1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-amp for Home Theatre

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dHes, Oct 27, 2005.

1. dHes

dHes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help. I want to enjoy both listening to CD's and watching DVD's.
    I had my mind set on buying the Denon 3805 and 3910.
    Would I be better off, buying a power amp and pre-amp, instead of the Denon 3805.
    Any suggestions?
    PS Is a pre-amp the same as an AV processor?

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should list the equipment you have already!.

The Denon's you mention might be really nice Surround amp's for the money they probably are, but they also might sound less good than your current set up when listening to CD's.

I read the 3910 has outstanding 2-channel audio playback quality.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/denondvd3910modp1.php

Sometimes adding to what you have can be the best sounding option.
    But not everybody likes to stack equipment.

A pre amp is not the same as an AV processor.
    Find out what a Pre amp is by looking it up on Google.

3. dHes

dHes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have only purchased the speakers for now. Wharfdale Pacific Evo 30's, Pacific center, and bookshelf Evo 8's and Paradigm PS 1000 sub.
    Had mind set of the 3805 and 3910 combo but then read about a pre/pro setup. Not to familar with this. Can anyone advise further.
    Cheers
    Des

4. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    An integrated amp or receiver such as the 3805 has the power amp and processing sections contained in one box. By seperating the power amp and processor it means that in theory the quality of components should increase and ultimately performance will be improved, which is why for example there is a huge difference in price between Arcam's AVR300 and their AV8 and P7 combination.
    The pairing of the 3805 and 3910 will set you back around £1500 - £2000 if bought new so examine other options for this amount before deciding especially the dvd as you may find that a 2910 or the new 1920 may suffice leaving you more money to spend on other AV goodies :D