Pre-Built from Scan

Yreffej B

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all, tempted to get a pre-built form Scan in the next month, hopefully this will last me at least 5 good years.

Quick question well a couple really, the GPU is a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Ampere Graphics Card, just wondering what your thoughts are on it.

Also unsure on Intel or Amd if i was going to go down the Amd route the would the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core AM4 CPU/Processor Retail, be overkill ? Open to suggestions, on altering the components, especially the Cpu, and Ram, I have gone for 32 Gb.

I have attached the 2 builds

Or am i off my head :)

Intel Build

Amd Build

Many thanks

EVGA are one of the better GPU manufacturers and the best one I owned out of the 3 3070s I owned (the other being the FE and Palit). I also have a EVGA 3060ti mining and at 70% fan speed it is just about audible. You can upgrade the warranty to 5 years for about 50 euros I believe (or it may have been 10 years). I actually have a 3080 XC3 ultra on order from amazon France.
As for the 5900x, massively overkill unless you are doing any kind of processing (photo/video or CAD work). Same with the RAM (again unless doing processing).
I would go for a 5800x if possible and 16GB.

I think the general rule of thumb is AMD for all rounder.

Just had a look at that build. I'd swap the motherboard for the B450 as well, unless you need the USB-C front header. This batch of Ryzen CPUs are supposed to be the last using AM4 so either will be redundant when you come to upgrade (and DDR5 will likely be around).
Also get rid of Windows 10. You can pick it up for £10

EVGA are one of the better GPU manufacturers and the best one I owned out of the 3 3070s I owned (the other being the FE and Palit). I also have a EVGA 3060ti mining and at 70% fan speed it is just about audible. You can upgrade the warranty to 5 years for about 50 euros I believe (or it may have been 10 years). I actually have a 3080 XC3 ultra on order from amazon France.
As for the 5900x, massively overkill unless you are doing any kind of processing (photo/video or CAD work). Same with the RAM (again unless doing processing).
I would go for a 5800x if possible and 16GB.

Thanks Delvey, i just wanted a bit of re-assurance on the build, i thought the Cpu would be overkill, no dont do any cad work, or editing, as for the Ram, yes i shall swap that out too.

I think the general rule of thumb is AMD for all rounder.

Cheers Ono. i have always been intel, i was a bit unsure of Amd to be honest, but it does look like
Amd is the way to definitely go.

Just had a look at that build. I'd swap the motherboard for the B450 as well, unless you need the USB-C front header. This batch of Ryzen CPUs are supposed to be the last using AM4 so either will be redundant when you come to upgrade (and DDR5 will likely be around).
Also get rid of Windows 10. You can pick it up for £10

Thanks again, as long as it lasts me at least 5 good years, i shall be happy about that to be honest, USB-C front, no need for that, so will take a look and change it. As for Windows 10, agreed I didn't realise that i had that on the list.

Thanks again both.

Edit after taking on board, everything you said, i have changed the build and saved nearly £400, got the system down to £1932, thats a big saving,

Cheers Ono. i have always been intel, i was a bit unsure of Amd to be honest, but it does look like
Amd is the way to definitely go.
Intel is fine, you'll need to get at least a 11700k to get 5800x performance (and even then it falls a little short). The big advantage AMD has had is they have used the same socket for the last few years now with multiple series of CPUS, while Intel (used to be anyway) always required a motherboard replacement.

Intel is fine, you'll need to get at least a 11700k to get 5800x performance (and even then it falls a little short). The big advantage AMD has had is they have used the same socket for the last few years now with multiple series of CPUS, while Intel (used to be anyway) always required a motherboard replacement.

Yes, i totally understand intel are still fine, lot of videos i have watched they now prefer Amd as they say its better value, and yes the motherboard, would need replacing when updating.

Cheers Delvey, think it will be Amd this time around.

I have a nice beefy alphasync for sale on the classifieds . Quality machine , only 8months old barely used .

I have a nice beefy alphasync for sale on the classifieds . Quality machine , only 8months old barely used .

Thanks Mr.D, will check it out, after a long time considering things, i think i have decided to go down the Mini Itx route, really like the look of the Nr200p case.

EDIT

Finally decided, i am going to go with the Nr200p case, i already have a sfx psu, going to keep my 1080ti for the time being, all in all just going to cost around the £900 mark, just have to wait for some of the parts to come into stock.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Thanks Mr.D, will check it out, after a long time considering things, i think i have decided to go down the Mini Itx route, really like the look of the Nr200p case.

EDIT

Finally decided, i am going to go with the Nr200p case, i already have a sfx psu, going to keep my 1080ti for the time being, all in all just going to cost around the £900 mark, just have to wait for some of the parts to come into stock.

Thanks all
I'm also looking at a NR200P case build. If you can share yours that would be great.

Here's mine. Going to do it without a GPU initially and add one later.

I'm also looking at a NR200P case build. If you can share yours that would be great.

Here's mine. Going to do it without a GPU initially and add one later.

Many thanks, that part lists looks very good, i may have gone overboard myself, on the motherboard ;) , i don't need a Psu I already have one, so that has saved me some money, there are two fans on there which i intend to use on the bottom of the case, may get another one or two of the same fan for the top of the case.

Some of my parts are not in stock yet. I noticed you haven't put down a Cpu cooler yet on your list.

Hope this link works Pc Partpicker

Many thanks, that part lists looks very good, i may have gone overboard myself, on the motherboard ;) , i don't need a Psu I already have one, so that has saved me some money, there are two fans on there which i intend to use on the bottom of the case, may get another one or two of the same fan for the top of the case.

Some of my parts are not in stock yet. I noticed you haven't put down a Cpu cooler yet on your list.

Hope this link works Pc Partpicker

Thanks. I can see your link. I was going to use the stock cooler that came with the CPU but you make a good point and it makes sense to get an aftermarket one due to the size of the case.

Let me know how you get on with the build and how the "be quiet! Dark Rock TF 2 CPU Cooler" fits in.

Thanks. I can see your link. I was going to use the stock cooler that came with the CPU but you make a good point and it makes sense to get an aftermarket one due to the size of the case.

Let me know how you get on with the build and how the "be quiet! Dark Rock TF 2 CPU Cooler" fits in.

That's good, yes the Cpu cooler is the new one out, if you go to the bequiet site there is a motherboard checker, and it tells you if the cpu coolers fit your motherboard.

I went for that one as it will pull air in from the side of the case, i shall be using the perforated side, and not the glass side.

Just my opinion after having Ryzen for my last 2 builds, if I was buying a PC now I'd go back to Intel. My latest CPU is a 5950X

Just my opinion after having Ryzen for my last 2 builds, if I was buying a PC now I'd go back to Intel. My latest CPU is a 5950X

May i ask why you would go back to intel now ?

May i ask why you would go back to intel now ?
I buy PCs, I always buy the best I can afford, but never fiddle around with settings to get extra performance. The 5950X was the first CPU in my life that I experienced, which was not plug and play. Had to spend so much time messing around with Bios settings because the CPU was running hot even when not doing anything apart from background processes. Fans were ramping up to max, browsing and the temps would spike to 80-90 degrees, gaming temps were going to 100 degrees.

It's just not what I expected from a CPU. it got me questioning my PC building skills. Did I not apply thernal paste on right?, Was the heatsink on properly, maybe the fan cooler wasn't good enough, so upgraded to an AIO, which also produced the same results.

A real nightmare, luckily others at AMD forums had the same problems so I waited for them to troubleshoot and applied their solutions until it worked.

I kind of agree. I went from a nice cool 6700K to a very hot 5900X. The 12 cores are certainly nice and all, but I find I'm always nervously eying the alarming temperature readout on my cooler. And like yourself, I started having doubts about whether I fitted the cooler properly. I even changed out the thermal paste to be sure.

On the memory front, I'd stick with 32GB if you can afford it. 16GB is fast becoming the baseline these days. Personally I've had 32GB for the last 4-5 years, never had to run a page file.

How strange! My 3700X idles at very low temps. I'm not even using a very good AIO either (the Fractal S24). I've done nothing in the BIOS apart from XMP, so letting it do its own thing.

I buy PCs, I always buy the best I can afford, but never fiddle around with settings to get extra performance. The 5950X was the first CPU in my life that I experienced, which was not plug and play. Had to spend so much time messing around with Bios settings because the CPU was running hot even when not doing anything apart from background processes. Fans were ramping up to max, browsing and the temps would spike to 80-90 degrees, gaming temps were going to 100 degrees.

It's just not what I expected from a CPU. it got me questioning my PC building skills. Did I not apply thernal paste on right?, Was the heatsink on properly, maybe the fan cooler wasn't good enough, so upgraded to an AIO, which also produced the same results.

A real nightmare, luckily others at AMD forums had the same problems so I waited for them to troubleshoot and applied their solutions until it worked.

Many thanks for your reply, it really is much appreciated, now I am in two minds, I just want a plug and play to be honest, something that works straight out of the box. Intel has always suited me well, i have built 4 pc's all intel and never had a problem.

If i did go the intel route, which Cpu would you recommend, and which mini motherboard to go with it ?

Many thanks once again.

I kind of agree. I went from a nice cool 6700K to a very hot 5900X. The 12 cores are certainly nice and all, but I find I'm always nervously eying the alarming temperature readout on my cooler. And like yourself, I started having doubts about whether I fitted the cooler properly. I even changed out the thermal paste to be sure.

On the memory front, I'd stick with 32GB if you can afford it. 16GB is fast becoming the baseline these days. Personally I've had 32GB for the last 4-5 years, never had to run a page file.

Thanks for the reply, very interesting again, as for the GB will try to stick with 32Gb.

My understanding is the new intensive run just as hot.
As for messing about, I simply ran CTR and then manually set the recommended settings in the BIOS. For example, my 5600x was boosting to 4.6Ghz (or there abouts) at 1.35V and was hitting 60°C. Using CTR, I set it to run at 4.45 GHz at 1.225 V, this has reduced the temps down by about 10°C while not affecting performance while gaming.
Much simpler than the old overclocking malarkey as well

Many thanks for your reply, it really is much appreciated, now I am in two minds, I just want a plug and play to be honest, something that works straight out of the box. Intel has always suited me well, i have built 4 pc's all intel and never had a problem.

If i did go the intel route, which Cpu would you recommend, and which mini motherboard to go with it ?

Many thanks once again.
Can't help with choosing an Intel build as I believed the AMD Hype and just bought the best chip expecting it to have decent performance and no problems out of the box. Boy was i wrong.

Saying that, like Delvey said I'm sure I read the new Intel CPUs run hot as well...

Damn all i want is a plug an play, no messing about at all, I have never fiddled or altered with the intel chip i have now, just got on with it. :)

Yes i do believe almost all Cpus could run hot these day's.

Damn all i want is a plug an play, no messing about at all, I have never fiddled or altered with the intel chip i have now, just got on with it. :)

You'll be fine with either I think 🙂 Just be aware that if you go with AMD, depending on the motherboard you might...might... have the odd USB issue (mine for example won't recognise my VR headsets, had to get a separate card).

Sorry for making your choice that little bit trickier :p

FYI you can read some of the problems here and on the the AMD CPU forums you can see other big threads with problems with the Ryzen CPUs

If you do go AMD don't use Asus motherboards. They are the ones that have the most problems. I am using Asus atm as well Asus Strix X570-E

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom