Pre Amp Turntables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Brambles, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi I am looking to buy a turntable and am a little confused as to preamped and phono stage. I am assuming one is a follow on from the other? I wish to use my sonos speaker with it

Can anyone help please?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +893
      They are basically interchangeable terms - Richer Sounds calls Arcam's rPhono a pre-amp whereas HiFi Plus and What HiFi call it a stage

3. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks That is what I wondered. So complicated. So these should all be usable with a Sonos. Don't suppose you have any recommendations?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +893
      What budget? What turntable? Are you happy with MM only or do you want/need MC compatibility too?

5. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi was looking up to afew hundred pounds Not sure what the difference is between MM and MC

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +893
      When a coil of wire and a magnet move relevative to each other it generates an electrical field in the coil. This is the principle of how a turntable converts the groves in the record into a signal. MC and MM simply dictate if its the coil (MC) or magnet (MM) that moves.

In more practical terms, MM tend to give a higher powered signal and were traditionally at the budget end - most built in phono stages in amps etc only officially support MM. MC on the other hand are traditionally much lower output but there are some high powers ones these days that output close enough to a MM that an MM stage can be used. MC are often claimed to be "better" (debatable) and pricing wise start off where MM start to drop off.

Unless you intend to continue to invest in turntables then its probably not worth paying the extra for a stage that supports both.

7. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,362
    8. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you I was looking at Audio Technica AT-LP120 Silver Direct Drive USB Turntable

I guess your choices are better. As long as I can attach the sonos to it as well either would be great.

9. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,362
      Also a question, how will the turntable connect to the Sonos. I thought they had no inputs?

10. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I was told

For the Connect, you will need a Stereo RCA to RCA. (Included with purchase of Connect).

For the Play:5 you need a Stereo RCA to 3.5 mm Miniplug. (Not included with purchase of Play:5)

for the Sonos. I do expect a lot from anything I buy - hence asking the experts!

11. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,362
      Well on your Sonos choices I do not see a USB port.
      In all honesty you would be better off looking at a mini system and turntable.
      Example Denon CEOL RCD-N10 & Monitor Audio BRONZE 2 I doubt the Sonos could even match this one for inputs and flexibility. Only issue is wires to the speakers instead of mains plugs to the speakers, so no loss there.
      Then you just need a straight forward Turntable that will plug in. Project DEBUT SE3 (Black)

Suggest you read up a little more or even ask further questions here. A good Hi-Fi shop should sort you out.

12. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,132
      To make the grooves fit on the Vinyl they have to use RIAA Equalization, and the output from a typical Cartridge is very low about 5mv, so the Pre-Amp also needs amplification to bring the signal up to Standard Line Level. That's what a Phono Pre-Amp does, it does the counter-equalization and adds about 100x amplification.

Here is the RIAA Equalization Curve -

RIAA equalization - Wikipedia

We assume you have a MM (moving magnet) Type Cartridge which by a substantial majority is the most common type.

Some turntables have an Equalization Pre-Amp built into them. These can usually be switched On and Off, so you can use the Pre-Amp in the turntable or the Phono Input on your Amplfier, but you can only use ONE or the other. If you use neither or both, you will get NO equalization or you will get Double equalization, neither of which will work properly. So, one and only one Phono Equalization Pre-Amp.

This is a very straight forward Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, but only for MM Cartridges, which is, as I mentioned, by far the most common type -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-MM-Amplifier-Black/dp/B000YEK1AQ/

Steve/bluewizard

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,132

The Audio Technica AT-LP120 is a decent turntable for the money. I think I recently saw one for about £224. Though admittedly I have not shopped around.

At around £200, these are probably the best turntables -

Project Essential III Turntable

Project Essential III A Turntable

Project Debut SE3 Turntable Inc OM10 Cartridge Gloss Black

Audio Technica AT-LP120USBHC Hi-Fi Turntable

Note the Audio Technica LP120 has a Phono Pre-Amp Built in. Though it can be switched on and off as needed.

You have to decide what your working BUDGET is for a Turntable.

Steve/bluewizard

14. Brambles

Brambles
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Thank you. I have been speaking to Richer Sounds and they have suggested AT LP5 or Teac TN350. Any ideas?

15. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,132
      Nothing wrong with either of those, but they are pushing you closer to £300 - (£279) -

Audio Technica LP5 (Black)

Teac TN350 (Matte Black)

If you can cross the £300 barrier, then this is probably a very worthy Turntable.

Project Debut Carbon w/ 2M Red Cartridge - £350 (assorted colors) -

Project DEBUT CARBON DC (Black)

If you must stay under £300, then here are some others to consider -

Audio Technica AT-LP120 - £199 -

Audio Technica ATLP120 (Black)

Denon DP300 Semi-Auto Turntable - £249 -

Denon DP300 (Black)

This has a Auto-Start/Auto-Stop feature which can be very handy.

Pioneer PLX500 DJ Turntable, Direct Driver - £299 -

Pioneer PLX500 (Black)

This is like the Junior version of the professional grade PLX1000 Direct Drive Turntable.

Again, I judge mostly based on the quality and design of the Tonearm, and these all have nice tonearms. Just a question of which best serves you.

Personally, I would likely go for the AT-LP5 over the TEAC 350, though the 350 is still nice. I think the 350 is just the 300 but with a "S"-shaped tonearm, which I personally prefer.

The AT-LP120 from Richers is at a bargain price of £199 making it a bit more appealing.

If you can afford the Project Debut Carbon w/2M Red, that is a considerable upgrade for a small amount of money more. I think I have seen the Debut Carbon for a bit less.

Project Debut Carbon DC Turntable

Again the Debut Carbon is available in a range of colors. And again, that is a considerable upgrade on all fronts relative to the other turntables being considered.

The REGA Planar 1 PLUS (£329) is in the same price and class as the Project Debut Carbon, and is also a very worthy turntable -

Rega Planar 1 Plus Turntable

You have quite a range of turntable to choose from in the range of £200 to +£300. I suspect they are all good, just a matter of which one suits your needs and your budget.

Steve/bluewizard