Pre-Purchase jitters

mikehiow

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the time has come to actually buy my TV, and I'm pretty set on which I want to buy, this being the 1080p LS 50PS3000.

I sit about 8ft around from the TV, and watch a lot of films (which will include blu-ray and "acquired" hd movies, as well as a fair few US shows, which I imagine will be in 720p. I plan on getting SkyHD, but there will still be a fair few SD broadcasts being watched, especially by the other half.

Now, my TV budget is around the £700 mark (or perhaps a little higher if in-store at a DSG store - I have some vouchers.), and I'm not 100% certain on my choice now

The other two main players would be the LG 50PQ6000 which is 720p, or the Panny 42 S10, I guess?

8ft from a 50" FullHD LG and watching a lot of SD?
:eek:

Good luck.
:D

Get the Panny.
;)

The trouble is, I have a 42" RP now, and it's starting to look a little small....

Over budget, and aren't the G10s supposed to be terrible for SD?

That said, my RP is terrible, is a bad SD picture on Plasma really going to be that much worse?

Edit: Just spotted the Panny 50 C10 is within budget.

Last edited:
Over budget, and aren't the G10s supposed to be terrible for SD?

That said, my RP is terrible, is a bad SD picture on Plasma really going to be that much worse?

Edit: Just spotted the Panny 50 C10 is within budget.

The G10 isn't terrible for SD but my main reason for posting was to warn you off the C10. It's Panasonic's budget model for a reason, the worst thing about it is it's lack of an anti-glare filter which means the thing will get very very bad reflections with any form of light shining on it. Best avoided, your budget gets you very close to a 50" X10 which is a fare better TV:)

Just found a 50X10 on Pixmania for £675.

Thanks for the heads up :smashin:

I'm still no closer to deciding. I just found a 42G10 on Pixmania for £775, which the budget could possible stretch to - but with a 50" Full HD set for less money, this doesn't seem like the best idea.

Is SD really going to be that bad with a 1080 50"?

Unless the LG is any good at scaling though (and their previous TVs I've seen haven't been), the fact it's FullHD is a disadvantage, not an advantage.

In terms of SD? Or upscaling from 720p, too?

SD is terrible anyway, unless it becomes unwatchable, I'm not sure I'd be entirely worried about SD - it's important that it doesn't degrade too much over current picture quality, but I think it could improve on colours alone, above the RP.

I personally cannot think of anything I'd personally watch in SD, it's more the other half, who is far less sensitive to picture quality.

Just noticed Richer Sounds clearance section, one seems intriguing;

PIONEER PDP507XA - £599

Either of them worth a look? or am I better sticking with the newer models?

I guess my best bet is to just pop into Richer Sounds and compare for myself.

On another note, Having just measured, it is in fact, about 9ft from wall to eyelevel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom