1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre/pro for Rotel RMB1095

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Snippermanden, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    decisions decisions.....

I have set my mind on a Rotel RMB1095 which was a fairly easy pick, hugely oversized for my current speaker setup but I do not want to upgrade ever again (wishful thinking).

Now the tricky part is to choose a pre amp / processor for to feed the thing. I do not think that the Rotel RSP 1098 is a realistic choice - it is VERY expensive (3.500 Euros).

My local hardware pushers logical alternative is the RSP 1066, which I quite honestly also find a bit pricey. I really like the new receivers from Yamaha and Pionner with their automatic speaker setup features. Now I know that the amp section of those boxes are quite inadequate, but how would they perform as pre/pro's for my Rotel amp? Particulary compared to the Rotel RSP 1066, do they offer decent bass management, and how does the processing and 2 channel sound compare?

Hope you can direct me and please do not refer me to the "Rotel Forum". They seem to be a bit biased towards Rotel ;-)

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Now that you have decided to go for a 1095 I wouldnt bother getting an integrated amp as you are paying for something you dont need plus a dedicated processor will sound better.

Up untill a few days ago I used to own a 1095 and used it with a TAG processor. A very good combination. Used TAG's can be had for about 1500 pounds or less so they represent good value. I personally would not bother with the Rotel 1066 - for a few pounds more you can pick up a used processor and it will be well worth the extra - Lexicon MC1/DC2, TAG, Meridian 568 all spring to mind and represent very good value in the second hand market - see the forum classified ads section.

By the way the 1095 is an absolute belter of a power amp. Good choice.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The RSP1066 is a very good pre/pro and good value for money. Depending on what you are trying to do it could be a better choice than a 2nd hand Tag or Lexicon, especially if you are using a sub/sat system.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can you elaborate - I don't understand.

I'd also say that moving from one of the older Rotel processors (the RSP966) to a Tag AV32R was night and day - massive difference in favour of the Tag. I'm sure the Rotel 1066 is a fair bit better than the 966 but up to Tag/Lexicon standards?

Matt.

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Meridian make the best dual purpose machines.

Dual purpose as in Movies & Music

Adz

6. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I use a TAG AV32R with my 1095. It is great for movies using the digtal inputs, and for music using the bypass. Look at www.ex-dem.co.uk for bargains, as well as the usual places for 2nd hand.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yup a very good combination. The guy who bought my Tag and Rotel 1095 had a listen before we packed it up - he thought I was completely insane selling it and to be honest I still am not completely sure I made the right decision. Hopefully when my new kit arrives all doubts will go away.

Jeff - what do you mean - why would a Rotel 1066 be a better choice than a second had TAG or Lexicon when using a sub / sat system. I have listened to a 1066 in action and although it is a nice piece of kit, frankly it doesnt even compete with a TAG AV30R let alone the more expensive TAG models. And that was using a sub/sat system (M&K 850 series)

8. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now Im the (unfortunate) resident of a very small highly taxed country which means that a TAG processor is not available as 2. hand. You all know what that means!

From what I have heard the 1066 is very nice, but is is much nicer than the pre/pro part of a Yamaha RXV-1400 Receiver? Particulary if you consider that the Yamaha is much cheaper.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If it's any consolation the RSP-1098 costs the equivalent of USD4000 here in Taiwan. And it's 110V only. :(

10. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The question is does the 1098 worth the price?
    what is the gain.

11. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I have recently sold my stereo equipment to consolidate my electronics somewhat! I went for the RSP-1098 and 1075 combination.

I have been delighted with my purchase and have been very impressed by the performance of the Rotel gear whatever the mode of operation (stereo or AV).

The 1098 uses the very latest DSP from Crystal Semiconductor (a gerneration ahead of some pricier UK models) coupled with advanced DAC's. It used a modular design internally and is firmware upgradeable.

Basically it is designed in the UK/Japan and built in China therefore giving fantastic design and performance while taking advantage of lower manufacturing costs.

I have been blown away by this combination and it some of the UK built competition ;) that I have heard.

Regards

Darren

12. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    oops - typing too fast while not using brain!

Should read "I have been blown away by this combination and it performs better than some of the UK built competition"

Tut-tut-tut!

13. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i love stereo as much as av, and its good to ear that 1098 performs stereo very good.

Is the power amp 1075 enought or should buy the 1095.

14. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Put it this way, the 5 * 120W is enough for me and the load (KEF Q7/9C/Q1). However, the 1095 has twin 1500VA transformers supplying plenty of current for the 5 * 200W output. It really depends on the speakers demands!

If I had the cash I would have gone for the beefier amp!

My previous amplifcation for stereo was the Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre/power combination. I never thought I would part with these as for the price they are phenomenal. The Rotel's come close enough in performance for it to be of no major concern - that's a tribute to both products...

Darren

15. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My speakers are Kef q55.2 and q15.2 and the central, so i think 1075 is more than enougth.

My currente av is a yamaha, i hope the differences are abismal.

16. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My ten penneth worth

I use the Tag AV32R with the Rotel 1075 amp and am very pleased with this combination. The Tag is a joy to work with

17. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
  18. Snippermanden

Snippermanden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bid risky to buy used equipment abroad!

19. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Been in Italy so unable to reply.

There are 2 reasons why I believe why the Rotel could be a better choice. Firstly the Tag and Lexicon don't have nearly enough crossover options, the only realistic one is 80Hz, if you have an anomaly at round the crossover point due to room acoustics you are pretty much stuffed as they say. Sats like Gallos and many others struggle at 80Hz anyway leaving you just the 120Hz option. The Rotel supports 40, 60, 80, 100 an 120Hz crossover points.

The second reason is that the analogue multi channel input has an analogue 100Hz crossover, this allows you to feed an analogue source such as a CD player, bypass all the processing (A/D, D/A conversion) yet still support the sub/sat setup. The sound is very transparent and IMO better than what the TAG and LEX could achieve with full bass management switched on.

20. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thats all very well, but the Rotels actual quality of the BM is not the match of the Lexicaon or the Tag. In using the (Tag) 5.1 input as connection to a cd player the Rotel is NOTHING like as transparent as the TAG.
    Infact i would take (i.e) a MF 3.2 cd player connected (via sp/dif) to a Tag using the TAGs DAC's - which allows BM or direct modes, over a MF3.2 connected to Rotel 1066's analogue inputs any day of the week.
    The Rotel is not the match of the Lex or Tag in any department IMHO.

Regards

Steven

21. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Steve, have you tried this or is that a wag? Is it that hard to believe that an analogue crossover can beat A/D and D/A conversion with full digital bass management?

22. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Jeff.

Your angle of approach is indeed appreciated, but with reference specifically to the 1066 which i have indeed spent a week or so with, i honstly didn't it was that great as an active pre-amp, just MHO of course. Your points are and would be valid with perhaps something other than the 1066 (just my humble opinion again)
    Does the fact that the 5.1 input having a crossover in it's path not put you off as regards DVD-A/SACD?
    The best option would surely be connect a CD player to the Tag 5.1 bypass which is a true bypass and connect the sub at high level input, this for me would offer transparancy??

Regards

Steven

23. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    DVD-A and SACD aren't a priority, 2ch and multi channel sound from the PC is a much greater priority for me. As they don't have bass management the Rotel offers a neat solution, better IMO than going though A/D D/A conversion and bass management on the older 2nd hand Tag and Lexicon (which is what we are talking about). Using the high level input is an option (if a bit messy) for 2ch but not multi channel. Regarding the lack of crossover options on the TAG and LEX for regular digital stuff, it is my opinion that having a flat frequency response at and around the crossover point is critical for good sub integration. This is one of the reasons is discarded the AV32R and the MC1 during selection. Had either met my requirements I would have been more than happy to go down the 2nd hand route, after all I bought your power amp ;) As it is, I believe I choose wisely as the sub/sat integration between my sats and sub are about as perfect as you can get and from analysis I now know that a 80Hz crossover wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

24. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    is the rotel 1098 good in 2Ch and multi Chanel or there at the same price better options?