Pre-Built from Scan

Aaah, is it motherboard specific then? I'm on MSI and it's all been good.

You'll be fine with either I think 🙂 Just be aware that if you go with AMD, depending on the motherboard you might...might... have the odd USB issue (mine for example won't recognise my VR headsets, had to get a separate card).

Yes i am sure i will, thanks again.

Sorry for making your choice that little bit trickier :p

FYI you can read some of the problems here and on the the AMD CPU forums you can see other big threads with problems with the Ryzen CPUs

No, its nice to find out what some of the issues are, and what i could expect, will definitely look into it all first.

Sorry for making your choice that little bit trickier :p

FYI you can read some of the problems here and on the the AMD CPU forums you can see other big threads with problems with the Ryzen CPUs
Core voltage at 1.48v when idle 🤣

Have you tried AMD ryzen master yourself?

One thing that was a high temp factor back when the 3xxx series got incredibly popular was rogue processes that prevented the CPU idling properly. Motherboard utility stuff, RBG lighting software etc. Get rid of all the guff as a first step. Maybe I've avoided it because I've been very choosy and only installed the bare minimum....

I also did venture into the BIOS and did all sorts of tinkering when I got the CPU. Ultimately backed it all out. Ryzen Master is fun and I occasionally enable PBO there to see what happens but otherwise I just leave it all alone.

One thing that was a high temp factor back when the 3xxx series got incredibly popular was rogue processes that prevented the CPU idling properly. Motherboard utility stuff, RBG lighting software etc. Get rid of all the guff as a first step. Maybe I've avoided it because I've been very choosy and only installed the bare minimum....

I also did venture into the BIOS and did all sorts of tinkering when I got the CPU. Ultimately backed it all out. Ryzen Master is fun and I occasionally enable PBO there to see what happens but otherwise I just leave it all alone.
Corsair iCue is (or was) supposed to be notorious for this. I've not experienced any issues luckily

You have to enable PBO in the BIOS, otherwise Ryzen just doesn't boost at all. Ryzen Master is fine for experimenting with settings, but as soon as you close it, it all goes out the window.

My 5900X gets very toasty, even at idle. Apparently this is "normal" according to AMD, so I just let it do its own thing, temperatures be damned. It still concerns me though.

You have to enable PBO in the BIOS, otherwise Ryzen just doesn't boost at all. Ryzen Master is fine for experimenting with settings, but as soon as you close it, it all goes out the window.

My 5900X gets very toasty, even at idle. Apparently this is "normal" according to AMD, so I just let it do its own thing, temperatures be damned. It still concerns me though.
At what voltage. Like I have mentioned, the default voltage seems way too high.
I just ran CTR, set the speed to 4.5Ghz and let it do its thing. Take the core speed and voltage and stick it in the BIOs

At what voltage. Like I have mentioned, the default voltage seems way too high.
I just ran CTR, set the speed to 4.5Ghz and let it do its thing. Take the core speed and voltage and stick it in the BIOs
I shall give that a try!

Not sure about this. I've left all the PBO stuff totally alone in the BIOS and I can see my CPU boosting up when under load (e.g. Cinebench). It only boosts up to a certain point though and also you're bouncing off hard ceilings which are usually one of PPT, TDC or EDC (if you look at Ryzen Master). Plus thermal.

I got the impression that enabling PBO in Ryzen Master or BIOS disables those three ceilings so you can pump more juice into the CPU meaning that boosts can last longer (but temps will go up). You'll never go over the advertised boost clock with or without PBO as I understand it.

Edit: just found this link, it's all a bit confusing. Explaining AMD Ryzen Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO), AutoOC, & Benchmarks

My head hurts reading all this, haven't got a clue what you are all on about :) Just give me an Atari 2600 please..

Not sure about this. I've left all the PBO stuff totally alone in the BIOS and I can see my CPU boosting up when under load (e.g. Cinebench). It only boosts up to a certain point though and also you're bouncing off hard ceilings which are usually one of PPT, TDC or EDC (if you look at Ryzen Master). Plus thermal.

I got the impression that enabling PBO in Ryzen Master or BIOS disables those three ceilings so you can pump more juice into the CPU meaning that boosts can last longer (but temps will go up). You'll never go over the advertised boost clock with or without PBO as I understand it.

Edit: just found this link, it's all a bit confusing. Explaining AMD Ryzen Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO), AutoOC, & Benchmarks
It boosts slightly without PBO, but it won't hit the advertised max clock speeds without it. At least that's the case with my chip. It won't go above 4.2GHz without PBO, when it should really be peaking at 4.8GHz (which it does with PBO)

The main take from Ryzens (from my experience) is you don't want to mess too much with them. Just pop the CPU in, attach a cooler, get your chipset drivers from AMD itself, the others from the motherboard site (and only the ones you really need). Enable XMP in the BIOS so your memory performs at the advertised speed and voila, you're set.

It boosts slightly without PBO, but it won't hit the advertised max clock speeds without it. At least that's the case with my chip. It won't go above 4.2GHz without PBO, when it should really be peaking at 4.8GHz (which it does with PBO)

That doesn't sound right to me. My 3700X advertises "Max boost clock" as "up to 4.4GHz" and I've seen it hit that (or slightly under) under load - not all core though.

I'd reset your BIOS, spin up Ryzen Master, run something beefy and see what's happening. Sounds like it's hitting a ceiling when it shouldn't be....

Which motherboard has longevity for upgrades (between AMD / Intel).

I don't know if it's changed but Intel motherboards used to only support 2 generations or so of CPU's so you'd need to change the board if upgrading the CPU more than one generation ahead.

Are AMD similar? i.e. boards only support 2 gens of CPU chips.

So AMD has been using the same socket for ages (AM4) but I think the current Ryzens will be the last to use it. AM5 will be using DDR5 from what I gather. I'd expect AM5 to have similar longevity to AM4.

Thanks @richardb70

Any idea when the AM5 will be out. Sounds like it might be worth holding on for that if its not too far in the future?

Thanks @richardb70

Any idea when the AM5 will be out. Sounds like it might be worth holding on for that if its not too far in the future?

No idea, sorry! I see AM5 items pop up every so often in my news feed but no solid dates yet (2022?). I'd personally bite the bullet and go AM4.

Thanks. Yes. 2022 is too far away. I was just checking in case of an imminent drop.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom