PRE-N Router for Xbox360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by 2scoops, Mar 12, 2006.

1. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good PRE-N Wireless ASDL Router for use with streaming HD material to the 360. It must have a ADSL feature and it must be PRE-N
    as i've been told PRE-N is the only wireless technology that can handle HD streaming.

A wired connection is not an option, also has anyone had a luck with those homeplug devices?

Thanks

2. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi

See my post here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316081

Looks like we are trying to achieve the same thing. Let me know if you find any info out, as I too don't want to have to go wired. The Homeplugs, which are supposed to run at 85mbps, didn't work too well for me, I have also tried Wireless G which as expected was even worse.

Are you using the official MS wireless adapter, as they only support 54mbs?

3. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I had a Belkin Pre-N router which was unable to successfully stream HD video, it was constantly breaking up.
    On the scale it showed perfect for normal files but wouldnt register on the HDTV bit.

The wireless adaptor had line of sight and was no further than 4 meters away.

IMHO you need wired for HD streaming.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Yeah depends a lot on whether the 360 is wired or you're using the wireless adaptor. If you're using the wireless adaptor then you're best bet will be a dual A & G router and use the a band (5GHZ) for your streaming to the 360, linksys do one I think (not sure of the product name). If you're PC is connected by wireless and the 360 is hard wired then this router is supposed to do the trick:-

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/MFR/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2437

Not cheap though, especially since you'll need a £60 PCMCIA or USB adaptor at the PC end on top of the router price. And it's just a router not an ADSL modem so you need one of those too. Theoretically it's as good as a wired connection though, not sure about in practise.

5. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    None are wired all wireless. Yes I have read about that Linksys one, might give that one ago, then if that doesn't work, it'll have to be out with the Cat5 and trunking and someone to do a bit of installing, which I don't want to do.

6. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the advice

My connection from the 360 to the router is wired, my PC connects wirelessly to the router. Ideally i need a ADSL Router though, i might try that linksys one out that ebuyer sells.

thanks

7. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    This guys advice is sterling, agree totally

8. mikthe20

mikthe20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I use a Belkin pre-N and it streams HD absolutely fine. Took me a while to get the server and router signals maxed out by adjusting the antennas, but works like a dream now. It probably very much depends on location of the router and client. HTH.

9. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Not entirely sure but, when I looked into this it seems that Netgear didn't support Live very well (assuming the x360 connects wireless).

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    it depends on your situation

Pre-N will get the best from the wireless available in your home. you should get throughput of around 30Mbps/sec which is a lot better than normal b or g networks.

But if you have neighbours with wifi, have a DECT phone, use the microwave a lot, have metal stud walls between your wireless kit, then that will drop.

'a' wifi is better as it uses a different frequency which is less likely to be interfered with.

In summary:

wired is best for speed, but least convenient
    pre-N will give you the best standard wifi performance you can get in your house
    if that isn't enough, 802.11a may be better if you have lots of interference.

12. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've ordered the Netgear MIMO pre N Adsl Router from ebuyer for £95 with USB wifii adapter

I'll let you know how good it is.

Also purchased MCE 2005 quite cheap from ebuyer also

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

This was indeed the very router I was worried about and incompatabilities with Live!.

Would be interesting to hear if it was bad or good info from your tests.

14. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    i don't use live that much, apart from downloading the odd demo also i have a wired connection from my router to my 360, so hopefully any compatability problems with the MS wireless adapter won't apply.

I'll let you know how i go on, if it doesn't work then it's going on ebay!

:)

15. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If it doesn't work, send it back.

A quick note about Pre-N/MIMO, it's much better over distance and where there are lots of objects around/in the way. If you've get clear line of sight over 4m, you'd do just as well if not better with a standard G network.

As others have said, A is better in any event for HD content; it isn't as susceptible to interference. MS also recommends that one of the connections is wired i.e. PC to router or 360 to router.

I'm using the Linksys WRT55AG router btw (with a Linksys ADSL modem).

16. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    just my thoughts
    Personally, I would wait until the 801.11n standard is finalized before getting a mimo/pre n router. As yet, the n standard has not been ratified by all manufacters so all their equiptment is slightly different and is probably not compatible (eg. a netgear pre n router probably wont work with a belkin pre n network card).
    Also, the pre n / mimo devices out now, will probably not work with the ratified version of the 801.11n standard

17. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I was aware of the pre-n standards issue prior to purchase, i can't really see the compatibility with other devices being an issue for me as i purchased the router bundled with netgear's rangemax mimo usb adapter and for me at the moment my only wireless device is my PC upstairs. My Xbox 360 has a wired connection into my router so that should rule out any issues with compatability with the MS Wireless adapter.

The router should arrive today so i should be able to give you my review tonight. I get about 8-9 mbps with my current netgear wireless G 54mbps router at (through a wall and downstairs about 8 meters away) so i'm hoping for at least 20mbps from the new Netgear MIMO one.

I also set up Windows MCE 2005 last night

Has anyone got any guides / tips for setting up the streaming of HD TS clips etc?

I've heared HDTV pump and Transcode 360 get a few mentions

18. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Will be interesting to see how well it works, look forward to your comments later

19. 2scoops

2scoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Inital results are a bit mixed, i downloaded three small clips two HD wmv clips off the M$ website (one in 720 and the other in 1080) they were only about 40 seconds long and encoded at 24fps (bit low). To be honest both of my routers, my old standard 54mbps Netgear 802.11g router and the DG834PN RangeMax handed them no problem. I then download a 1 minute TS clip and the old netgear struggled, with the DG834PN it played fine.

I then downloaded a 6gig HD TS file and the DG834PN struggled (network congestion) - i didn't have much time left to play with the positioning of my router and usb adapter but it was a bit dissapointing, It seems to be find running stuff at 20-25mbps per sec ok but beyond that it seemed to falter.

Ahh well, i'll do some more testing tonight but it might be time to get the 20 meter cat 5 cable and drill out! :suicide:

Maybe the Netgear RangeMax 240 would have been ther better choice (doesn't do ADSL though! :thumbsdow )

20. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for the mini review.

Seems like its the netgear or wire then :(