Pre-Black Friday Deal on Samsung - take the plunge? Or wait on Sony...?

yarg

Novice Member
Hi All,

We plan to replace our old(ish) Sony 46-inch LCD with a wall-mounted 65-inch TV in our new place. We don't have a TV antenna or satellite dish and we don't game at all. The primary input source will be a Windows PC playing content off of our NAS or streaming on the PC from the usual services. The TV will be in a very bright sun-lit living room with large bay windows next to and directly across from the TV. There won't be any direct sunlight onto the screen itself, but my wife does like to have the TV on most of the day, either watching or just having it on in the background. In the evening we have blackout shutters that we use to darken the room completely.

All internet reviews point to OLED for the best picture quality, and in particular the LG G1 was appealing. However, when viewing one at the shops, the Sony XR-65A90J was near to it and I fell in love with the picture quality on that.

After a lot of reading though, it seems we should be concerned about image retention (eg VLC Player frame and controls being left on permanently by my wife while playing a movie... 🙃) and also the suitability of an OLED in a very bright sun-light room. So that has (sort of) switched me towards LEDs. Many reviews seem to indicate that the Samsung QE65QN95A is a very good TV, but again, side-by-side with the A90J there is just "something" about the picture on the Sony that draws me...

However, money is a factor and that's where Black Friday comes in! Here in France where we live I can get the following this week:

• Samsung QE65QN95A : 1490 euros (Black Friday sale and after 500 euro cashback from Samsung)
  • LG G1 : 1990 euros (full price, no Black Friday....yet)
  • Sony XR-65A90J : 2990 euros (full price, no Black Friday...yet)

So the Samsung is exactly half the price of the Sony 🤯 and seems like a deal that is almost too good to pass up, much as I love the Sony picture quality.
Is that Samsung price as good as it seems?
And I am right to be so concerned about OLED in my use case?

If I'm being too paranoid about image retention on a Windows HTPC, then any thoughts on if the Sony might come down to the 2000 mark at some point? (I would pay 500 euro extra for that picture quality, but I can't justify double the price...) Does Sony tend to do their Black Friday deals only the day itself? Or Xmas time perhaps?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!
G

Dodgexander

I think it sounds like an LCD TV is for you. I'd look at the QN95A you mention or the Sony X95J.
I wouldn't consider OLED unless you know you aren't at risk of leaving static content on the TV. You may find a discussion with your wife, on how burn in can happen may help, otherwise I personally wouldn't risk it.

There are also measures you can take on an application level, and windows level. Enable the screensaver, make the video player launch at full screen. Or even better, use the integrated apps for playback instead of an external source. Having an emby or plex server on your Nas would make it very easy to do this.

yarg

Novice Member
Thanks for your quick reply and suggestions! I saw you mention in another thread that the Q95A is the only one of the Samsung QLEDs that comes close to OLED quality...is it just my eyes or is the performance really that close to the A90J? Maybe it just wasn't calibrated nicely in the shop where I saw it up against the Sony, as it was a really noticeable step up for me to the Sony....?

On the other hand, even if we could change our habits and/or only use the integrated TV apps, it's still double the price for the A90J which just seems unreasonable if the performance is really that similar. Guess I need to find another shop and compare the two again to see if we still see such a stark difference....

yarg

Novice Member
PS I hadn't even considered the Sony X95J until you mentioned it. How would you say it compares to the Samsung please? Thx!

Dodgexander

You can't really judge in the shop but the differences between a top end OLED and an LCD TV will be quite obvious if you were to compare at home. They offer different things, which mean more to some people than others. To a layman, or a non-enthusiast you can argue you wouldn't really notice that much, but it really depends on you, your perception of the picture, your viewing conditions, your sources and your preferences for picture quality.

As for the Sony X95J vs the Samsung QN95A, see this recent post where someone was asking the same thing:

yarg

Novice Member
Yarg,

Where are you getting the €500 Samsung cashback offer?

Seems to be a national thing in France run by Samsung:

The shop where I went to compare models is actually in Switzerland and they have a similar promotion, also run by Samsung, except there the offer is 600 Francs cashback.

So many retailers are offering their own pre-Black Friday discounts of xx % and then there is the 500 euro cashback on top. In the pre-BF discounts so far, I haven't found anything on the LG or Sony premium OLEDs...

yarg

Novice Member
You can't really judge in the shop but the differences between a top end OLED and an LCD TV will be quite obvious if you were to compare at home. They offer different things, which mean more to some people than others. To a layman, or a non-enthusiast you can argue you wouldn't really notice that much, but it really depends on you, your perception of the picture, your viewing conditions, your sources and your preferences for picture quality.

As for the Sony X95J vs the Samsung QN95A, see this recent post where someone was asking the same thing:

Thanks for your advice and help, really appreciated!

Now just some decisions to make....

yarg

Novice Member
I think it sounds like an LCD TV is for you. I'd look at the QN95A you mention or the Sony X95J.
I wouldn't consider OLED unless you know you aren't at risk of leaving static content on the TV. You may find a discussion with your wife, on how burn in can happen may help, otherwise I personally wouldn't risk it.

There are also measures you can take on an application level, and windows level. Enable the screensaver, make the video player launch at full screen. Or even better, use the integrated apps for playback instead of an external source. Having an emby or plex server on your Nas would make it very easy to do this.

Actually, something else that "might" play a role: the main reason we use a PC to access the NAS (and not native apps + NAS server as you suggested) is that the primary other source of content is streaming services which we access via a VPN on the PC. I had the idea to search on whether TVs could natively connect to VPN services and it seems that since Sonys use Android OS, we could install the app of our VPN provider and then access the service we want that way....seems like that could be a "plus" in the direction of the Sony and could then potentially eliminate the need for PC altogether....?

Dodgexander

Actually, something else that "might" play a role: the main reason we use a PC to access the NAS (and not native apps + NAS server as you suggested) is that the primary other source of content is streaming services which we access via a VPN on the PC. I had the idea to search on whether TVs could natively connect to VPN services and it seems that since Sonys use Android OS, we could install the app of our VPN provider and then access the service we want that way....seems like that could be a "plus" in the direction of the Sony and could then potentially eliminate the need for PC altogether....?
Yes, with modern routers such as Asus models you can also connect to a VPN router side, to work with any TV.
Beware that using a VPN direct on the TV or router will not bypass app store restrictions. So you will still need to sideload apps that you want to use that are not available in the UK region.

yarg

Novice Member
Actually, I'm based in France but prefer watching UK/English-oriented content, so the VPN is for that and to avoid having all the streaming services displaying French titles. Would that work with the native apps in the Sony? VPN connection and then logging in to the streaming service with our UK account?

Dodgexander

Depends on the app. Some TVs rely on apps like Freeview/Youview to access catchup services and they won't work unless you have tuned a Freeview reception.

What you will be able to do in these instances is download the individual app from the play store, another app store, or sideload the app from a 3rd party source via your phone.

To use an example, Sony Google TVs sold in the UK are still missing UK catch up apps. This is because they no longer have Youview integrated like their older Android models had, and Youview is a gateway to access all catchup apps in the UK.

To bypass this problem people have been sideloading the apps to the TV. These apps are not optimized so some features may not work properly (for instance, HDR on the BBC iPlayer) but they work.

When Sony sort out the catchup app problem in the UK, its likely you will never be able to use the official apps because you won't have access to them without being able to tune into Freeview. You will however always be able to use other apps that you can sideload, or download from the play store.

There may also be differences in firmware in different regions, so its possible local TVs just won't get any UK related Youview/Freeview play apps at all. In that instance you'll have to download apps separately or sideload them anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom