Pre Amp Is Back, Time For Some HGS Lovin...

Apocalypse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Finally got my Marantz AV9000 pre amp back from repair today so was able to fully test out the HGS18. I won't bore you all with the details but for both movies and music it's everything (and more) I had hoped for. Ice field scene in Titan AE when a shard of ice hits another and cracks just brought a huge smile upon my face that took 5 mins to fade :)

I never thought a sub could have such an effect on the overall sound, I'll be watching most of my DVDs all over again put it that way.

Regards
Phil

Originally posted by Apocalypse

I never thought a sub could have such an effect on the overall sound, I'll be watching most of my DVDs all over again put it that way.

Regards
Phil

Join the club :D I still can't believe the difference one of these babies makes to the movie experience. The best upgrade for me to date, even though its a mere HGS-15, its an amazing beast.

Rob.

I just played the Neo v Morpheus sparring scene from Matrix, errr........ hello to previously unheard sounds. The low end thud when the combatants make contact with the floor was never detected with my previous subs :eek:

My two favourite demos atm are Titan AE (DTS) and "The Ultimate DVD Platinum" disc 1 (Demolition film). Nobody else seems to ever talk about that demolition film but I love it, if you want a DTS soundtrack to really shake the room it's the winner for me, there are about 7 explosions in particular that just hit you in the thorax area. Where Titan AE's bass is meant to be deep, the demolition film's bass is meant to mimic a huge explosion and it certainly does that. The 2 previous subs just couldn't go low enough to do the explosions justice, that is why only now I appreciate the bass in this film. Dolby Digital DVDs too are just as visceral, Godzilla and Independence Day caused much trouser flapping :)

I said I wouldn't bore you in the first post, I got carried away sorry :blush:

Apocalypse
This is indeed great news to hear that your pre-amp is back in the chambers, which means you will be firing up the beast for the next 125 years.
Do you know what is so frigging great about this sub??????
It keeps digging up new reasons for me to start grinning rather daftly (and i've had it since July).....
For instance, my mate, who's a Drum & bass artist brought over some of his new, fresh from the studio trax the other night...
He, now, likes to use me, as a hard-coded demo merchant, as i have the ability to portray thunderous basslines, which he cannot get in his studio!!!!, plus he likes to hear how his stuff sounds on 'home' equipment (shows how his EQ & mixes sound)
We spun a few of his new stuff, & he sat there and just started laughing when he heard the lowend bassline of his newest track..
'Adz, Adz, Adz........play that bit again.....play that bit again....!!!!
Then, he gets on his mobile, phones his 'studio' partner & says......'You gotta hear this tune on Adz's system'...'It's firing, it's firing'.....Gotta say, that despite my predicament of swapping kitchen/lounge, it did sound bleedin' spot on.......
He uses a powered Mackie setup with top end software so using my Dynaudio studio monitors & HGS, we can get a good idea of what his stuff sounds like for the 'masses' to buy.....
Tonight (Friday), i'm holding what's commonly known as a right p**s up!!!!!!....we're gonna get nasty with the bass.....
Keep posting your thoughts & impressions on your HGS.

Adzman..

Originally posted by Adzman
He uses a powered Mackie setup with top end software so using my Dynaudio studio monitors & HGS, we can get a good idea of what his stuff sounds like for the 'masses' to buy.....

Adz, if the "masses" have the same setup you have and are gonna play drum and bass all over the UK, I'm going to get my eardrums surgically removed today:mad: ;)

Nobber

Adz, if the "masses" have the same setup you have and are gonna play drum and bass all over the UK, I'm going to get my eardrums surgically removed today

:) Yes, you do have a point......

I think that the 'Drum & Bass' massive would enjoy UK domination of Dance music.......

Not sure the rest of the population would though:eek:

Adzman.

Rob

1250 watt amp peaking @ 3000 watts is hardly mere!!!!

Adzman.....

Exactly. There arn't many 15 inchers around that can boast that kind of power & performance :p

Looking forward to Blade II tonight. Thats if I don't crack the disc trying to get it out of the case, as I did with the first one.:mad: Not good.

Cheers Rob.

Originally posted by Rob

Looking forward to Blade II tonight. Thats if I don't crack the disc trying to get it out of the case, as I did with the first one.:mad: Not good.

I always wondered if that was a risk, my query has been answered now :eek:

I watched Windtalkers tonight, the HGS18 never ceases to surprise me with it's sheer power. When shells explode or artillery guns fire a shell the low frequency made my whole body tingle. I'm seriously concerned that going to the cinema will now seem hollow after tasting HGS power.

Regards
Phil

Originally posted by Apocalypse
I always wondered if that was a risk, my query has been answered now :eek:

Regards
Phil

Only if you're too exited to take the time to push the middle in first. :rolleyes: I'm sure normal people wouldn't have a problem.

Rob.

Never got to watch Blade II. Got the disc out, no problem, unfortunately Godzilla Jnr. woke up the baby daughter 10 minuits in and I'm not popular (as ever). I think a purchase of some very small earplags may be in order.

Rob.

Nobber

:) Yes, you do have a point......

I think that the 'Drum & Bass' massive would enjoy UK domination of Dance music.......

Not sure the rest of the population would though:eek:

Adzman.

Sounds like fun for the population of my house
Peshay & Dillingja 247 :devil:

Samir:)

Just finnished watching "The Sum of all Fears".
While Ben Afleck has the acting ability of a plank of wood, every time a jet fighter takes off, a helicopter lands, a missle is fired, my face just looks like....well...:D :D :D
I've owned mine for many months now and I have to say, its one of the best pieces of hardware I've ever owned period.
I love it.

Originally posted by uncle eric
Just finnished watching "The Sum of all Fears".
While Ben Afleck has the acting ability of a plank of wood, every time a jet fighter takes off, a helicopter lands, a missle is fired, my face just looks like....well...:D :D :D
I've owned mine for many months now and I have to say, its one of the best pieces of hardware I've ever owned period.
I love it.

Snap, I watched that film yesterday, the transition from the quiet moment in the film to when the nuke suddenly blasts caused two of us in the room to go "whoa" in unison.

Uncle Eric - Do you or have you ever watched "Jungle Fever" on Disc 1 of "The Ultimate DVD Platinum", it's a DTS short film about demolition explosions. Of all the demos I've played for people it's without doubt the most shocking for the victims who watch it, Titan AE chapter 16 is the most impressive demo for overall sound but this explosion film has 3 particular explosions that are without doubt THE most potent chest and room shaking sounds ever heard in my room, without any prompting from me the same explosions always have the same effect on the unsuspecting, namely the raised eyebrows followed by a big grin and either an expletive or a shake of the head. In your Batcave you should have even more of a shock factor with your impressive frontstage :eek:

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil,
I know the one you mean but don't own this disc. I'll try and pick one up and give it a whirl on my system.

Eric,

I've just traded for sum of all fears. Looks like I had better get those ear plugs sorted out :D

Rob.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom