1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre- Episode II jitters

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, May 4, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    When Episode I came out I was still a programmer working for someone else and I organised a trip for about 30 people to the Rubery THX cinema where we were all disappointed together.
    This time around I'll just be booking tickets for me and me lass. But at least we can go during the day.
    According to Harry at Aint it Cool News, Episode II is a good film and because it explains a lot of unanswered questions left by Episode I, it actually makes Episode I a better film.
    Interesting.
    Anyhow, I saw Star Wars first time round at what I think was exactly the right age for it to have a massive influence on my life. I was 12.
    I'm looking forward to it.

2. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It to had a big impact on me, and when i watched it again at the flicks 20 years later, it did again-but for the wrong reasons. I was board, my friends were bored and my girl was bored. So it made an impact on me when i was a young kid, but can this knew episode, have an impact on a jaded 30 year old? I hope so.

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I have to ask m8, but what unanswered questions is he on about?
    Maybe it's why they didn't top Jar Jar the second they found him :D

Or maybe it's why Lucas gave us such a cack movie...

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Well yes, 2 good questions there why WAS Phantom Menace so disappointing and why was that Jar Jar character in there for heavens sake.
    But the inconsistancies inside the Star Wars universe are the ones most anally retentive people go on about.
    I noticed a couple of the below myself but the rest were taken from some website or other.
    1. Like Why didn't Qui-Gon vanish when he croaked like Yoda and Obi-Wan did?
    2. How is it possible that Anakin's fighter flies right into a docking bay on the Trade Federation's Droid Command Ship when, according to their captain, "Nothing can get through our shields"?
    3. How can Qui-Gon, a Jedi master with enough mastery of the Force to be on the Jedi Council --" If you'd only follow the code you'd be on the council"--, fail to realize that his royal companion in Mos Espa is not Padme but actually the Queen herself? Or that Palpatine is a sith lord as is implied rather obviously.
    4. How did Darth Maul find out the Queen was on Tatooine--he refers to a "trace", but the Queen sent no transmissions?
    5. Why does Anakin's mother , a slave on a remote planet in the middle of nowhere, need a protocol droid --Uncle Owen understood that they were useless?
    6. When C-3PO ends up on Tatooine in Episode 4 and meets Luke, why doesn't he mention that he's been their before and that his creator's name was also Skywalker?
    7. If there is a biological basis for the force, i.e. listening to the midi-chlorians, why is this never even alluded to in Episodes 4,5 and 6? This biological basis seems to contradict the way Yoda talks about life and the Force in Episode 5--"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. " If midi- chlorians were really so important than "this crude matter" would be held in higher regard.
      [/list=1]
      Kind of thing.

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Isn't it amazing how some people just love to analyze movies to death :)

Can't say I was too bothered about any of that as I couldn't get past how bad the movie was. So why try and find holes in it?
    The only problem I ever had was with the fight sequence with Darth Maul. Why didn't Obi run like he did at the start of the movie (battle driod scene) when he was going through that pointless power beam thingy (or whatever the hell it was meant to be) ????

But that's just me over thinking what is in theory is just a kids movie. You could do this was nearly every movie made. They all have plot holes and things that just don't make sense.

6. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre
    Just thought you could add this to your list.
    8, In Ep 5 when Obi-One tells Luke to go to see Yoda to be trained as a Jedi he states that it was Yoda who trained him to be a Jedi.
    But in EP1 we see that in fact it was Qui-gon who trained Obi-one

I just hope George remembers to put in the flags when it comes out on DVD.

Samir

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, Samir.
    I realized Lucas screwed up the show with awful episode 6. It was even worse than the hated episode 1. At that point Star Wars saga died for me. I guess I was 15 or so.

But I could not prevent asking myself those questions you mantioned above.
    The point is if Lucas does not care why should we. He made the great story went crap, and he won ever more fans with it. Awfull! So BIG glitches. Brrrr

Just imagine what could it be if someone like JMS or simmilar got the story in his hands.
    We need time machine to change the past .........

:-(
    Cheers

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Plump, I take it you mean B5 JMS and have you seen LOTR (ok, but no series just pilot) and Jeremiah? I have and oh dear, he too has fell.
    I only saw Pantom Menace yesterday cause I've feared the worst after 6 ever since.
    I also wondered how/why we never saw the mythical slave devices removal/deactivation but young Skywalker just burst off the planet ok?
    5. The signal trace thing made me wonder if the hint was that a receiver, down loader if you like, could be traced.
    4. I got the impression Skywalker made C3PO to help his mum with basic chores and keep her company - possibly he 'sensed' she would need company later.
    Needless to say it was made too childish and followed ROTJ in this vein - teddy bears :mad:. I saw SW at Swiss Cottage first time round - 10yrs old - and loved it and got one of the film booklets. Then Empire, which is the best to date without doubt.
    Brings memories of seeing Jaws et al, Indi etc. good times mate. Let's Rock. And a big hello to you truckers out there.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Abso-radiofabfm-lutely mate! Let's Rock...

One of the biggest questions I had about Ep:1 was why would the people from Naboo ELECT a 14 year old girl to rule their planet?! :rolleyes:

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sorry, but the biggest question I have is why does the Trade Federation have a blockade of the planet in the first place?
    Or maybe I'm just missing something :confused:

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the idea was that Darth Sidious was manipulating them into it so that he could use the situation to gain the top job at the senate. But it is soooo poorly told that it isn't worth knowing!