1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praise for Play.Com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by I J S, Mar 4, 2002.

1. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having waited over a week for A.I. to arrive I got home from work today to find the usual Jiffy bag with Play's logo on the front.Unfortunately the Jiffy bag was empty!!

On closer inspection the end had been ripped open and the dvd removed, although the robbing ~#$"!%^ was kind enough to leave me my invoice......thanks!

I have had dvd's not turn up in the past but never had an empty Jiffy Bag turn up before!Utterly dismayed I contacted Play and told them about the situation and they have arranged a replacement immediately,even though it wasn't their fault :)
    Thanks guys!

I asked if I should contact the police which I was more than willing to do but the lady I spoke to at Play said I could but it would probably be a waste of time and almost impossible to trace.

It just makes me livid that someone (probably in the employment of the Post Office..probably) is helping themselves to people's dvd's in transit and getting away with it.:mad:

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad someone is happy with Play at the moment.

Ordered Buffy R1 boxset in Jan - Was sent Jan 14 - Still waiting :mad:

Have sent half a dozen E-Mails and tried phoning, but always engaged :confused:

I know that this has been done to death on these forums but it just makes me mad. They take your money quick enough, but if theres a problem well........... Its pretty hit and miss if you get something done!!!

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Dont' Play send recorded still? So someone had to have signed for it - Postie slipping up and not bothering to carry it back to HQ? S/He could be questioned on this...

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,506
    play haven't sent recoreded for years!!!

Espically R1 titles!!

5. Jasoon

Jasoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to mjn that play haven't sent recorded for years I take it you haven’t ordered anything from them for years!
    As I’ve had items sent by play this year that have been sent recorded delivery.

Personally I’ve been using play for over two years with no problems.

Jason.....

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,506
    nope..use them all the time, well not as much as i used to...well hardly at all.....since the customer is non-existance..but anyway when i first started to use them the first few dvd's were recorded, but after about September 2000..no more recorded, and i've got friends in uk, who never get them recorded either.!!

7. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    R1 are not recorded any more where as R2 ones are. I think. I havent bought a R2 DVD for 2 years :D

Paul

8. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I J S,

One consolation: The chances are, whoeverer nicked won't have a multi-region DVD player. Shame you can't see the look on his/her face when they settle down to try and watch it.

RDB :)

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have used play for about 2 years now with only one problem. One of my jiffy bags turned up empty. i complained to the post office who sent me a claim form. i filled it in and sent it back saying my dvd had been stolen as the bag was torn open. They then sent me a book of 12 stamps as compensation. I rang the helpline and complained again about how they have just added insult to injury etc by sending me stamps in place of a £16 dvd. About 1 week later I got a cheque for £16. If you keep at royal mail you will win in the end. I have just had a similar problem which was also compensated by a cheque off royal mail.
    Most of my dvds still come recorded although at one time it was all of them!!:p

10. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously i wouldn't condone such behaviour, but if you claimed money back from the PO and got a replacement from Play then you'd be getting a very nice 2 for the price of 1 deal :devil:

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very happy with Play's post-Xmas service. Placed an order for 'The One' and 'Jay & Silent Bob' at the weekend. They sent me an email cos my debit card details were wrong, I corrected them and the discs were shipped 24 hours later. No complaints since the last batch... yet.

12. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RDB - good point...I hadn't thought of that! :)

Well, I gave it a try and contacted Royal Mail to complain and I was informed that it was down to the Sender to fill out some form or other and then the Sender would be refunded!

I imagine Play will follow it up and receive the money back from Royal Mail.

At least I'm getting a replacement:)

13. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ordered from play last Monday, on Thursday nothing had turned up so I took a look on their site to see that It had been posted Monday evening. My two previous orders had tracking numbers on them, but this one just said 'POSTED' so I rang the number on screen. I was answered in about 3 rings, I explained that the disk had been posted on Monday and it was now Thursday afternoon. I was told that 5-7 days is usual for the UK from Jersey (but only 3-4 days from the other side of the world) but that I would have to wait 14 days before they could report it lost to the Post Office. I then mentioned the lack of tracking number, she asked if the disk was R1, no, under £10, no, because the Post Office had told them that they would not be recording anything under £10 from January.

Luckerly the disk turned up Saturday morning.:)

14. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered perhaps thirty dvds from Play and am entirely happy with the service.

OKk it took longer than 24 hours at Christmas, but if that is a surprise to anybody then they must be stupid.

They sent the wrong DVD once, but sent the correct one immediately I reported it and paid the return postage for the one I sent back.

One did not turn up after a week. I telephoned them - they said wait for a fortnight, which I did - then they sent a replacement when it still did not turn up. It's hardly their fault if Consignia don't do their bit.

And Spartacus Criterion had a keepcase that had been damaged in the post. Because it was a non-standard case (double alpha), they asked me to return the whole thing and refunded the postage. Otherwise they would have just sent a replacement case, I think.

So one problem was an easily and amicably corrected cock-up by them, and two problems were to do with the post office.

Never had a problem telephoning them.

15. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one thing taht does bug me is that on their website it says anything in stock is sent within 24 hours. I have ordered well over 100 dvds in the last couple of years and I would say only about 10% were sent within 24 hours. Most were sent about 2 days after ordering, somtimes longer, even when they were in stock. Still, I would not use anyone else unless play have not got the title I want. Dont know why but they cant get some dvds, quite a few actually.

16. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I buy most of my DVDs from my local Computer Exchange if they have it 2nd hand, or MVC (with member's discount) if they don't. I have had a lot of problems with Royal Mail, and buy the time you add insured delivery, the net is no cheaper.

17. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered probably a couple of hundred DVD's (50/50 between R1 and R2) from Play in the last 2 or so years.

Based on my experience, R1 DVD's are NEVER recorded delivery, and as others have stated they are shipped from Canada that seems to make sense.

Until the last 6 months, EVERY R2 DVD was recorded delivery, but now it seems to be very hit and miss. As an example, in the last 3 weeks I've ordered 14 Stargate SG1 DVDs (All R2, all the same price) and yet 50% have been recorded, 50% have not.

The only thing bugging me about Play at the moment is posting times, that has truly gone downhill in the last 6 months or so, before that I could order a DVD, and if it was in stock there was a 99% chance it would be posted within 24 hrs. Now when I order in stock DVD's it varies between 24hrs and 4/5 days... which is very annoying.... but they let themselves off the hook by saying "usually despatched in 24hrs".

Overall I'm still a fan of Play, but things have begun to slide, and they are not as clearly ahead of the rest as they once used to be. So I shall be watching carefully!

Mark.

18. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one other funny thing. I now keep getting e mails off play saying my dvd has been posted. However, this e mail arrives about 1 week after I have recieved the dvd. STRANGE..