Pre Outs & Ext In.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Drex, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Drex

Drex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Please could you confirm for me,that if I wanted to use my current av receiver with a better audio video processor,I would use the pre outs on the audio video processor,and go into the ext in on my av receiver ?

If this is correct,I assume that the av receiver will just be used for amplification purposes only ?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    I assume you mean newer when you say better (with newer features) and not actually better. Since if you buy a better AVR with better amplification then why would you still want to use your current receiver?
    If it is newer you want then as long as it has preouts (only higher end models tend to have preouts now) then these can be used with the multichannel input on your Denon to use the Denon as a power amp.

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I am not aware of any receiver having power amp inputs - the Ext In (multichannel in) is an input in to the recevier's pre-amp phase and is not suitable. If you want to use a processor, you will need to purchase a mulitchannel power amplifier.

[It is technically feasible to use the Ext In as if it were a power amp input by messing about with the volume control - it sounds rather worse than awful].

4. Drex

Drex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ok,what it is,I already have the Denon AVC-A1HDA,

I have always been on the look out for the AVP \ POA solution,so if
    I was to buy the AVP-A1HDA,could I connect this to my AVC-A1HDA ?

Then when I get enough funds to pay for the POA-A1HDA,then I would sell my AVC-A1HDA.

Thanks in advance,

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    You can do what you're asking but it's a bit of faff as you'll have to play around with level matching etc. Bear in mind that your remote will operate both units at the same time so you'll need to cover up the sensor on your AVC-A1HDA.

I'd add the POA power amp first and then maybe add the AVP if you think that will improve performance further. The AVC has a pretty good Pre-Amp section though. ;)

6. Drex

Drex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thank you for clarifying, that it would work Jase,

I understand all of what you said above ;)

I was only looking at this option,because the AVP has come up for semi decent money,but no POA.

decisions,decisions....

7. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    Tricky one really. Also depends what your budget is as well. Much as I like Denon kit I'd also have a look at the other stuff that's now on the market.

8. Drex

Drex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Budget wise,probably about 4-5K for the pair.

Maybe the newer pre\pro are more upto date and maybe sound better ?

But I do like the asthetics of the denon's and I also like it in silver,where as a lot of these others are in black only.

Would the AVP be more suited to the POA,or would my AVC, go just as well with it ?

Are there many differences between my AVC and the AVP for audio\video processing duties ?

9. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    I'm struggling to remember any standout differences between the two as they share the same DAC's, Video Processing and DSP's as far as I can recall. The AVP has balanced outputs so that's an advantage when connecting to the POA.

Your AVC will work very well when connected to a POA via the RCA outputs and is a good way to go if you eventually want to end up with an AVP/POA combo. I'd be having a listen before you parted with your cash though to see if you can hear any improved performance.

Another thing to consider is they're all discontinued so won't be getting any further upgrades. Having said that, if you snap up an upgraded 3D model with XT32 that pretty much brings you up-to-date.

5K is a decent amount to have to spend and if you were to sell/trade your current Denon then that'll increase. I've been looking at the newer generation of Class D poweramps as they don't seem silly money and are quite powerful. A second-hand Bryston poweramp would also do nicely. Processor wise, I'd consider the new Marantz. Proving tricky to get hold of though or even demo.

10. Drex

Drex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oh well,it looks like i'm keeping what I've got for the minute,

Sometimes,its hard spending money....isn't it :)

Thanks again Jase, for your help and information,it is much appreciated.