1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Order the PSP (UK)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by monkeyleader, Jan 7, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yup you read right .. amazon have it up on their website - do they know sonething we dont ? Check it out here

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Nah, loads of companys are offering customers the ability to pre-order. Sony hasn't announced the price for the PSP in the USA, and have only hinted at a late March release there, let alone talked about Europe. That's why most companys are speculating that the PSP will be £180 so as to cover themselves. I reckon it will be no more than £150 for the PSP on it's own. Especially as the DS is likely to be £130 max. As for the release date. Sony has struggled to manufacture suffcient units for Japan. I'm not convinced there will be enough for Japan and USA, Canada etc, that they will have enough for a decent Euro launch come March. Perhaps April/May is a more likely date.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Yeah, but it's not a bad idea to pre-order at that price, and then cancel your order if Sony confirm the price is going to be lower.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Why pay £130 for a DS (N64) when you can get a gamecube for about £50?

Seems a bit mad to me that is all! Especially as the PSP can justify its cost by the fact it will play movies and music on their duo cards!

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Using your same logic, you think thats justification for getting a PSP over a PS2 which will play movies, CDs, etc?

It's going to be all about the games. PSP games are going to offer little if anything over their PS2 equivalents.

DS games on the other hand have genuine scope for innovation with the dual screens, touch screen, microphone, etc. Add in backwards compatability with the GBA and its a tempting proposition.

6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    my mate wasnt able to get me a DS this time but hes back in the states in Feb - in fact I might be over around then as well so Im defo going to get my DS from there .. with Mario 64 and the $$ rate it was working out at £95 .... not bad at all !!! As for the PSP - yup getting onen of those as well :)

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Cos it's difficult to carry round a GC and screen with battery pack that lasts 10 hours or so. Though I know where you're coming from. I'm far more interested in the next gen consoles myself. I had an N64 and completed M64 through 120 stars twice. I see no point playing it through for a 3rd rime but on a smaller screen and with akward control system. Much more interested in GC/XBox games. Especially RE4, new Zelda and Mario 128. I don't have a need for portable gaming. Though it seems most people play their handheld indoors anyway. Go figure!? :confused:

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thats just it though. By making the PSP more a multimedia device, it will appeal to gamers such as me, that haven't been really interested in handheld gaming before.

In my case I had a game gear years ago which I loved, and traded in my dreamcast at the time for a gameboy advance, which I was sorely disappointed with!

But by making the PSP able to play music and movies on the go, I don't think I will be able to resist!

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I'm quite interested in the PSP. Though I think more for the technology and hardware, rather than any of the games. Bought an SP, but quickly realised that I'd done 2d games to death over snes, amiga, Atari st etc, etc... I just prefer playing games on a big screen, and with no need for gaming on the go, I've no real need for a PSP. Part of me wishes that I had an hour long train journey to work to justify buying one.