Pre-2011 blu ray player

bobiscuit

Standard Member
I have an old 720p LG TV that doesn't have an HDMI connection.

I am aware that if I connect a new blu ray player via component cables, the HDCP will not allow me to see high definition content.

So I'm looking for an older model that will still show me blu-rays in 720p HD over component cables.
I don't need any bells and whistles. If I can use USB to play divx files then that's a bonus.

Since it's gonna be old and (probably) second hand off ebay, I don't want to pay much. Under £40 would be good.

Any ideas?

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
I have an old 720p LG TV that doesn't have an HDMI connection.

I am aware that if I connect a new blu ray player via component cables, the HDCP will not allow me to see high definition content.

So I'm looking for an older model that will still show me blu-rays in 720p HD over component cables.
I don't need any bells and whistles. If I can use USB to play divx files then that's a bonus.

Since it's gonna be old and (probably) second hand off ebay, I don't want to pay much. Under £40 would be good.

Any ideas?

Have you got a DVI connection? You can use HDMI to DVI cable to connect these (DVI supports picture only) - I used to have that on my old LG TV.

bobiscuit

Standard Member
Yep the TV has one DVI port, which is connected to our Virgin Media box via an HDMI to DVI cable.

If I connect a new blu ray player to our TV with an HDMI to DVI cable... Will I still get content at 720p or will the HDCP protection prevent that?

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
bobiscuit said:
Yep the TV has one DVI port, which is connected to our Virgin Media box via an HDMI to DVI cable.

If I connect a new blu ray player to our TV with an HDMI to DVI cable... Will I still get content at 720p or will the HDCP protection prevent that?

You should get 720p. I had only one dvi port so used a hdmi switch to use sky and blu-ray to share it. Auto switch will even switch devices when you turn them on. How is sound connected though, if to TV then you would need to switch that too, so if only 2 devices you might be better using component for one to keep it simple. I had a dvd recorder connected over component.

Does virgin box have component out?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom