1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bassmaster, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there... I'm going to get an Audiolab 8000Q pre-amp in september, but just don't know if I can use it on it's own for a while as I will be on a rather tight budget indeed. It's just I've only used intergrated amplifiers up until now, so any information would be grately appreciated. Thanks :).

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Only if you have a power amp or a av amp with 6 channel inputs then you can use the peramp to do all the processing and use the reciever to do all the power amp work.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Or active speakers

4. Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Is it possible to use my exsisting intergrated amplifier as a power amp?, or just the use of an AV reciever as you stated.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can use the integrated amp: connect the pre-outs from the pre-amp to any free line input (e.g. AUX or CD) and the speakers to the integrated amp.

Set the volume knob of the integrated amp to around 50% and then control the rest from the pre-amp.
    You could also check if the integrated has a switch (usually at the rear) to fix the gain and thus bypass the volume control; some Arcam amps for example have this feature.