Pre Amp vs Amp and Active Monitors

Wooogs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Forum

I've just bought myself an entry level turntable to start building a record collection of my very own. I have a Planar 1 (entry I know) playing through some active monitors I still have from my uni days. The output from the Planar is low meaning the volume / gain is cranked up very high on the active monitors to get much volume. Sound is generally OK but I'd like to achieve a few things with an additional purchase:

1) Boost the output of the Planar 1
2) Introduce some EQ tools
3) Add a Bluetooth channel (connecting my phone for example)
4) Add a remote control volume / channel selection function

I've read a bit that seems to heavily caution against using an Amp with active monitors (presumably to do with blowing the speakers). Equally Amps tend to have outputs that work for passive speakers and I regularly see "pre amp line out" phono which is what I assume I would use. Therefore, would a pre amp be more appropriate?

Hopefully I've been clear as I don't really know what I'm talking about, any guidance welcome!

Thanks

There's a risk of confusion here as we're talking about both a phono pre-amp & a pre-amp for the speakers. So to separate I'll refer to the phono pre-amp as it's other name, a phono "stage"

1) You need a phono stage, something like the Project Phono Box, or an amp with one built in.

2) Part of the phono stage's function is to equalise the reduced bass on a vinyl record. Google RIAA EQ.

3) Could be done with a simple bluetooth receiver if your speakers have a second input, or in conjunction with a phono switch box.

4) That will require an amp or pre-amp.

So the questions to consider are:

How much do you want to spend?
What are the speakers & do you intend to keep them?
If the speakers are replaced in future will you stick with actives?

Whilst a pre-amp seems the best solution in your current setup, they tend to be relatively expensive & short on networking/bluetooth. So as you correctly say, an amp with the features you want & pre-outs is the way to go if you want a single box with remote control. Which brings us back to budget.

As above it all depends on budget...

The absolute minimum you need for your turntable is a phono stage to boost the signal up to a normal level ...

You can get a basic one for around £50 - pre outs of your turntable in to that then the pre-outs from that to your active speakers if you have some way of controlling the volume on them.

At the other end of the scale something like this would tick every box and sound superb...

That will boost the signal of your turntable and allow you to control the volume of your speakers etc as well as allow you to add a CDP etc if required. However it may be a bit OTT if you only have basic active speakers so somewhere between the two items above might be better??

If you're happy with your speakers then forget about a normal amp altogether either get a phono stage and/or a pre amp!

Hello,
It does not look like the RP1 has an in-built phono stage.
You need a stereo pre-amplifier with a phono input to suit your cartridge, or a stereo pre-amplifier with line level inputs, plus an external phono preamp.
Alternatively you could use an integrated amp with a phono input, as long as it has pre outs for your active speakers.
In terms of EQ, I believe most active speakers have some way of tweaking the bass and or treble response. Otherwise you need to e controls on the amp. What active speakers do you have?
For streaming from your phone, you can buy a Bluetooth receiver for little money on Amazon and plug it to a line level input on the amp.
Please state as budget for the preamp/integrated amp and tell us what active speakers you have. And also if you are happy to consider buying second hand or only new.
Possibly the best value for money is a used integrated amp with phono input and pre-outs from the likes of marantz, Denon, Cambridge audio, rotel, nad.... Power is not an issue as you are using active speakers.

I’d go for this plus a Bluetooth adapter from amazon (aptx one, about £20 iirc) or add a Tuefel Connector at £109 for real streaming.

Proper preamp with good phono input and volume control plus lots of inputs for future stuff (streamer, cd etc).

Review -

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Or Rotel RA-01 which has phono input, pre out and tone controls, but no remote.
Or NAD C320 BEE plus an external phono stage If you want a remote.

Or something like this?
The problem with most budget amps like this is that they will have no pre-outs, so not suitable for your actives. So at your budget you're pretty much limited to used. My choice would be a Rotel RA-1062 if you can find one. Decent phono stage, pre-outs for your actives & plenty of power to drive passives if required in future. Then just add a bluetooth receiver.

Last edited:
Or something like this?

Sounds like the word I was looking for was integrated amplifiers and there are a few options out there.

Thank you

There is no way of connecting this to your active speakers. If you are looking for an integrated amp you need one with pre-out sockets on the back.

If you are sticking with the actives then a pre-amp with phono input is the obvious choice (second hand) or if you intend on going passive later then the integrated with phono input plus preout may be better.

A cheap option for active speaker that has worked well for me is a phono preamp plus a passive preamp (switching inputs and volume), like this, plus add a Bluetooth adaptor from amazon.

Or if you like the boutique look the Tisbury do a phono preamp and passive preamp for £300 for use with active speakers.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The problem with most budget amps like this is that they will have no pre-outs, so not suitable for your actives. So at your budget you're pretty much limited to used. My choice would be a Rotel RA-1062 if you can find one. Decent phono stage, pre-outs for your actives & plenty of power to drive passives if required in future. Then just add a bluetooth receiver.

Sorry yes you are right,

Thanks

There is no way of connecting this to your active speakers. If you are looking for an integrated amp you need one with pre-out sockets on the back.

If you are sticking with the actives then a pre-amp with phono input is the obvious choice (second hand) or if you intend on going passive later then the integrated with phono input plus preout may be better.

A cheap option for active speaker that has worked well for me is a phono preamp plus a passive preamp (switching inputs and volume), like this, plus add a Bluetooth adaptor from amazon.

You're correct ta.

I'd rather get one piece of kit that sits under the turntable if I can

Cheers

Like this -

Like this -
No remote with that one & IIRC, you can't turn it on without! Easily solved with a Harmony or cheap poundshop job though. That one's also rather expensive as they've been going sub-£200 recently.

You're correct ta.

I'd rather get one piece of kit that sits under the turntable if I can

Cheers

If you are sticking with actives then I’d go for the rc1070, the aptx Bluetooth boxes are typically the size of a matchbox so can be tucked around the rear. Second would be the ra1062 if one pops up at a sensible price as identified by @RBZ5416, around £200.

However, here is an outside that may also do the job and if you plan on adding a subwoofer at anytime this will help. Arcam FMJ AV8 surround processor with phono input, these were £3k new but cheap now as they do not have hdmi ports. Plus it has a decent WM8740 24/96 dac with lots of inputs. I used a similar Rotel RSP1066 as a preamp (paid £36 for it!) and that worked very well especially with a subwoofer (lower quality dac though, rsp1068 is better)

Last edited:
I’d second the AV8 suggestion. Used to have one that i picked up for £186 on ebay, and it was a ludicrously good preamp for what you can pick them up for. Don’t pay too much on a ’buy-it-now’ though, wait for an auction. £186 might have been a bit lucky TBH, but maybe up to £300 would be reasonable given age etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom