1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRC Direct what do you think??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Darko, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I ordered my sammy 850 the other day From PRC Direct and today they rang me up asking for a further 11 quid because they had run out of region 2 players and they now have to ship a multi region??? after I explained that I was not gonna pay a further 11 quid for something that you do over the remote for free they got a bit stuttery and did not know what to say so I said look just cancel the order as I can order the player elseware for the same cash they backed off and said well we are willing to give me the player for the original priced charged............ (change of heart!!!!!!).

What concerns me is how many peolple pay the extra 11 quid and dont challange it,,,,It just seems a little dodgey to me.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone else dealt with PRC Direct?

Whats with the multi region bit ? Do samsung make multi region and region 2 or is this a fiddle..

Cheers Darko

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I've used PRC twice now, for TVs, and they have been fine.

When i had my Samsung dvd player, 845 i think it was, to make this multi region you juswt need to type a code in from the remote. I would have thought that would have applied to all Samsungs, maybe not?

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    it just seems a good way to get a few extra quid out of a noob...
    But maybe I am a bit weary cause they backed off so quick and agreed to the origonal price.

mmmmm ifeee

Cheers for your feedback inzaman also I love your home cinema bud.

Cheers Darko

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It does seem a bit strange tbh.

Cheers mate :smashin:

5. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a Toshiba sd350e from them a couple of weeks ago - they hadn't even emailed me within 5 days to say it was on the way so I called them only to be told they hadn't processed the order yet. I cancelled it, went to leconcepts.com, ordered it and received it the next day. I don't think I'll use PRC again, there was just no communication and they were waaaayyyy too slow.

6. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    PRC Direct are not making a good name for there selves I hope my order does not take a week !!

7. tealtony

tealtony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a Samsung PS42S5H in July and paid for express delivery, one week and several phone calls later they still hadn't given me a delivery date. I got a refund on the express delivery and eventually arranged a delivery date last week. However their courier tried to deliver it a day earlier than agreed and there was no-one home. I cancelled the order today and won't be using them again. :thumbsdow

8. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    There prices are good but customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a Panny DVD recorder from them last year and had a lot of hassle with the payment. Because I live in a block of flats there system couldn't accept payment without me giving the EXACT address that was on my Visa. I phoned my bank and got exactly what they had on record but they still couldn't process it. They weren't particularly helpful, their only suggestion was to come to the shop in person, which I did. I was told to ask for a particular bloke who would sort me out with a price reduction for my trouble. Got there and he had never heard of me.

9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    My AE500 came from PRC, and they were fine. Being fair, they're not far from where I live, so I actually picked it up from the shop, which probably focuses them somewhat.

10. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    hi all, newbie here.

Little story to share...my yammy ax750se developed a fault with the sub-out as it produced an unnatural constant 'hum' earlier this year whilst still under warranty. I called their service department and was advised to take it down to the store, which i did. They asked me a few questions like are you sure it's not a problem with your sub? I reassured them that i have two subwoofers and they couldn't have both developed a fault at the same time. They took the amp away (no temporary replacement provided) and told me it should be sorted in two weeks. Five weeks and many phone calls later they contacted me and told me it was ready for collection.

On visiting the store, a member of their in-store service team inform me that their service department found nothing wrong with the amp. I replied that that was impossible and it soon became a technical slanging match between us - the man becoming more agitated and losing any self composer he may have had to begin with as he delivered the inevitable 'who's the technician here, who knows more'. I then insisted that we take the amp to the shop floor, hook it up to one of their own subwoofers and see what happens. He reluctantly agreed and upon hooking it up, guess what, the sub was producing a constant hum. :suicide: His face turned rather ill as he apologised for the mistake and assured me that he will personally take it up with their service department. A further two weeks later the amp was returned with the problem fixed.

It took over seven weeks and much aggravation for all this and all i got was a half-hearted 'sorry'.

11. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I am glad I am not by myself here and also thank you for reviving my thread. The sammy that I bought off them has never worked properly and to be honest I cant be arsed to call them and sort it out.

Cheers Darko

12. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Used PRC few years back on a S-vhs Panny video, took bloody ages to comes, tried to chase it up, but every time I spoke to another radom guy, who always gave me his name, but the next guy had never heard off.... not used em since.

13. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Well I hope mine is ok. I got a call from them yesterday saying that they had no region 2 players in stock, which is what I ordered. They asked if I wanted to pay for a multi-region player. I said no because of the remote hack, which can be done to the cheaper player(they claimed this may mess up the menu settings,which I re-butted). In the end I was put on hold and after a short time they said they would give me the multi-region player at the same price as my original order (sounds familiar). I also asked the sales rep to ensure that the HDMI cable was not going to be removed from the box, he replied that there was no-way they would do such a thing. To be fair the person I spoke to was very nice and I have no reason to assume that they have been nothing but very reasonable with their offer to send a multi-region player. :thumbsup:

14. SkyFirePDL

SkyFirePDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered the LG 37LZ31 on Wednesday. They called and confirmed stock on Friday morning. Offered express delivery for £35(ish) which I said yes to, and then offered £99 2 year warranty. Told them I hadn't budgetted for that much and could do the warranty but not with the express delivery. They sold me the warranty and gave me the express delivery for free.

Got a call yesterday from delivery company asking whether they could deliver today, which I agreed to. Got a call at 7.20am stating they'd be at my house in 15 minutes, which they were (give or take a minute).

So, from the point of view of getting the TV in to my house I'm happy with them. I just hope I don't have any problems that would cause me to find out how good or bad their after-sales service is. ;)

ta,
    Phil D.Long

15. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    is it me or dont they answer the phone?

16. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's a Multi-region scam!

I heard that now, all European DVD players are multi-region hackable as thats what the consumer wants and in fact it was the superstores that brought this about with their cheap imports that are multi region out of the box.

Units here are never advertised as multi-region and in fact most can't be made as they are Japanese specific made. My Pioneer was twice the price of the domestic equivalent as it was imported from Singapore - work that one out!