1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre First Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by firstwave, May 10, 2004.

1. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I am looking at buying the panasonic AE500 projector. I purchased a samsumg 42" plasma last year which I am now looking at replacing due to poor picture quality in dark scenes.

I went into the local panasonic shop today for some advice, and the guy basically told me the projector should NOT be used for normal TV, only for films, cause general TV (telewest through Tivo in my case) gives a very poor picture. Now I am planning on the projector being my only visual device - so is he correct? or do you guys use the projector for everything as I originally planned.

Also, is it best to mount the projector on a shelf (above to the sofa in my case), or on a desk infront (I cannot ceiling mount)?

If on a shelf, will it need to be so low as to interfere with seating?

Sorry for the three really daft questions, but dont wont to make the same mistake as I did with the plasma.

Thanks

Darren

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    I would agree with that comment to a certain point, using a projector for everyday TV usage would be difficult for a number of reasons, will your room be light controllable? Too much light and the picture will be unwatchable, washed out at best, the darkest room possible is desirable.
    Secondly TV broadcasts vary greatly in their picture quality, I wouldn't personally use it for everyday TV use with the exception of big sports events, Euro2004 etc, get some mates round, a beer or two :smashin:

Shelf would be better IMO as it would be less likely to be knocked than if it was on a coffee table or desk!

Mine is on a shelf approx 5ft above seated head height, the trick with the Pannys is that they have to be turned upside down if sited high up in this manner (use rubber spacers at the corners to lift the PJ up off the shelf though to let some air circulate under the unit and make sure you have enough space behind for adequate ventilation as the Panasonics vent out the back, very important!) there is then an option in the setup menu that can be changed so the image is projected the right way up.

HTH and good luck :thumbsup:

3. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Don't forget bulb life. If used for everyday TV you'll easily go thru' a few bulbs. These are expensive to replace!

4. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - looks like it may be back to a CRT TV for me then. My average TV viewing is 2-3 hours per night max in a room with little or no light and dark curtains.

If the projector cannot handle use for this amount of hours (21 hours per week max), then looks like it's not for me. I also thought the bulb should last a good six months at this amount of usage - but again maybe i was mis-informed.

The other reason for use was for large screen gaming, but again the guy in the store said they were no good for this.

Thanks for your replies.

5. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the bulb on the AE500 should last about 2000 hours and that's on high lamp setting, using low lamp it should last for longer, and on my AE500 (although currently with panasonic due to some permanently lit pixels :( ) the low lamp power setting is very bright in a nice dark room.

And games are fantastic on it, using an Xbox/Cube/PS2 with prog scan is stunning to behold.

I personally just use mine for films and games though, mainly because it's in a dedicated room, so I have my regular CRT TV in the lounge for everyday TV watching

6. c3po

c3po

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Firstwave

21 hours per week is quite low so a projector should be ok, thats about a movie a night. You can get away with a lower brightness projector if your room can be darkened right down. This should allow you to run in econ mode for longer life. For the h30 at 21 hours per week with a bulb lifespan of 2000-3000 hours is 2-3 years but remember the bulbs are only guaranteed for something like 90 days.

If I were you i would keep the Samsung and buy a projector but also try a progressive feed DVD, Harmon Kardon DVD22 is ace.
    then you get the best of both worlds, one for casual and one for movies.

7. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks WPA,

you see once I have sold my plasma, I will only have cash for either a projector or a crt tv, not both. This coupled with my sheer dissapointment with the plasma is why I am hesitant.

However, you seem to have re-affirmed that maybe the amount I want to use it would be suitable.

Think I will have to try and get some professional advice on this, maybe phone panny themselves to see if they can advise whether it would be suitable for the amount of usage I am talking about.

On another note, how do you get prog scan on your xbox - so do you have an adapter or something?

thanks again,

Darren

8. WPA

WPA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Essentially the easy way is to chip your Xbox, and then set the dashboard to NTSC, this gets you the option to support 480p and 720p (it's in the h/w but left out of the PAL dashboard for some annoying reason)

It's also possible to do using a memory card exploit trick, which you'll find out there somewhere. involves having a friend with a chipped Xbox who can put you the program you need to run onto the mem card then doing *something* with the right game to get the program on the memory card to run - again to set your dash in NTSC.

You'll also need the Xbox high def pack, which is basically a component interface with a optical port on it as well.

The second method is a bit fiddly for me, having seen the difference between prog scan and non prog scan via component, I'm going the chipping route

9. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have chipped my box previously to run media centre, so that is no problem. I just have not found a uk source for the high def pack, but I will look again if I go the projector route.

Thanks again for your advice.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Lik sang do the MS xbox high def pack for £20 delivered, delivery in 5 days. When used with my Panny ae500 the high def picture is breathtaking.

I would not recommend using a projector as replacement for a TV, although many people do. I have a plasma set as well as the projector you definately get alot more bang for your buck with the projector.

11. firstwave

firstwave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now got the projector and a high def pack for the xbox.

When I set it up for 480p and 720p, I get very poor picture with bad ghosting. If I turn off 480p and just set the xbox to 720p the picture is great.

Is this right, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Darren

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have seen this problem mentioned in a thread before. Do a search on MS high def pack on the forums and you will get an answer.

I seem to remember that this does happen in certain circumstances with some games.

Incidentally where did you get your region switch disc from ?

13. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi firstwave, I would agree with most of the comments about TV on a proj however I read somewher that Optoma claimed their H30 was optimised for DVD and SKy digi by feeding RGB via a relatively inexpensive SVGA cable.

It was one of the reasons I eventually bought one and having now got hold of a decent Lindy 10 metre SVGA cable (£40) SKY is now what I would consider to be pretty amazing and comparable with DVD.

Sure you get broadcasts on certain low band width channels that wouldn't look good on anything however films on most channels look pretty dam good particularly the higher budget and more recent ones.

(PS don't know what an Xbox would be like though)

Regards, MikeD

14. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dont worry mate. My AE300 has done 3600hrs in about 375days (work it out!) Its mounted upside down on a high shelf with the lamp on low and the fan on high. Absolutely no probs. Probably got till the end of the Summer on this bulb. 1400 left out of 5000. IMO even getting a year out of a bulb used 9 hours a day @ 2-300 Euro's is a bargain. As for watching TV. I find my NTL Digital box connected via RGB emminently watchable. Sure the smaller special interest channels' lower bitrates become evident on the big screen, but the popular channels look nigh on perfect to my eyes thoug it must be said that I'm probably not as perfectionist as most around here.