1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prcdirect saying TH42PW6 is discontinued!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zedzed, Aug 27, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I send prcdirect an email to get a quote on a PW6 and a few bits and pieces.

I don't think I'll be going with them (I've a few other "preferred" providers but I thought I'd email and see what their customer service was like ;) ) and they've sent me an email saying:

Dear Sir/madam,

Thank you for your mail. With regards to your enquiry, we apologise but the product is now discontinued.

Kind Regards,
    Customer Services
    PRC DIRECT
    ================

Bizarre or what! I'm assuming that they mean that they don't have it in stock and aren't planning to get it back in - but that email is totally misleading! (unless all you sellers of PW6s are keeping something from us ;) )

ZedZed

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    ZedZed

As the Panasonic 7 series is launching sometime in September it is true that the PW6B silver will get increasingly hard to find. Our Panasonic rep has confirmed that Panasonic UK have had their last stocks which are now going out to dealers (although it has to be said that occaisionally more arrive on the scene :rolleyes: ).

It appears, at the moment, that there still quite a bit of stock of the PWD6 (charcoal).

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Alastair.

I'm speaking to one of your collegaues and awaiting from a quote back from him too :thumbsup:

Is there any more information on the confirmed launch date (and details on the plasmas) yet?

I'm quite happy to go with the PW6 - but it's a catch 22 situation - do I wait for a 7 series and face the possiblity of higher prices and no PW6 stock left, or do I buy know and face the possiblity of having bought a peice of kit that is superceded by something new that's selling for roughly the same price!

As you're "retailer related" I'm not expecting you to give me a totally honest answer on that one ;)

Anyhoo - to say that the PW6 is "discontinued" right now is a bit OTT - I mean - it's not as if I can buy the "new" PW7, is it :rolleyes:

ZedZed

4. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, thats the teensy problem I have right now... especially since we wont be dropping the hammer until earlyish september...
    Will there be good deals on the PW7's?.. or better ones on the PW6's?

decisions decisions :rolleyes:.

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tricky, isn't it docjan. Made especially tricky as I don't really have a "close runner-up" to the Panny that I could get if prices moved against me and i couldn't afford a PW7. :suicide:

decisions decisions! :rolleyes:

Zed

6. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    In terms of release dates for the 7 series we've been told sometimes towards the end of September however dates can slip on the introduction of new products so I wouldn't like to stick my neck out and be more specific.

In terms of buy now or wait for the new models - difficult call :rolleyes: . One key difference is that an HDMI card will be available for the new silver and charcoal displays. Having said that we have fed some high definition clips to a Viera through EPC's award winning HTPC and the results were impressive considering it is only a standard definition screen.

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So .. what's going to happen to the Viera when the new 7 series comes out?

I mean - it's not been in the shops /that/ long.

Will the 7 series start of as just panels and then the viera will be changed to use the 7 series glass instead of the 6 series?

Sorry I've gone slightly :offtopic: here ! :laugh:

Zed

8. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Same here guys,money burning a hole in my pocket,mrs fed up with me going on about it,but im still in two minds aswell,wait for a price drop or wait for pw7 ??

9. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the Viera, I'm looking at buying one around the end of September. However in Japan they have the Viera PX300 which a) is based on the series 7 panel, and b) looks a lot nicer. I believe this model is also being introduced stateside soon.

Are we likely to shortly see new Viera models this side of the pond? I know you can wait forever to buy as new products will always be 'coming soon', but if we're likely to see the PX300 this side of Christmas I would happily hang on a bit longer.

Do any of you retailers know anything about new Viera models coming to the UK?

Andy.

10. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Andy

Haven't heard anything myself. Maybe another retailer may want to jump in if they've got wind of anything.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Prices for new technology always drop, I suspect what we will see is the PW6
    will drop in price to approx £1700 (mid Sept) with the new "7" appearing on the market at about £100 more than the current PW6 price (end Sept). After Xmas the new "7" will be available at £100 less than the current PW6 price in attempt to compete with everyone else.

Buy quickly and regret at leisure.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Look at the PW6 price history as against the PW5. PJC is on the right lines, though a bit too optimistic, the PW7 will be more than £2100 on release, until robust supplies are available. The other way of looking at this is 'how much better will the PW7 be?' Do I buy at an excellent price now, or pay more for the latest kit with a marginal improvement, especially bearing in mind you might easily wait another 2 months for PW7 stock.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Or if DVi is not priority buy a Fujitsu VHA......... Panny never do much between models, and veira will be around for until after Xmas, As far as i can guess Panny will be making PW6,7,8,9,10 etc as they supply panels to a lot of other manufacturers so while they come out with a panasonic badge there will be plenty about.