1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre & Power amp or integrated AV amp???

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by GFS AV, Mar 3, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys, bare with me on this one - I have absolutely 0 knowledge of Pre/Power amps. I am still on my first AV amp (Yamaha DSP-AX640SE), and until now, I have never thought of any other methods i.e. 2 or more seperate units.

So, a few basic questions...

1. Can you get better surround sound quality from a seperate AV Pre-amp and power-amp, rather than using one?

2. Is this a popular method?

3. How much do you have to spend to make it worth while i.e. If you're spending under say, £500 in total, are you better of going for something like a Pioneer 1014?

4. Am I talking complete b******s? Do pre/power amps only apply to stereo setups?

Over the past couple of years I have gained quite a bit of knowledge in basic setups i.e. DVD players, AV amps, speakers etc etc, but I have never actually looked in to any other possibilities. Can you tell? :blush:

Also, can you guys give me any examples of budget Pre/power amp setups?

Any help would be great :)

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    1. Yes
    2. While not in the majority, there are a significant number that have gone done this path.
    3. At £500, IMHO the Pioneer would be the best option. Separates will set you back much more. As an entry into separates, you would be looking at
    - Sherwood Newcastle P-965 / A965
    - Rotel RSP-1068 / RMB-1075.
    4. No, you are not talking bs, but you are expecting alot for £500. I doubt you would find something 2nd hand.

3. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GFS
    I used exc.. naim nait1 for many yrs, and its much superior to most ordinary/ int amps, but try and get a 2nd hand naim pre power setup they last ferever, i was advised to look for NAC72 pre and (NAP140 < best) and a flatcap power supply for pre amp later.. makes big difference to quality..
    get DNM Cables, not bog standard type..

few here.. get a deal...
    http://www.audio-t.co.uk/html/offers/amplifiers.html

or dealers
    http://hifi.dealers.co.uk/london.htm

you wont wrong with naim power !
    i just getting a brand new setup while i have funds naim 112 + 150 and flatcap2 :) stax cans too :clap:

goto audioT rather than richer sounds ! cept fer tapes lol..

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. So basically, the only way to make it worth while is to 2nd hand/ex dem, or spend a LOT on new stuff.

As I said, at the moment I have a Yamaha 640SE amp. This seems excellent to me at high volumes, but it does lack oomph at low-medium volumes. Is there any way I could upgrade keeping the Yamaha in the picture?

As for the naim system you mentioned. How much do these cost new, and what would this be the equivalent of in terms of an intergrated amp?

Thanks again for your help.

5. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GFS

Billy Vee are doing a offer on that 112 + 150 for 1050 quid, but worth 1500... and get a (flatcap 400 quidish) later meebe, hey listen its diffrence between chalk n cheese compared to your amp, sorry, but true, talk to pat at BV...Get his pro opinion if nothin else..they install even to paris fer few quid..
    but any 2nd hand naim will blow you away..see the link above fer prices of say..naim 140 < a must + 72
    but talk to pat hes cool... lmk

Billy Vee: 248 Lee High Road, London. SE13 5PL, Tel: 0181 3185755

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    GFS,

I am not sure of the speakers you are using, but just a 2 (or 3) channel power amp may be an option.

You would then use the pre-outs of the Yamaha into the power amp to drive the front speakers, and the internal amps of the Yamaha to drive the rest. 2nd hand power amps can be sourced quite cheap.

It might be a viable option. Good luck

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I should have read the post more closely. From that description, I suspect your problem may not be the amplification. I would be leaning towards the speakers or room acoustics. The volumn needs to be cranked up to compensate for something else.

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Harry,

my speakers are Mordaunt-Short Avant 906 fronts, 905 centre, 902 rears, and BK XLS200 sub.

My room is about 4m square so the speakers certainly dont have a lot of work to do.

Please let me know your thoughts.

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a 5.1 setup so where would I use the 3 channel power amp?

Are there any 3 channel power amps which would be ideal to match with my Yamaha 640SE?

Can you name a few for me please?

Thanks for your help

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi GVS,

I am not familiar with your speakers, I will guess then it might be the acoustic properties of the room. Do you have lots of hard surfaces (ie polished floorboards, bare walls, floor to ceiling glass windows, minimal furniture)? If you do, you may possibly consider floor rugs, paintings, curtains etc to minimise the early reflections.

Also worthwhile, would be have a listen at some Quad 11L. These speakers are very good at extracting detail at low volume for comparison to your MS's.

Grabbed from another thread (posted by Kraal)(http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191659&page=1&pp=15)
    And I have also seen examples from NAD, Rotel and Denon (note I am not sure of models available in the UK)

You would use the 3 channel amp to power your Front Left, centre and front right. The Yamaha would power the rear speakers.

If you choose a 3 ch amp, I wouldn't be too worried about matching the amp.

And just to confuse you even more, you could also consider a Rotel RMB-1066 (6 x 60W) and bi-amp the fronts, or run it in bridged mode at 3 X 150W (as discussed in the above thread).

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Harry T2, I'll have a think.