mpeg decoder in the box), so there is no way that this could end up going out of a SCART socket to be seen by your VCR. The VCR would only see the channel that you were watching.

So, you should have no problems.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Two channel simulataneous recording is going to be included in a future software upgrade on SKY+ which should make things a little easier also be advised that SKY+ does not have the autoview feature a standard digibox has.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In a word, yes... the channel recorded by your VCR is the on shown on the TV screen.

The channel recoded by Sky+ is not displayed unless you tune into the same channel.

As lmccauley said, soon you'll be able to record two digital streams at once which is even better! :D

5. caziain

caziain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have had Sky+ since it came out. I have an NTL Digital box as well as Sky. I frequently record both to Sky+ and the video at the same time with no probs as well as being able to record from NTL to video. You will be fine - hope this helps

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Guys,

Thanks sooo much for that help! You have really set my mind at ease! ;)

Now, let's hope I can swindle some kind of "deal" with Sky, to get the Sky+ box cheaper and the installation reduced as well.

Pooch