Pre out integrated amp question

kevrev

I am adding an integrated amp (
Music Fidelity M5si) to my Denon AVR 4400.
My question relates to my subwoofer ( BKXXL400) and if i need to change the connections?
Currently of course it connects to the Denon, but if i was running the system with say music through a streamer/Dac connected direct to the amp, how would i get the sub involved with the front L & R speakers?

D

Deleted member 39241

That sub supports both high level and low level connections at the same time. So, use low level from the AVR and high level from the stereo amp.

Instructions are in the BK manual.

You can blend the sub to the stereo amp using the crossover and volume dials on the sub, then run Audyssey when it's all set up and that will tune everything for the AVR.

Upvote 0

kevrev

That sub supports both high level and low level connections at the same time. So, use low level from the AVR and high level from the stereo amp.

Instructions are in the BK manual.

You can blend the sub to the stereo amp using the crossover and volume dials on the sub, then run Audyssey when it's all set up and that will tune everything for the AVR.
Thanks Rambles.
So what would the high level from the sub connect to if there isnt a dedicated sub connection on the amp?
Also when its all connected up and the amp volume etc is controlled through the AVR and I wanted to play music through a streamer/ dac connected through the amp, what do i need to select on the AVR to get the output from the streamer?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 39241

The high level connection uses the speaker outputs from the Musical Fidelity amp, it 'piggy backs' with the same connections as the main speakers. You should have got a high level connector cable when you bought the sub.

The MF amp volume is only controlled by the AVR when using the HT bypass input.

When listening to music, you switch the AVR off and just use the other inputs on the MF amp for your music sources (eg streamer / cd player) and control the volume by the volume knob or remote control of the MF amp.

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Thanks Rambles.
So what would the high level from the sub connect to if there isnt a dedicated sub connection on the amp?
Also when its all connected up and the amp volume etc is controlled through the AVR and I wanted to play music through a streamer/ dac connected through the amp, what do i need to select on the AVR to get the output from the streamer?
REL-Neutrik.jpg

BK use the same connections as REL, so this connection would apply.

Upvote 0

kevrev

View attachment 1470183
BK use the same connections as REL, so this connection would apply.
Thats really helpful thanks Gibbsy! Apologies for these type of questions ! I am on a steep learning curve!
I guess there wouldnt be an issue with the sub connected this dual way with the AVR running with the amp on in HT bypass mode? There wouldnt be a conflict?

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Thats really helpful thanks Gibbsy! Apologies for these type of questions ! I am on a steep learning curve!
I guess there wouldnt be an issue with the sub connected this dual way with the AVR running with the amp on in HT bypass mode? There wouldnt be a conflict?
This is how REL describe it.

LFE/.1 input:

The LFE/.1 input is only used when connecting your REL to a surround sound system. The LFE/.1 input can be used simultaneously with the High Level or Low Level input for seamless transition from Stereo to surround sound.

Upvote 0

kevrev

Perfect ! Thank you so much Rambles !
Having fun now building a raspberry pi as a streamer ! Nice to be able to add a build your own element

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom