1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pre-outing

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Buckland, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just built up an av system of pioneer 434 plasma, ax5i amp, 868 dvd and dynaudio speakers

I want to run my cd player (rega planet) though my old aura hi-fi amp into the left/right dyn 72s wich gives better audio quality. I am told this can be done by "pre-outing" the amplifier.

Is this easily done? Is it best to also use the hi-fi amp to drive them for films as well, or revert back to the ax5i for that.

How do other people integrate their av and audio systems?

Help please

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Take the main L & R Preamp (line level - usually phono (RCA) sockets) output signals from the ax5i and feed into an Aux input pair on the hi-fi amp. Use the hi-fi amp to drive the speakers.

You'll have to determine a volume control setting for the hi-fi amp when used with the ax5i to get the levels balanced, and reset to that each time you want ot show a film.

Then you can just select between the CD player or the Aux input on the hi-fi depending on what you want to hear on the main speakers.

Assuming, that is, that the hi-fi amp has enough power to give you the levels you need for film.

3. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i then control the hifi volume though the ax5i for films?

maybe i'm better off having a speaker switch and running the two am[ps and sources completely seperately??

many thanks

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Your volume contorl of the ax5 will change the volume of the front pair at the same time as the other speakers (it will pass a louder signal to the hifi amp if you increase the volume of the av amp). follow davekh's advice & you'll be fine

5. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does that have any adverse on the sound quality when watching films?shouldn't it be better because i'm using a proper hifi amp on the l/r speakers?

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It doesn't have an adverse effect on SQ for films on my setup. Mmmm does it sound better? don't think so - certainly not noticable

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I am currently doing the same thing with my Cyrus 8 amp. I use it only for two channel use but for movies I have the preouts from my AV amp going into it. I don't think it sounds any better for DVDs with or without the stereo amp but it's certainly not any worse. I just set the volume on my Cyrus 8 amp to 12 'O' clock when watching DVDs as that is where the volume was when I configured the AV amp with it connected.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As mentioned by others, the sound for DVD is going to be much the same with or without a HiFi amp connected.
    The reason for this is because the part of the AV amp that lets down the sound for CD etc is the pre-amp and not (normally) the actual amplifacation. When watching a DVD you still use the AV amps pre-amp, but for CD this is not.

Mark.